Rosewood Caches

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Partial history of the ISLAND HOTEL

You're right ECS, it was Grover Cleveland that stayed at the Island House. There is a plaque that mentions this at the hotel. I just got my presidents mixed up.
Built in 1860 of Florida tabby construction as the PARSON & HALES GENERAL STORE.Maj Parson was a commander of CSA volunteer coastal defenders,and the general store was used by both the Confederates and the Union as headquarters,(depending on whom occupied Cedar Key )during the War of Northern Agression.
In 1884,the upstairs was employed as a hotel,but held no official name as a hotel.
1896,was damaged by Hurricane #4,as was most of Cedar Key and Atsena Otie.
1915,Simon Feinberg bought the old general store/hotel and named it THE BAY HOTEL.After discovering that his manager had a still hidden under a false roof,Fienberg died under mysterious circumstances the next day.
During the 1930's,it was rumoured to be a house of ill repute,and after years of neglect,in 1946,new owners restored and renamed it THE ISLAND HOTEL.
...and,yes,it is said to be haunted.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Cache or no cache it is a good place to hunt. sounds like a ghost town. Just the age makes it a good place to find silver coins and relics from an age gone by.
All the small islands,patches of sand and stone surrounding Cedar Key are great places to seek relics and artifacts.Rosewood,as a town,ghost or otherwise,does not exist except as a roadside and zipcode...and all is on private property.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am in Rosewood every weekend. I have detected on some private property, not far from the airstrip, but found nothing. The people who lived in the area were dirt poor at the time of the riot, so I would be surprised in anything of much value was found, other than relics.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
It is illegal to take anything off the remote islands. Plenty of Rattlesnakes, if you want some of those.

Built in 1860 of Florida tabby construction as the PARSON & HALES GENERAL STORE.Maj Parson was a commander of CSA volunteer coastal defenders,and the general store was used by both the Confederates and the Union as headquarters,(depending on whom occupied Cedar Key )during the War of Northern Agression.
In 1884,the upstairs was employed as a hotel,but held no official name as a hotel.
1896,was damaged by Hurricane #4,as was most of Cedar Key and Atsena Otie.
1915,Simon Feinberg bought the old general store/hotel and named it THE BAY HOTEL.After discovering that his manager had a still hidden under a false roof,Fienberg died under mysterious circumstances the next day.
During the 1930's,it was rumoured to be a house of ill repute,and after years of neglect,in 1946,new owners restored and renamed it THE ISLAND HOTEL.
...and,yes,it is said to be haunted.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is illegal to take anything off the remote islands. Plenty of Rattlesnakes, if you want some of those.
Also a lot of biting INSECTS!!!:laughing7:
...but sometimes,when kayaking around you just find things,and pick them up,or sometimes you meet Ranger Kim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread