Rotten find today. Spotz is really POd

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Rotten find today. Spotz is really PO'd

I was shocked this afternoon. After swinging the new DD1400 coil at an old site for two hours with ZIP to show except a ton of trash ( Old site, I dug it all ) I decided to drop in for a quick visit at my local Foster Pioneer Cemetary. Within the last 3 weeks, some retard ( probably kids ) has broken one of the 130 year old, tall spire monuments. The top 18 inches was broken off at an angle. I sat it back up & it is fairly solid & I don't think the wind will bother it. I was so pissed I couldn't see straight. It could not have been anything but a purposeful vandalism. It is supposed to be sunny here for the next two days so I think I'll go back with some Epoxy & see if I can do any good. I just can't understand why anyone would do that. It is one of the few beautiful untouched markers out there. It was in the pix I posted a while back. Some idiot doing this will automatically give us all a BLACK EYE in the mind of the uneducated average do good citizen.
Spotz

Upvote 0

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Re: Rotten find today. Spotz is really PO'd

Oh man, that just SUX!!! But good for you trying to help out.

HH, ya'll!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

You think that is bad - a couple teens in our town went on a spree on an 1835 cemetary(North Olmsted). I remember driving by it with the yellow tape everywhere and I felt sick. I don't know how many were broken but I would venture to say at least 50 stones were knocked down. I don't know if the kids were doing drugs or booze or both. They made the teens do community service...and I'm sure a lot more greif from the community!

Bob

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

A few years ago, probably none of us would have gotten excited about things like this. Isn't it something how much smarter we get when we get a little age on us. Our important things in life tend to change. I remember thinking that older citizens never knew what they were talking about, & now I am one.
Spotz

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't you just hate that!

I'm proud of ya spotz! Get 'em all fixed back up!

Nana ;)

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

Try concrete glue, works good. Home Depot sells it. Same thing happened here a few years ago at one of the ghost town cemetery's ( cemetery is only thing left) A lot of local residents got together and repaired all of the damage on our yearly "Make a difference" day. They drilled holes in both halves of the stones, and used steel rod & concrete glue. Most of the repairs aren't even noticeable.

Paul

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are several sites on the internet on monument repair. Here's one...
http://www.gravestonestudies.org/

There are some glues (etc) that will actually eat the stone over time and do more harm than good.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Mirage said:
You think that is bad - a couple teens in our town went on a spree on an 1835 cemetary(North Olmsted).? I remember driving by it with the yellow tape everywhere and I felt sick.? I don't know how many were broken but I would venture to say at least 50 stones were knocked down.? I don't know if the kids were doing drugs or booze or both.? They made the teens do community service...and I'm sure a lot more greif from the community!

Bob

Spotz and Bob, those are the same type of people that do stupid things like this. It irks me as well that they have no respect. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to make it look humorous.

Attachments

• dead people.jpg
    dead people.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 458

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

That is sad Spots... I commend you for wanting to repair it, although I would be careful you don't get into more trouble trying to fix it than they would have vandalizing it.
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

I can probably get away with it as I am Chairman of the City Planning Commission.
Spotz

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max

I hate to see not only disrespect to people but pieces of history.

what ever happened to good ol' cow tipping?
(not that I've ever done that either)

Attachments

• tipped.jpg
    tipped.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 363

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was young I thought I knew it all.? Now that I'm old, I can't remember any of it!? Monty

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Spotz,
Give it your best shot at fixing it up and go on. There will always be some element in society that doesn't understand why vandalism is wrong. All we can do is try to fix what we can and try to educate the ones who don't get it. Sounds like everyone here is behind your effort to do the right thing.
Thanks for caring AND ACTING

grizzly bare

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Sorry you got skunked. I'd like to find out why anyone you deface a cemetary like that.

DugHoles

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Thanks for the support all. I was just "venting my anger"! I will take care of the repair. Rob, I have a deaf, autistic & physically handicapped 31 year old son, so I know what you are saying only too well. It was not a wise choice of words at the time.
Spotz

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i know exactly how you feel spotz. my grandparents are buried in a very old cemetary in easton md. this graveyard has revolutionary and civil war vets buried in it and most of the families that are buried there have no surviving members. i only get down that way about once a year and last year i got an ugly surprise when i went to visit.some jackasses had overturned a third of the old stones and broken them up into little pieces.some of the names have been lost forever.it made me sick to see it and i was so angry i wanted to kill whoever did it.when i was a kid i was no angel to be sure. we drank and drugged and acted like asses a lot of the time,but we would never have done something like that. theres just no point in it.sometimes it seems like the younger generation has no respect for anything ......including each other. look at all the shootings and violent crimes commited by younger and younger people.most of them are caused by someone wanting respect and not getting it from another.its as if a whole generation has gotten the idea that respect is just given and is not earned. it sucks and its really sad.

T

tallpaul

way ta go spotz,, we need more like you,, great guy, its a shame when teens and people alike do this kind of horrid thing,, but there will always be this knid of crime around, we just gotta do what we can, to put things right,, i know they need a good thrashing, and maybe then they'll see the error of there ways, id give them more than community service.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stupid punk kids like that need more than community service. They ought to bring back the stocks, and public whipping for sleazebags like that. I guess were to "civilized" for that now thought (driiiping with sarcasm). Good job on attempting to repair it Spotz, we need more people like you my friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread