Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out woods hunting this after noon and started a new area on the side of a hill.
It wasn't long and I got a 75 reading on the DFX and I'm thinking silver.
I started digging and I see leather so I widen the hole to be carefull.
The leather was two inches down and the lowest point of the leather was six inches.
I pulled at the leather pouch and it came out and the coins slide out on the dirt
and that's when I seen two gold coins laying on top of each other.
Man I finaly got gold and wasn't sure what they were untill I got home right after I showed MPfish
My neighbor and detecting friend. He keep puting one in his pocket and I was saying don't rub them.
They both are 1914-s Saint-Gaudens,Twenty.Dollar gold. There is writing on the edge
e plu.ri.bus u.num. "Latin. One out of many. The motto of the U.S." and 13 stars.
Yes i'm very happy . It's my first and second gold coins ever. I have pounded that place many a day and a lot of days I came home with nothing.
I'll try to borrow mikes camera with macro setting to get better pic's since my camera is only for general picture takeing. I hope you all can experiance the finding of a gold coin or two.
rodgerdodger

Attachments

• my greatest day detecting 001.JPG
    my greatest day detecting 001.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 7,838
  • more pics 004.JPG
    more pics 004.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 7,277
  • more pics 003.JPG
    more pics 003.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 7,256
  • more pics 002.JPG
    more pics 002.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 7,466
  • more pics 001.JPG
    more pics 001.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 7,317
  • new pics 005.JPG
    new pics 005.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 7,345
  • new pics 004.JPG
    new pics 004.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 7,375
  • new pics 003.JPG
    new pics 003.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 7,399
  • new pics 002.JPG
    new pics 002.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 7,414
  • woods-april 24, 005.JPG
    woods-april 24, 005.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 7,697
  • my greatest day detecting 002.JPG
    my greatest day detecting 002.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 7,779
Upvote 3

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Mr. Rodgerdodger, congratulations on a stupendous find! My girlfriend has a '24 St. Gaudens Double Eagle in her collection but it was handed down to her, not dug up, and definitely not dug up with an identical twin!!

These are beautiful coins, and I can't imagine how much fun you've been having with this--but you deserve all of it. As someone said, I don't remember seeing a Double Eagle here before now, either.

You da :icon_king:

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jtshombre said:
Rodger, you've made the find we all dream of!!!! :thumbsup: A big congrats, and here's to many more stellar find, good luck and HH!
Thanks jtshombre.

R

robbuckalew

Holy @&%*!!!

That is a serious find.

If you ever need me to hold on to them for ya, give me a shout...lol :icon_jokercolor:

Big CONGRATS

Sig.png

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Admiral de Salee said:
Mr. Rodgerdodger, congratulations on a stupendous find! My girlfriend has a '24 St. Gaudens Double Eagle in her collection but it was handed down to her, not dug up, and definitely not dug up with an identical twin!!

These are beautiful coins, and I can't imagine how much fun you've been having with this--but you deserve all of it. As someone said, I don't remember seeing a Double Eagle here before now, either.

You da :icon_king:
Thanks much Admiral de Salee. I think it's just starting to sink in what a great find I have found. You are saying that no one on treasurenet has ever found two St. Gaudens. I wonder if anyone on here has ever found one.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o OH MY GOSH, ROG!!!! :o AMAZING finds!!! :o I've never even seen that coin till today!! What a beauty!

I'd probably not get a wink of sleep for a week after finding something like that! :D

I'm SO proud for you!! Congratulations!!

Nana :)

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
Rodgerdoger I live in Vermont and work in Lebanon New Hampshire ...Every day when gettin off interstate 89 on NH side of river and at end of offramp I see the same Saint Gaudens sign.Is this the same dude who designed the coin as I think it's or was his home at one time perhaps a park or somethin anyhow you have me very jealous as I have yet to find gold anything. I believe the exact location is toward plainfield NH.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana40 said:
:o OH MY GOSH, ROG!!!! :o AMAZING finds!!! :o I've never even seen that coin till today!! What a beauty!

I'd probably not get a wink of sleep for a week after finding something like that! :D

I'm SO proud for you!! Congratulations!!

Nana :)
Thanks very much Nana. I think I was up untill 5:30 in the morning and got about 5 hrs sleep and hit it again.

AndyM

May 20, 2006
Rochester
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger,

Excellent!! Sure beats the heck out of finding beat up zinc cents across from Lourde High School surface lot, eh? Still gotta get you to the Zumbro Valley Ther's club meetings. That would be find of the year for sure (And maybe even the decade).

Hope to see you out and about in Roch.

Andy Marxen

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whispers said:
Rodgerdoger I live in Vermont and work in Lebanon New Hampshire ...Every day when gettin off interstate 89 on NH side of river and at end of offramp I see the same Saint Gaudens sign.Is this the same dude who designed the coin as I think it's or was his home at one time perhaps a park or somethin anyhow you have me very jealous as I have yet to find gold anything. I believe the exact location is toward plainfield NH.
Thanks whispers.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AndyM said:
Roger,

Excellent!! Sure beats the heck out of finding beat up zinc cents across from Lourde High School surface lot, eh? Still gotta get you to the Zumbro Valley Ther's club meetings. That would be find of the year for sure (And maybe even the decade).

Hope to see you out and about in Roch.

Andy Marxen
Thanks AndyM.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG :o That's the most incredible find...I, like Nana had no clue to what that coin was till I read your post. I bet you've been on cloud 9 ever since. Congrats on the find, and on the banner. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Re: Saint-Gaudens,Twenty.Dollars

Diggemall said:
Congrats on the find of a lifetime !

Two buckles on the leather.............Suggests a larger bag - maybe a saddlebag........... If so, I would be searching the area even more with your gain cranked because only two coins in such a relatively large bag would be kind of odd................ Might be somebody buried the bag along with two missed coins seperate from its contents.............. if so I would expect the rest to be buried deeper..........

Diggem'

Exactly what I was thinking!!!!!!!!

hoover-jr

Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XLT/Explorer II
Well Fellow hunters today I had the privilege to actually handle these two beautiful 20 dollar Gold pieces today that rodgerdodger found!!
I met up with Rodgerdodger at a local park and did a little hunting with him.He showed me an area where he dug up an old spike of some type and a couple old bottles.I took my Explorer II and went over the spot where these bottles were found.I did get a faint but good signal.So I dug and I dig and I dug!I finally pulled the signal out of the hole.It ended up being a V nickel at around 10+++.He told me to check the hole again for any more signals so I did and got yet another faint signal so I once again repeated the same steps .

As it turned out I once again pulled another coin out of the hole at about the same depth! a 1919 wheaty!!
Amazing!!!It doesn't get any better when you can pull coins out of the ground at 10 inches!!!
Thanks Rodgerdodger!!

Attachments

• Resize of 2009-05-01 021.JPG
    Resize of 2009-05-01 021.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 319
OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hoover-jr said:
Well Fellow hunters today I had the privilege to actually handle these two beautiful 20 dollar Gold pieces today that rodgerdodger found!!
I met up with Rodgerdodger at a local park and did a little hunting with him.He showed me an area where he dug up an old spike of some type and a couple old bottles.I took my Explorer II and went over the spot where these bottles were found.I did get a faint but good signal.So I dug and I dig and I dug!I finally pulled the signal out of the hole.It ended up being a V nickel at around 10+++.He told me to check the hole again for any more signals so I did and got yet another faint signal so I once again repeated the same steps .

As it turned out I once again pulled another coin out of the hole at about the same depth! a 1919 wheaty!!
Amazing!!!It doesn't get any better when you can pull coins out of the ground at 10 inches!!!
Thanks Rodgerdodger!!
Thanks hoover-jr. I want to thank you for taking the pictures of the Saint-Gaudens $20s.They turned out great and I will get some of them on here tomorrow. By the way I was surprised to see you pull out that 1906 Liberty nickel and the 1919 Lincoln cent.Congrats

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
River Rat said:
OMG :o That's the most incredible find...I, like Nana had no clue to what that coin was till I read your post. I bet you've been on cloud 9 ever since. Congrats on the find, and on the banner. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wink: RR
Thanks much River Rat. I think your right about being on cloud 9.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread