Royal Regiment of Artillery, Half Cent, 1864L? Injun!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had a blast today after work at a hunted out field that Ive been to many times with my shadow. Now Im using the T2 and it's like a whole new field. First good target was an 1809 Half Cent! My 2nd of the year. Then I popped out this beauty of an 1864 indian. I am not sure how to judge if its an L or not can't really see an L. Does have a narrow mouth though you be the judge. Then I popped this beautiful Royal Regiment of Artillery button. I think it dates about 1812 because it is not convex. Just flat no back mark. Also found a local relic. Pewter or lead rosette or seal that says "A Mcully? and Son's Camden NJ". Also found a few buckles. My buddy Matt got a nice tombac cuff and a 1901 injun. Some of these targets especially the HC were super deep. Im not used to digging beyond the 12" shoveled plug. Can't wait to get back out with the T2 tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the pics. :headbang:
P8200538-1.jpg

P8200544.jpg

P8200545.jpg

P8200533.jpg

P8200534.jpg

P8200541.jpg

P8200542.jpg

P8200543.jpg

Upvote 0

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what a day! sweet button! good luck tomorrow~! :thumbsup:

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro
nice finds , ican see the L book says $34.50 but im sure thats high grade, still a cool find tho.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Superb finds Jim! Contrary to what you said, I believe the flat buttons are older than the convex. My guess is circa 1790. I know I have seen one like it before on a site but I don't have it bookmarked!

Here is a similar one that dates back to the American Revolution. As you can see it is one piece-flat. This one is dated 1774-1783, but the cannons are different on your specimen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=L3...vm16yYwl6Hvlo7AN-tKA&ci=35,283,891,654&edge=0

This is an amazing summer find! Congratulations!

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys, having some trouble finding the same button on the net. Mine is totally flat no convex. Its in really good shape which makes me thinks its post 1812. Any button experts out there.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Superb finds Jim! Contrary to what you said, I believe the flat buttons are older than the convex. My guess is circa 1790. I know I have seen one like it before on a site but I don't have it bookmarked!

Here is a similar one that dates back to the American Revolution. As you can see it is one piece-flat. This one is dated 1774-1783, but the cannons are different on your specimen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=L3...vm16yYwl6Hvlo7AN-tKA&ci=35,283,891,654&edge=0

This is an amazing summer find! Congratulations!

Can go either way because there's plenty of flat button that aren't as old as some convex. I think you're right about 1790s so the Colchester site probably right but I wouldn't always take what's said on there as being 100%.

I'm pre coffee here so I ain't gonna open a book yet, :-X but I believe the three cannon Artillery buttons only go back to 1785 and none were ever recovered in the context of an American Revolution site.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also pre coffee but

I pulled my 3 cannon flat one, same as this one along with 2nd Americans, Royal Provincals, Royal Fencible Americans and nothing post that at a Rev War Site...never opened a book yet either but I do believe they range in the Rev War era also...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
I am also pre coffee but

I pulled my 3 cannon flat one, same as this one along with 2nd Americans, Royal Provincals, Royal Fencible Americans and nothing post that at a Rev War Site...never opened a book yet either but I do believe they range in the Rev War era also...

Dug in Canada is not the same because even if almost every find is period the site is post war and that's a huge difference. Some of the soldiers might have been there through the Rev War period but you know most of the Loyalists didn't arrive until 1784-86.

PS... I do actually call those early Artillery Rev War, just because they are in the book and I always have, but I think they are 1785. Going to have to open the book soon. :laughing7:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! The T2 is next on my wish list.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
I am also pre coffee but

Dug in Canada is not the same because even if almost every find is period the site is post war and that's a huge difference. Some of the soldiers might have been there through the Rev War period but you know most of the Loyalists didn't arrive until 1784-86.

PS... I do actually call those early Artillery Rev War, just because they are in the book and I always have, but I think they are 1785. Going to have to open the book soon. :laughing7:

Well just had my coffee...have to agree with you when most of the Loyalist buttons being found after the fact, however the site I dug is a Rev War camp site and not post Rev War, have proof of this being a Rev War camp site... I do realize in this hobby that anything is possible... It is in the book and marked under post rev war and undated button and "I" believe these buttons were around during the Rev War, but I could be wrong... Again this site produced nothing post Rev War and a lot of relics and coins came from this site...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
I am also pre coffee but

Well just had my coffee...have to agree with you when most of the Loyalist buttons being found after the fact, however the site I dug is a Rev War camp site and not post Rev War, have proof of this being a Rev War camp site... I do realize in this hobby that anything is possible... It is in the book and marked under post rev war and undated button and "I" believe these buttons were around during the Rev War, but I could be wrong... Again this site produced nothing post Rev War and a lot of relics and coins came from this site...

I know the Loyalist unit you're talking about, but that's different because they arrived in Canada at the start of the War. Show me a 2nd American camp in Canada in 1779 and I'll have to change my thinking.

PS.. You can delete your own post. :wink:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! That is a great button Jim ! :o and congrats an the half cent and the nice 64 Fattie ! That button though has my mouth watering ! :thumbsup: MaineRelic

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no books on these but always believed the 1790s figure was about right :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the ID guys. Can't believed it survived that long with the gilt still intact. I guess I can blame the loamy soil :icon_thumleft:. Do these buttons have any value? I havn't seen one in better condition in any of the examples I've seen?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthJerseyJim said:
Thanks for the ID guys. Can't believed it survived that long with the gilt still intact. I guess I can blame the loamy soil :icon_thumleft:. Do these buttons have any value? I havn't seen one in better condition in any of the examples I've seen?

Yep you can't ask for much better for dug. As for value put it this way, it will be VERY easy for you to keep.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
SouthJerseyJim said:

Yep you can't ask for much better for dug. As for value put it this way, it will be VERY easy for you to keep.
:D

I have a whole jacket full of convex ones.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! Reminds me just how much our area has to offer. Can't wait for cooler weather and to cool my heels on garage sales and start the digging again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread