Season 4

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey History is broadcasting all the season 4 today in Canada. Actually episode 2 (the New Ross visit) all until the finale at 10 pm.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1419454

From the 1930's I believe.

Cool, thanks! So there were rails and carts in use on the island. That would totally prove that the spike was and old Spanish Decking Spike! :occasion14:

Hey History is broadcasting all the season 4 today in Canada. Actually episode 2 (the New Ross visit) all until the finale at 10 pm.

Oh my, that sounds like hours and hours of torture! :BangHead: LOL
You sure you want to do that to yourself?

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, thanks! So there were rails and carts in use on the island. That would totally prove that the spike was and old Spanish Decking Spike! :occasion14:

Oh my, that sounds like hours and hours of torture! :BangHead: LOL
You sure you want to do that to yourself?

Amazing to look again some episodes :happy1: Some details revealed here give a new look.

Last edited:

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Old photo before the causeway

IMG_0079.PNG

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
In USA you next episode should be a studio talk show ? This is scheduled here next sunday.

Last edited:

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are you sure about this? Do you have a reference to support this? I can find no reference to support that OI was mined for pyrite.
They only went on about it for the first 2 seasons. Straight from the show

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing to look again some episodes :happy1: Some details revealed here give a new look.

Are they all the extended ones with the pop up screens with added info? Those are a little better to watch than the regular shows.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there were rail systems being used on the island to move stuff around but, would have thought more spikes would have been found by now..

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only went on about it for the first 2 seasons. Straight from the show
I have looked extensively and nothing supports that there was mining on the island. I have found other threads in forums that claim that the mining claim on OI is not true.

Is there any evidence of mining on OI. I have never seen any offered.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have looked extensively and nothing supports that there was mining on the island. I have found other threads in forums that claim that the mining claim on OI is not true.

Is there any evidence of mining on OI. I have never seen any offered.
Cant remember the exact details it was talked about by the narrater of the show in the early seasons. Something about a guy mining it thinking it to be gold and taking it back the europe maybe 1600-1700s.
Its in the early seasons. Prob a fabrication of the show. But maybe not im not sure

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No there were railroad tracks laid there to ferry the loose soil and clay to other areas and piles that were used to control the massive amount of excavation there.....

Wheelbarrows will not work in wet mush, and throwing planks everywhere is a pain to steer through so they laid crude cross sections for bases and used faster carts on rails.....

The same ones available to miners at the time as they would roll and tip, dumping their loads quickly

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant remember the exact details it was talked about by the narrater of the show in the early seasons. Something about a guy mining it thinking it to be gold and taking it back the europe maybe 1600-1700s.
Its in the early seasons. Prob a fabrication of the show. But maybe not im not sure

One explorer from England had made a voyage there in the early 1700's to claim he found Gold.....and mined for a ridiculous long time......returning 2 Million Pounds of Pyrite to the Crown.....

2 million......? that number again....?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One explorer from England had made a voyage there in the early 1700's to claim he found Gold.....and mined for a ridiculous long time......returning 2 Million Pounds of Pyrite to the Crown.....

2 million......? that number again....?
What is your source for this?

Martin Frobisher did mine Iron Pyrite better known as "Fools Gold" but this was in Nunavut, 3000 kilometers from Oak Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Frobisher

If this claim was made by the history channel then it is either a blatant lie or they have a source of information that is not available on the web.

There is no evidence on OI that any mining (other then related to the money pit) has ever been done there.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The narrator filled us in on an explorer who did dig up a ton of Pyrite and return to England or Spain... can't remember the exacts. It was in a early S4 episode I believe. Gary was out on the beach with Rick and Dan H and Rick asked why the area next to Smiths Cove looked rusty. Dan then found some Pyrite and showed him the fools gold. Then guess who went off on a Tangent.
Whats this? Fools Gold?
Rick even put a piece in his pocket to bring back to Marty.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
I believe that the show is very selective about the information that they reveal, preferring data that indicates that there is some mystery on OI over any other option. I also believe that Prometheus makes such decisions, and not the Laginas. It's a 'reality' TV show, created by the same people that brought us such credible 'science based' programming as Ancient Aliens. I doubt any fact they put forth.

I would agree that the Lagina's probably have very little to absolutely no say in what is shown or how it is shown or in what order it is shown. That could be a possible reason why they left this seasons finally not so final. The brother's may be rethinking the whole "let's be on TV" thing because now we look like a couple of idiots.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The brother's may be rethinking the whole "let's be on TV" thing because now we look like a couple of idiots.

Best part of any episode so far was when T1 hole stopped and Marty threw a hissy fit and threw his hard hat down, stomped around a bit and then sat in the corner for a time out! :laughing7: I was waiting for him to say "I'm done... I'm taking my Oscillator and going home!!!"

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best part of any episode so far was when T1 hole stopped and Marty threw a hissy fit and threw his hard hat down, stomped around a bit and then sat in the corner for a time out! :laughing7: I was waiting for him to say "I'm done... I'm taking my Oscillator and going home!!!"

Can you blame him? Sure, it's a TV show, but the emotion factor for the last few episodes has been escalating, and appeared to be genuine. Marty's demeanor in the war room is drastically different from the first few seasons and these guys aren't actors. Don't forget they do have full time jobs and families and I am sure that the experience has taken a toll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread