Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Would not the treasure on such a downed ship be the rightful property of the Jewish people it was stolen from?

Yes but also the treasure found on sunken Spanish galleons belongs to the native people of Colombia and Peru. Do you see any of it going back to them? You're daydreaming.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I quess you all heard of the 2 U boats found last week off UK. I didnt see it in this thread, but 2 were found, in diveable depths. I suppose you could do a search. It was last week or maybe the week before.

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Doc,

I wonder where have you been that you have not replied me from our last conversation. We have notfinished our private topic about he German war subs, I think. I even mailed you Merry Christmas without any answer from you. Now I can see that you came back to Forum.

Thanks a lot for your detailed info about "Electro U-Boot". I read somewhere in German documents that from 118 built electro submarine, called also "Walter submarines" by his inventor, more than 25 were commissioned and ready to sail though not for war missions in the last months of 1944 and beginning of 1945. For what missions then? The crew were not 100% prepared this is the true, after just couple of weeks of basic training in Baltic Sea, but apparently German High Command needed these crews and subs for something. Do you have any info, Doc? Come on, my friend, you have info about everything.....

Regards
Lobo

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
diving doc said:
FYI;
Type XXI U-boats, also known as "Elektroboote", were the first submarines designed to operate entirely submerged, rather than as surface ships that could submerge as a temporary means to escape detection or launch an attack. They were no less than revolutionary when introduced and, if produced earlier and in sufficient quantity, could have seriously influenced the outcome of the Battle of the Atlantic.

The key improvement to the Type XXI was greatly increased battery capacity, roughly three times that of the common Type VIIC.

Actually, the original design of this vessel intended to use hydrogen peroxide as its fuel source. There was a fair amount of experimentation going on, but they could not get a viable powerplant in time so batteries were the backup plan. But the end result was still a quantum leap ahead of other conventional boats.

diving doc said:
The design directly influenced USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear submarine, and USS Albacore, the first submarine with a teardrop hull.

The eventual GUPPY class submarines were basically XXI boats, FWIW. I have a pretty extensive history of the 2513 in my book, including her career in the USN.

diving doc said:
You must have talked with Joe Vogel. He's the only team member I know of still on St. Thomas except P'ting and no one but a Frenchy can understand him, much less get him to talk.

Not familiar with Mr. Vogel.

Cheers,
Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
german subs were known to be taking supplies to japan when germany fell * --mercury was on one famous one sunk by a british sub --jet plane parts on another * -- the germans and japanese assisted one another during the war --joint efffort projects could have occured --much the way the us and british worked together at times --one supplying the equiptment and the other the "manpower"

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ECS-For the record it was the U-853. It is sunk between Block Island and Montauk point near the opening of Long Island sound. I have now read this thread. I truly believe the U-853 was one of the "treasure submarines" listed on here. The treasure was off-loaded before it was sunk. It was stashed in 88-millimeter German brass shells. I believe I know the location of some of these shells. I have an account of how they got there. They were stuffed with diamonds, gold, currency and more. There were at least 12-14 of them. Under the right circumstances I will try to recover them. It has to be done legally as that is the only way I would be interested. They are in New York and New Jersey.

As far as the Civil war sub that Clive Cussler supposedly found I have now met the person that actually found it first. We are now good friends and talk daily. It is amazing what can happen when you share your own stories.

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
As far as the Civil war sub that Clive Cussler supposedly found I have now met the person that actually found it first. We are now good friends and talk daily. It is amazing what can happen when you share your own stories.

BDD, I haven't read back through the thread, but I assume you're talking about the Hunley and Lee Spence. I've read some of his stuff, he'd be an interesting guy to chat with.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am talking about the Hunley but not Lee Spence. I am not going to put the name of the person that found it a year before Cussler.

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
I am talking about the Hunley but not Lee Spence. I am not going to put the name of the person that found it a year before Cussler.

I don't know who you're talking about that claims he found the Hunley "a year before Cussler", but Spence found it about 25 years before Cussler. He charted the location, and notified state and government agencies of the location.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't know enough about the Hunley and I should not have said anything. I will assume you know what your talking about. I will inform my friend of what you posted on here. My story involves the U-853 and on that subject I do know what I am talking about. Thanks

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ECS-Did you know that arcane means secret? How many of my Ovid tales on here are secret? I think you meant to use the word inane. Pendulums aren't magic. For the record my referering to the Hunley has NOTHING to do with Ovid or dowsing. I know someone who was diving and found the Hunley. I will ask them what year it was. For the record this thread is about German treasure submarines.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We need to have BDD tell us about the diamonds in 88 shells of a U-boat he knows the location of to make this thread current.

What is your problem? Why do my stories of Ovid bother you so much? You posted on this thread just to get me on here. Why?

Last edited:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Since this thread is alive again, let me chime in with another U-Boat of interest.

The U-180. She was a type IXD1 submarine which initially carried 24 torpedoes, fired from 6 tubes and a 105mm deck gun. Now here is where things get interesting.
In 1943, her torpedo tubes were removed and she was converted to carry freight 252 tons of freight along with the U-195.
On August 20th, 1944 she departed Bordeaux, France on what was officially listed as a war patrol. However, without having torpedo tubes installed, it would have been a very poor patrol. She was also listed as being enroute to Japan.
On August 23, 1944, she vanished in the Bay of Biscay. Never to be seen again.

We know that the U-180 had been commonly used in clandestine operations. On April 27, 1943 she made a rendevous with Japanese sub I-29 to transfer two officials from the Indian navy to Japan. She also carried 2 tons of gold back to Germany from the Japanese as payment for war technology.

If I were to assume that any submarine were carrying items of interest, the U-180 would be it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread