Saturday Field Hunt

centraliowa21

Mar 23, 2011
Hit a field near the Des Moines River for a bit on Saturday and had some luck. The first one was unfortunately broke. It reminded me somewhat of a Turkeytail (thoughts???). The second one is a killer (in my book). Not sure what the material is or point type (most of the points from this field have been Late Archaic-Woodland). I was praying it was all there. I pulled it out and layed it on the ground and just stared at it for about 15 seconds until my dad and I started hootin' and hollerin' (never found a point that big). It is just at 3 inches. Has some pockmarks on one side. Appreciate any thoughts on material or type. I also found some interesting flakes. I have found some amazing color flakes in this field but no points made from the really nice chert. I am wondering if anyone can ID the material of these two flakes. I know it may be hard/impossible with the crappy pics but I would appreciate any input. Thanks for looking.

DSC00688.jpg
DSC00698.jpg
DSC00690.jpg
DSC00691.jpg
DSC00696.jpg
DSC00697.jpg
DSC00699.jpg
DSC00700.jpg

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
The flakes in your hand are obsidian (volcanic glass) and the closest place to Iowa it came from is Wyoming, I believe. Matt G can probably identify the material in the pieces you found.

Awesome finds!!!!!!!

OP
OP
centraliowa21

centraliowa21

Mar 23, 2011
Thanks Sprig! I was wondering if that was what those maybe were. I just haven't seen obsidian flakes in person before. I thought I had read something about obsidian being found during excavations in campsites in the vicinity. I have found a couple baggies full of flakes and those are the only two I have found of that material. I'll be keeping an eye out for that obsidian point!

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011
Righteous point! Not sure about the material, dolostone maybe...? Probably way off. That is encouraging to see obsidian flakes, that would be awesome to find an obsidian point! I better go look... :laughing7:

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Nice point 21. Maybe the pockmarks resulted from the fire that cooked whatever that knife butchered back then? :D. Very few obsidian pieces around here but those flakes sure are encouraging!

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Oh`yea CT21 Sweetness I would value those flakes high in my collection good eye nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread