Season "3" of Curse of Oak Island

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not aware of any undeniable evidence to support this story. Oh, there's been lots of work done chasing embellished hearsay, yes. Lots of wild theories have grown and lots of books have been written, yes. And there've been lots of flooded shafts - but I wonder if all deep shafts dug on tiny islands wouldn't also flood in like manner? "Booby trapped" ... or just a high water table directly connected to the sea by natural piping through fractured rock and saturated soils?

Last edited:

iMatt25

Greenie
Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story goes the boys started digging in 1795. From what I understand, the first documented telling of the dig shows up in 1861. That’s a long time for no letters, diaries, or sketches to appear. The story of the lights, finding a pulley above the pit, the layers of logs, the carved stone, and the claimed start of flooding below 100 feet are all based on articles that came out long after those alleged events transpired. It’s a great tale, but it could be 90% baloney with a dash of swindle.

And yet…something has kept treasure hunters there all this time. It’s been a 200-year horror show of how not to preserve evidence or document findings, but have real things been found over the years to keep the fires stoked? If much of the history of the early digging is false, why was a dig started there in the first place? Why go down to 100 feet if there was nothing but dirt the whole way down? It’s hard to tell what is the baby and what is the bath water anymore.

Personally, I think the parts about the pulley and the carved stone are complete fiction. How the boys came to the spot doesn’t matter to me as much as this question: were there really logs every 10 feet down? If yes, the boys returning as men to dig again shows faith based on evidence. If no, then maybe the boys returned as men to con treasure investors.

Two things on this TV show give me hopeful pause: the core samples, and the scans of the bottom of Borehole 10-X. I’m curious if either of the two “wall” gaps shown in the 10-X sonar scan face the direction of the nearby Money Pit.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story goes the boys started digging in 1795. From what I understand, the first documented telling of the dig shows up in 1861. That’s a long time for no letters, diaries, or sketches to appear. The story of the lights, finding a pulley above the pit, the layers of logs, the carved stone, and the claimed start of flooding below 100 feet are all based on articles that came out long after those alleged events transpired. It’s a great tale, but it could be 90% baloney with a dash of swindle.

And yet…something has kept treasure hunters there all this time. It’s been a 200-year horror show of how not to preserve evidence or document findings, but have real things been found over the years to keep the fires stoked? If much of the history of the early digging is false, why was a dig started there in the first place? Why go down to 100 feet if there was nothing but dirt the whole way down? It’s hard to tell what is the baby and what is the bath water anymore.

Personally, I think the parts about the pulley and the carved stone are complete fiction. How the boys came to the spot doesn’t matter to me as much as this question: were there really logs every 10 feet down? If yes, the boys returning as men to dig again shows faith based on evidence. If no, then maybe the boys returned as men to con treasure investors.

Two things on this TV show give me hopeful pause: the core samples, and the scans of the bottom of Borehole 10-X. I’m curious if either of the two “wall” gaps shown in the 10-X sonar scan face the direction of the nearby Money Pit.

yes it is obvious to me there could be something at the Bottom of 10X

However it could be accidental & even Planted goods.
Until they are brought up and inspected by experts,
all we know is it appears there is something at the bottom.

but now they are going to ignore 10X for the rest of the Season
& play with the possible original money pit &
ride around in their new toys.

is it possible they already did dive into 10X & Have film proving it was a waste of Time ?
are the holding off showing it for this Reason ?

Last edited:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what I understand, the entire island used to be a major mining site. Can't recall what mineral it was that was sought after there but I would think that after a full blown mining operation, deep holes and shafts were probably left, and probably filled in with junk like lumber, trees or some other scrap waste. Reminds me of the sinkholes all over my back yard. When the lot was cleared and house was built, contractors buried all the tree stumps. 20 years later they are all rotted now and creating major sinkholes.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys should visit this site, lots of good information.

The Oak Island Legend

Excellent link, rocker. Quoting that website:
" ... The results were startling; no documents earlier than 1849 could be found. A review of the historical context and frequency of treasure tales in New England showed a marked propensity toward belief in the presence of buried gold in every locale. This, in conjunction with certain elements found in the Money Pit tale itself, indicate the story known to us today most likely started not in 1795 or even 1804, but in the 1840s ..." (Emphasis mine)

Have you guys read The Gold Bug, a short story written by Edgar Alan Poe, published in 1843? If not, you ought to - it's a great treasure hunting tale, written by not only a very talented author, but also the greatest cryptographer of his time. I'm not claiming that someone used Poe's work as an incentive to fabricate a buried treasure tale on a small offshore North American island ... but ... it wouldn't shock me either. But then, coincidences are red flags to me.

iMatt25

Greenie
Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys should visit this site, lots of good information.

The Oak Island Legend

Yeah, that site is excellent. It also has a report from a guy hired in 1867 to get a second opinion on the dig/flooding issue. The end of his report is kindly worded, but brutal to the narrative:

"It may appear strange that the conclusion I have arrived at [no drill tests revealed anything man-made] (if correct) were not come to long ago, persons might naturally think that the vast sums of money expended on the island, would never have been spent, had there not been sufficient proof to convince even the most sceptical that the treasure lay buried there. Tradition, hearsay evidence, and lastly the indomitable pluck and energy of those concerned have done more towards influencing the outflow of capital by succeeding companies than any actual evidence.

The tremendous amount of work which has been accomplished, more especially under W Hill’s direction has, so far as I am able to judge, been carried on under the firm conviction that the treasure was there, the object was to get at it, and I believe that had it been there W Hill’s works would have succeeded in reaching it. The whole difficulty has arisen from the fact that it has been taken for granted, that the disturbed condition of the ground, the watercourse etc, were only to be attributed to artificial means whereas had one hundredth part of the capital been devoted towards testing the possibility of its being the work of nature, I think the Oak Island problem would have been solved years ago."

iMatt25

Greenie
Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the deal with the strange lights the 3 boy's supposedly saw?

My guess: the lights never happened. The mystery lights sound like a detail added to the story to spice it up. Could be three boys come across a round depression on an island known for being on the path of ships, and decide to treat it like a spot for buried treasure rather than a natural sinkhole. The lights and the wood layers may have been added to the story later for drama (to excellent effect). The weird thing, though, is (according to the story) they stopped after 30 feet and returned years later to dig down to 100 feet. If I'm pulling up just 30 feet of dirt I don't come back with my buds to dig up another 70 feet of dirt for kicks and giggles. Are the lights made-up, but the part with the wood layers was accurate? Is all of the story accurate?

What if: Men on island at night scouting treasure location with lights. Boys see lights. Boys go to spot and find depression. Boys dig down to 30 feet, finding layers of wood. They give up. Men with lights come back. Dig last 40-50 feet. Take treasure. Fill hole back so it's just 30 feet deep. Boys return years later, unknowingly digging for a treasure that has been vultured in their absence. The Money Pit is born.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Only "Seeing" is "Believing"?

Seeing -Quote-Morgan.jpg

I am coming to the opinion that some on this thread do not even believe that the island of Oak Island "Really Exists".

In that the majority of them have never seen it, so it cannot be so!...and on that they would be correct!

It is only a "False Flag" created by the government of "Canada" to "Extend" their "International Borders".

iMatt25

Greenie
Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak Island feels like doing a puzzle without the box. The pieces on the table hint at a really trippy final picture, but it's possible some of the pieces belong to another puzzle entirely. Not going to throw away the suspect pieces, but not gonna glue them down permanently either. Hoping a big missing piece fell between the couch cushions of 10-X.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the full story, but, as stated before, the pirates were very smart, So, to stop the many other pirates from digging up the treasure, they had dug tunnels with wood that would flood the money pit. So if others dug up the pit, they would find water. That is what happening to other treasure hunters including the brothers. I cannot understand why they spend a lot of money for new machines, and not used machines. I believed the story about the boys finding chains above the money pit. While the brothers may locate treasures, I am sure that they will not recovered any treasures. I am wondering if History Channel is supporting their effort, and paying for machines, and the brothers personal expenses. Most of us wish that there would be only one show, which would be recovering any treasures, to put us out of our pains, not being funny as sometimes, I like to do, to earn extra money, they brothers should sell the Christmas trees. Perfect time for them. I am waiting for Rebel Gold show to come back. In the mean time, I will be watching the show, or if I get bore, I can watch Tippy, my cat taking a nap. Good luck and good hunting to the brothers and their friends.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They said on the show last night that they had a budget of up to 2 million dollars. I imagine they have a plan for those heavy machines after they finish on oak island. So I gather much of that money would be recovered if they did actually buy them.

I am happy to see them start some digging. It seems a positive development that they seem to have found that other shaft that will let them pinpoint the location of the actual money pit. I really want to see what is at the bottom of this whole mystery.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy the thrill of the hunt just like the next guy. But it would be nice to see something truly amazing come out of the ground besides old scrap lumber. The yellow vests unfortunatly is an OSHA law guess they want well marked targets!

My son & I went to a heavy equip dealership to RENT a piece of equip; we had to put on yellow best there too. I see no problem there.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Begin to feel that this show is a spin-off of the movie "National Treasures" series with Nick Cage, with all the hype etc. Did it at all ever happen? Probably not, but they were good DREAM shows to watch nonetheless.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the full story, but, as stated before, the pirates were very smart, So, to stop the many other pirates from digging up the treasure, they had dug tunnels with wood that would flood the money pit. So if others dug up the pit, they would find water.

That's another throbbing red flag. It's assumed that the loot was first buried, then protected with booby traps that would flood the vault with an unstoppable flow of sea water that would stymie anyone trying to recover the treasure. Fine. But if so, how did the guys who buried the treasure in the first place figure that they would be able to recover it themselves, once the "floodgates" were activated and the vault was unreachable? They "were very smart", you say?

Here's another one. The "carved stone" at 90 feet down. According to lore, it basically says, "Keep digging. Money 40 feet below." Really? Why the message? Is someone who's dug 90 feet going to quit? And why bury money 130 feet deep? Wouldn't 10 or 20 do? Oh, and what if it's the Ark of the Covenant down there? Why would the Knights Templar risk innundating, and likely destroying, such an important artifact in a hundred feet of sea water and sludge? None of this makes sense.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing that really makes sense is the true meaning of the phrase
"Money Pit"

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dittos Jeff, another episode and nothing found. One might expect them to have researched the depth of the water table

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread