May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did another 6 hours over 2 days & we have gridded over 90% of the scatter for the second time. We nearly had as many coins the 2nd time as we did on the first!
I found a nice Brooch today which if we don't come back, was a good finish.

11 Roman Coins (Fridays hunt)
7 Roman Coins (Todays)
2 Roman mystery partifacts
3rd C AD Gilt & Spoked Roman Brooch - A first of this type.:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 131
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 20
Fantastic brooch!
I have read and tried cleaning them Romans before.
I have bought them off the internet.
What are your method?
Here is one I'm working on.
Any idea what it is?ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453737521.579341.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453737534.797397.jpg

Fantastic brooch!
I have read and tried cleaning them Romans before.
I have bought them off the internet.
What are your method?
Here is one I'm working on.
Any idea what it is?View attachment 1264601View attachment 1264602

Yeap - Allectus - antelope left - Funny enough we have had 2 of these from this current site.

I just use water & then museum Wax for the better ones.

Yeap - Allectus - antelope left - Funny enough we have had 2 of these from this current site.

I just use water & then museum Wax for the better ones.

Gotcha. Thank you.
Very cool looking coins..

Gotcha. Thank you.
Very cool looking coins..
If it has a sandy deposit on it, I use electrolysis to loosen it off. But if you do it to long it takes off all the patina.

If it has a sandy deposit on it, I use electrolysis to loosen it off. But if you do it to long it takes off all the patina.

Oh ok.
What do these date around.
I was going slow, leaving them in distilled water then using toothpick so I didn't lose the patina.

Oh ok.
What do these date around.
I was going slow, leaving them in distilled water then using toothpick so I didn't lose the patina.
Just had another look & its Gallienus AD260s, might be a Doe/deer, instead of Antelope.

PS. Toothpick is fine, I often use my nails, they will break before they damage the coin.

PS. Toothpick is fine, I often use my nails, they will break before they damage the coin.

Thanks Cru!!
Will see what I can find in Kings Lynn in Norfolk at the end of March.. Hope the weather is good then

Thanks Cru!!
Will see what I can find in Kings Lynn in Norfolk at the end of March.. Hope the weather is good then

Dads got the full ID;

I think that the coin Vino has is anAntoninianus Sears 10201 type - with a Stag standing left: So would be:

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG Radiate Head right
Reverse: DI[ANAE CO]NS AVG: Stag standing left
Coin Date AD267-270 minted Rome with remains of X[I or II] in Exergue

Thats a killer brooch Cru! No way to finish this site with that. Finish till harvest, ok. :thumbsup:

Dads got the full ID;

I think that the coin Vino has is anAntoninianus Sears 10201 type - with a Stag standing left: So would be:

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG Radiate Head right
Reverse: DI[ANAE CO]NS AVG: Stag standing left
Coin Date AD267-270 minted Rome with remains of X[I or II] in Exergue

Thank you and Cru dad!!
George

HEY CRUZ I HAVE A BROOCH JUST LIKE THAT , I WISH . I WAS GOING TO TRY A LITTLE DETECTING TODAY BUT CANT SEE THE GROUND FOR THE 38 INCH SNOW FALL FROM THE BLIZZARD THAT WENT THRU. SO I FIGURED I SIT HERE AND STARE AT SOME ROMAN ARTIFACTS. THAT BROOCH IS VERY COOL . CRUZ NICE FINDS.

0717ee1f0f759fc35038e4edeeb538.gif

Hi Cru,
do u ever think why this coins lay on the fields?

Last edited:
Hello Crusader, I always enjoy your posts to see what kind of 1,000 - 2,000 year old goodies you have unearthed. You must have over 100 pounds of those dark colored coins. I think you sometimes refer to them as 'scrappies?'. Do you just toss them in boxes and store them or do you display some of the better ones?

Your posts never disappoint . Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back