Scuttled Nazi treasure submarine

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A childhood friend of mine's dad found the treasure from the U-853. He re-hid it in numerous places. He showed my friend where a large portion of it is buried. This was in the 60's. My friend saw the diamonds first-hand. His dad crashed his private plane and died. I am convinced the diamonds are still where he hid them. They were stashed in 88mm shells. It is a long story. I think the diamonds are cursed. Some of them are near the lighthouse at Montauk Point Long Island.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
A childhood friend of mine's dad found the treasure from the U-853. He re-hid it in numerous places. He showed my friend where a large portion of it is buried. This was in the 60's. My friend saw the diamonds first-hand. His dad crashed his private plane and died. I am convinced the diamonds are still where he hid them. They were stashed in 88mm shells. It is a long story. I think the diamonds are cursed. Some of them are near the lighthouse at Montauk Point Long Island.

Bigdog, with all due respect. Why would someone in the 60's, when there was no problem with salvage laws. Re-hide diamonds?? It doesn't make sense. I wish you all the luck in your search, but sometimes some stories are hard to believe.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Germans originally buried them by the parking lot near the lighthouse. My friends dad found them and I think he did not want to carry all of them in his car all the way back to New Jersey. He re-hid some of them in a different spot at Mountauk Point as he did not want to carry all of his eggs in one basket. He would take my friend every year and show him where he hid them. Do you know how big a German 88mm shell is? I don't expect you all to believe this and it does not really matter whether you do or not.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would live to hear from some of our European posters if there are a ton of stories floating around Europe of hidden nazi treasure caches and if and are ever found. The Nazis looted all of Europe etc and some high profile treasure is still missing like the amber room. Not all of it could have made it to South America or the Swiss banks? Any believable stories out there?? Or real recent finds??

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
The Germans originally buried them by the parking lot near the lighthouse.

What Germans - the entire crew was lost in the sinking of the u-boat.
Diamonds in an 88mm round? Too funny. Sounds like the new version of the u-boats filled with mercury supposedly drifting around the Gulf of Mexico...

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Diamonds in an 88mm round? Too funny. Sounds like the new version of the u-boats filled with mercury supposedly drifting around the Gulf of Mexico...

The entire crew was lost? What about the four guys that came ashore in a rubber raft. Thier mission was to bury the 88mm shells by the parking lot. Were you there? Where did you get your facts? In a book? The book writers can only write what they are told. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I got the inside scoop on this. Dig a little deeper and you will find rumors of the treasure and the 88mm shells. The rumors are true.

The sub could not leave the area until the guys came back from their mission. While waiting for them the sub was destroyed. It now rests on the bottom in 125 feet of water. Many people have dived on it in search of the treasure. It is not on board. I know where some of it is. Too funny? Get over yourself.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

barney, I think you solved the "" STORY ". None of it makes sense. Unless of course someone wants to write another "E" book.

My advice would be: If someone really knew where an 88mm shell full of diamonds was buried? They should be driving to that spot to dig it up and not posting about it, until they dug it up and even then, I wouldn't post about it. But hey, that's me.

Last edited:

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
The entire crew was lost? What about the four guys that came ashore in a rubber raft. Thier mission was to bury the 88mm shells by the parking lot. Were you there? Where did you get your facts? In a book? The book writers can only write what they are told. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I got the inside scoop on this. Dig a little deeper and you will find rumors of the treasure and the 88mm shells. The rumors are true.

The sub could not leave the area until the guys came back from their mission. While waiting for them the sub was destroyed. It now rests on the bottom in 125 feet of water. Many people have dived on it in search of the treasure. It is not on board. I know where some of it is. Too funny? Get over yourself.

I am over myself. I am constantly amused by these stories though. Unfortunately, it just seems none of them are based on reality. Diamonds being carried on a U-boat dispatched on a war patrol to the east coast of the US? That makes absolutely no sense.
A diver recovered the intact KTB from the wreck of the U-853. But of course there was no mention of any of the supposed diamond burying mission you speak of -- I guess because it was soooo secret, right?
Inside scoop? OK, whatever. If you know where some of it is, please, go recover it and then post some pics if you want any credibility. I will bow down in awe of you at that time.

Cheers,
Mike

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Barney-You seem convinced I don't know what I am talking about and my story can't be true. How do you know that it isn't true? Are you some sort of expert on the U-853? Have you researched all stories relating to it? As a matter of fact it was on a secret mission. Did you know that there were survivors that made it back to Germany and told their story to others? Did you know that the U-853 was rumored to be Hitler's favorite/personal/private sub? Well I guess I am not telling you anything you don't already know as you seem to think of yourself as a self-proclaimed know-it-all.

As far as my credibility on T-Net goes, I am not that concerned about the naysayers such as yourself and the very old man. I do not feel compelled to prove anything to you all. The diamonds from the submarine, some of which are buried in a state park in New York, are well down on my list of treasures to attempt to recover. I am saving that story for the TV show or Disney movie. I am sure these statements will make you laugh.

It is amazing how many T-Net members there are that are ready and willing to tell anyone coming along with a story they have not heard that they are lying/making it up/dumb/ignorant/delusional/seeking attention/selling a book/high/drunk or dreaming. Pick one. Fortunately these sad, lonely, negative types are living in their own little world and can cause no harm to anyone. Merry Christmas. I hope Santa Claus brings you some treasure. Barney and old man-go "like" yourselves.

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Barney-You seem convinced I don't know what I am talking about and my story can't be true. How do you know that it isn't true? Are you some sort of expert on the U-853? Have you researched all stories relating to it? As a matter of fact it was on a secret mission. Did you know that there were survivors that made it back to Germany and told their story to others? Did you know that the U-853 was rumored to be Hitler's favorite/personal/private sub? Well I guess I am not telling you anything you don't already know as you seem to think of yourself as a self-proclaimed know-it-all.

As far as my credibility on T-Net goes, I am not that concerned about the naysayers such as yourself and the very old man. I do not feel compelled to prove anything to you all. The diamonds from the submarine, some of which are buried in a state park in New York, are well down on my list of treasures to attempt to recover. I am saving that story for the TV show or Disney movie. I am sure these statements will make you laugh.

It is amazing how many T-Net members there are that are ready and willing to tell anyone coming along with a story they have not heard that they are lying/making it up/dumb/ignorant/delusional/seeking attention/selling a book/high/drunk or dreaming. Pick one. Fortunately these sad, lonely, negative types are living in their own little world and can cause no harm to anyone. Merry Christmas. I hope Santa Claus brings you some treasure. Barney and old man-go "like" yourselves.

Yes, this sounds like it would make a very good movie. Fiction usually makes for entertaining movies.
All you are offering is rumors. Please provide some form of evidence other than rumors and perhaps, just perhaps, you may convince me this story has some credibility. In the absence of this I am compelled to believe available historical documentation, logic, and common sense.
Merry Christmas.
Cheers,
Mike

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if this matters to the story but I believe the 853 had a 105mm deck gun and not an 88. Military history memory is a little rusty, but I think that's the gun for that class of uboat. Doesn't mean they they couldn't have been carrying them for another reason.

As an easily transportable liquid form of wealth, diamonds could be used by spies to fund espionage? Or taken out of the country to fund new lives in south america. Many were likely looted or taken from rings from concentration camp victims? Not sure of any advantage to placing them 88 shells. Millions in diamonds could be hidden in a significantly smaller and less obvious form.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

Bigdog, No one is calling you a liar. I think what is being said is this: If you know where treasure is, GO and Dig it up. Don't talk about it. The last time you talked about something under a Bridge. What Happened. Most people learn by their mistakes.

No one is saying that you are liar. I know many fishermen that tell fish tales and I find them humorous, but I don't call them liars. Learn the difference. All I'm saying is that if you want creditability, then go dig it up and then talk about it. We all have wishes and dreams. Nothing wrong with that.
I really do wish you luck. All I'm saying is dig it up and we will congratulate you. I know many treasure hunters that are working on projects, but they are smart enough to keep it secret.

Go Dig it up and then have a Big Ego. Then you will have earned it. I'm working a a Project, but you won't find me telling everyone on here what it is or where it is. And yes it's being Legally done and I still keep quiet about it.

Don't get your dander raised every time someones says something you don't like. It's Christmas Enjoy it. I'll even buy you a beer if I ever meet you. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I am constantly amused by these stories though. Unfortunately, it just seems none of them are based on reality. Diamonds being carried on a U-boat dispatched on a war patrol to the east coast of the US? That makes absolutely no sense.
A diver recovered the intact KTB from the wreck of the U-853. But of course there was no mention of any of the supposed diamond burying mission you speak of -- I guess because it was soooo secret, right?
Inside scoop? OK, whatever.
For those interested in the true events of U-853:
Kill and Be Killed? The U-853 Mystery | U.S. Naval Institute
That contains the US NAVAL INSTITUTE account of this action. Take note that between the time Kapitanleutant Helmut Fromsdorf torpedoed the SS Black Point and when the U-853 was sunk-THERE WAS NO TIME FOR A 4 MAN RUBBER RAFT EXCURSION TO BURY DIAMONDS!The only mystery surrounding the U-853 was why,after recieving orders from Admiral Doenitz to cease hostilities,that Fromsdorf torpedoed the SS Black Point.Either Fromsdorf did not recieve that order or ignored it.
For photos of the sunken U-853 and a mention of the rumors of it being Hitler's private escape sub and there being gold & silver treasure ( diamonds in 88 shells are not mentioned)are also addressed here.
WWW.advanceddivermagazine.com/article/U853/u853.html

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Implying that I am not telling the truth is implying that I am lying. There are many aspects of this story that I will not share at this time. As far as the deck gun it is irrelevant as the diamonds, gold and currency were stuffed into the 88mm shells and sealed with wax before loading them onto the sub. The sinking of the Blackpoint was probably a diversion to keep anyone away from the guys in the rubber raft. I can't know or tell exactly how it all happened. I was not there and neither were any of you. You all are relying on what you can read about this event.

I became aware of this story because my friend's dad found the 88mm shells. I think he was at the Mountauk Point State Park the night the guys came ashore. He repeatedly told my friend the story of the sub and would fly him from New Jersey to show him where he had reburied some of the 88mm shells. My friend was 6 years old the first trip and 8 years old on the last trip. I have been to Montauk Point twice, once with my friend and once with my wife. It is a long way from SW Florida. The diamonds are in a spot that makes it very hard to get to without permission. There are so many issues regarding these diamonds that I don't know how much I want to deal with it all.

As I have stated on other threads, I am not that concerned with how my credibility is percieved by all who read my posts. Non-belief in what I have to say will get you nowhere whereas others have decided to meet me and will be a part of future treasure endeavors. I have spent most of my treasure time trying to find new sites and stories rather than concentrating on digging. I have dug plenty of empty holes. I will consider them practice and a learning experience. I did record my past ventures as an e-book that I am not currently promoting. I would consider it a how-not-to dig for treasure manual.

ECS-the second link would not download. There are plenty of stories about the U-853. If you dig deep enough you will possibly find info that gives my story more credibility. You are more than welcome to do this please. As far as I am concerned, I don't care what you all believe at this time.

old man-You do things your way and I will do mine my way. If you think I tell everything on here you are mistaken. I use some of my stories as bait to attract other treasure hunters so as to gain more knowledge as far as equipment and techniques. So far it has worked better than I had hoped when I joined T-net.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Implying that I am not telling the truth is implying that I am lying. There are many aspects of this story that I will not share at this time. As far as the deck gun it is irrelevant as the diamonds, gold and currency were stuffed into the 88mm shells and sealed with wax before loading them onto the sub. The sinking of the Blackpoint was probably a diversion to keep anyone away from the guys in the rubber raft. I can't know or tell exactly how it all happened. I was not there and neither were any of you. You all are relying on what you can read about this event.

I became aware of this story because my friend's dad found the 88mm shells. I think he was at the Mountauk Point State Park the night the guys came ashore. He repeatedly told my friend the story of the sub and would fly him from New Jersey to show him where he had reburied some of the 88mm shells. My friend was 6 years old the first trip and 8 years old on the last trip. I have been to Montauk Point twice, once with my friend and once with my wife. It is a long way from SW Florida. The diamonds are in a spot that makes it very hard to get to without permission. There are so many issues regarding these diamonds that I don't know how much I want to deal with it all.

As I have stated on other threads, I am not that concerned with how my credibility is percieved by all who read my posts. Non-belief in what I have to say will get you nowhere whereas others have decided to meet me and will be a part of future treasure endeavors. I have spent most of my treasure time trying to find new sites and stories rather than concentrating on digging. I have dug plenty of empty holes. I will consider them practice and a learning experience. I did record my past ventures as an e-book that I am not currently promoting. I would consider it a how-not-to dig for treasure manual.

ECS-the second link would not download. There are plenty of stories about the U-853. If you dig deep enough you will possibly find info that gives my story more credibility. You are more than welcome to do this please. As far as I am concerned, I don't care what you all believe at this time.

old man-You do things your way and I will do mine my way. If you think I tell everything on here you are mistaken. I use some of my stories as bait to attract other treasure hunters so as to gain more knowledge as far as equipment and techniques. So far it has worked better than I had hoped when I joined T-net.
Bigdog, Good for you. I don't use bait for people. Hope you still have a Merry Christmas. If everything always works for you, you should be very wealthy by now. Congratulations. Yes, I'll do things my way. It may not always be the right way, but at least I don't use Bait. When I used to Hunt, Bait was considered unsportsmen like.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
old man-Maybe using the word bait was a poor choice of words. I also never said everything always works for me. Let's just say that I shared some of my stories on here in the hopes that I might meet new people with like minded goals. I have had over a dozen T-Net members come to my house and I have enjoyed meeting ALL of them. I hope to get a chance to find some of the treasures out there waiting to be found and if I do I will share it with my new friends. Thanks for the offer to buy me a beer but I don't drink alcohol.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here is a link I found without even trying hard. http://www.desausa.org/de_photo_library/battle_of_point_judith.htm Here is another. http://www.aquaexplorers.com/u-853_shipwreck.htm. My friends dad took him to show him where he hid the shells in 1965-66-67. My friend saw some of the diamonds. I met the son in 1968 when he was 8 and I was 12. His father crashed his plane and died in 1967. My friend never shared the story with me as kids and kind of forgot about it. In 1987 he saw a picture of himself at Montauk and the story came back to him. He told me about it and we went to the lighthouse. We could not get to the spot where his father showed him he had hidden some of the 88mm shells. If you think I am making this story up you are wrong. I did not read anything about the sub until years later. This was my introduction into treasure hunting. These books and other stories talk of the rumor that there were 88mm shells put on board the sub. Some of these rumors came from the people involved in putting them on the sub. If you all want to refuse to believe that this story may be true, that is your problem.

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool article.

I question the statement that sub captains were most fanatical. Actually the German navy in general was much much less "nazified" than the german army and Air Force.

Also not sure why they kept spelling his name wrong - it's Karl donitz - not doenitz. Also he never ever took the title fuhrer. Sorry just a stickler for WWII history.

Why this mercury rumor - it's just not that valuable of a commodity with some but not many uses?? Your bugging out at the end of the war your not taking tons of mercury IMO!!

I do have to believe that there is nazi treasure caches out there somewhere - they systematically looted all of Europe!! Not all of it could have safely made it to South America and Swiss banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread