OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Libralabsoldier said:
I find this sort of stuff, not as much in Richardson/Plano, but in the area. I have told MANY parents not to let their kids play barefooted in the parks. Also, having a bag full of said junk is a great way to get groundskeepers and "concerned parents" to see you in a completely different light.

I have also found discarded underwear, clothing, and assorted stuff.

That is very true. I ALWAYS keep the "junk" I find in the parks in a bag on my side to show folks what all I am pulling up from the chips when they seems to be a bit cranky about my being there. Sure does make then change their attitude when I show them the nails and such that their kids could have been impaling themselves on later.

As for needing to learn to run, nah, I go out when the reprobates aren't around, like in the rain or early in the morning.

I hunted the parks again and found nothing to speak of. Looks like they clean up after themselves when they drop something of value!

Grip

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
DrGrip: Know what you mean, when I carried mail across the tracks for eight
years a day didn't go by that I didn't see watches, earrings, bracelets laying on
top of the ground in the park I walked through on my route. Thought to meself,
musta been quite a party.
I wore one of those watches three years, best one I ever had.
Ha Ha life's a blast.

lastleg

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
This topic lends itself to a kindred subject.
I have performed construction projects in Watts, The Bronx, East St. Louis , Chicago and the D.C. area. People are the same everywhere you go. For the most part, everyone is out to make an honest living despite the environment. Some places have higher populations of bottom feeders - here is how I see it and handle it-

Varmint Control

Understanding the Animal

99% of vagrants are folks who choose their lifestyle. They don’t have the self discipline to hold a steady job, pay rent and cook their own meals. They have learned it’s easier to sponge off our generous society and stay high and drunk most of the time. They are similar to their brethren with whom they share the same fleas, lice and parasites with one exception: rodents regularly groom themselves.
They travel the path of least resistance even when it comes to soliciting for money for cigarettes, drugs, alcohol and fast food. They ask for money and expect to get lucky more than not. Easily intimidated patrons and sympathetic individuals readily cave in to their request and contribute to their endless, pathetic cycle. Sometimes they end up in the same park you have your sights on.

Don’t be Intimidated

When you take time and spend the gas money to drive to a public park and find it is populated by one or more undesirable, don’t turn around and leave. You have a right to be at there and so do they. Ignore them and do what you came for. You probably won’t be bothered.
There is a slight chance you may be confronted.
Think about what kind of nerve it takes to work up the courage to knock on someone’s door and ask permission to metal detect on their property. You probably expect to be told no. You would probably not be insulted if rejected.
On the other hand, a positive response would embolden you to try it again.
Apply the same logic to them. They are asking for money – would you expect someone to give you money, let alone permission to detect in their yard? Heck, no!
If they approach you, be prepared to ignore them as a first response. Pretend you don’t hear them if you have headphones.
If they persist, take your headphones off while stepping toward them, eyes wide open, staring them straight in the eyes and yell “WHAT?”
That usually sends them walking away, shaking their head.
Still there?
Take out your cell phone and while you fake dial, ask them “Do you know who I am, who I work for and why I am here?”
Not gone yet?
Make sure they hear you loud and clear as you speak into your phone: “Sarge, please!”
Go on to describe the location and the description of the idiot loud and in detail.
They will leave, usually running and tripping.

Don’t be Stupid

Please let me be clear that these are bums I’m talking about. Gangbangers are a different species. You should still be able to use your detector in their presence without any fear of confrontation but keep your eyes open. If they have their pet pit bulls running free off the leash, get in your vehicle and call the cops. If they start fighting, do the same. Make the cops do their job so you can pursue happiness in a free nation.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Right on, my brother. I have been threatened with death and took it calmly.
Guy was drunk and trying to get an old, old man's SS check. I sat down on
ol' Butterbean's porch between them and made sure the drunk understood
he wasn't getting that check.
Some people saw me detecting and brought their old silver coins wanting
a buyer. I was never molested but I only hunted in daylight.
I met some really nice folks who became my friends. The others I ignored.

lastleg

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Txtim I like the way you think. Well put.

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
I learned a long time ago that a confident person that stands up to another (unarmed) person typically can get the upper hand easily enough.

Best to not put yourself in those situations though... Go early before most of them drag their lazy butt outa bed... ;D

Grip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread