Season 4

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Advocat

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely post and don't think I've posted on this Season 4 thread in any case, but here's my take on the whole thing FWIW.

In my opinion, the Lagina brothers undertook this search in an attempt to prove or dispel once and for all the rumor of treasure having been buried on Oak Island. Like any other major treasure legend, Oak Island has its fair share of theories, adherents and opponents. Unlike most other legends, Oak Island also has a specific site which is not overly large and therefore is capable of being explored pretty thoroughly -- it's not the Superstitions!

Their goal, I think, is to be as thorough as they can be, given the time-frames they have to work within, the Canadian government red-tape and restrictions, and budgetary limits. By filming all or most of their work on the Island, the public at large can see how much is actually being done.

If they find treasure -- great! The public will see and know that there is no longer any reason for anyone to search further. If they don't -- bummer in that sense, but again the public will see and realize that it's unlikely there IS anything there, because the extent of the searching done (depths dug, areas metal detected, etc.) by the Laginas, in addition to previous large-scale searches done in the past, pretty much then rules out any treasure still in place if indeed it ever was there.

Either way, their search will essentially put to bed the Oak Island treasure mystery. A potential benefit is that the Island properties may then become open to sale for residential development or to some other use that has value to the property owners and which will be better-received if "treasure hunters" are no longer showing up. Dan Blankenship is not getting any younger, nor in fact is his son ... if there is after all no treasure to be found, it may be in their best interests to sell off their property to a condo development and retire to other climes.

Along the way, the Laginas are giving respectful attention to the most popular, as well as some lesser-known, theories about what treasure might be there and how it got there. Whether or not they personally adhere to the theories, they have looked deeper into some of them so that viewers can form opinions on how likely or unlikely they may be ... and if treasure IS found, then the research into these theories may be of value to the find.

I've followed all 4 seasons, and will look forward to a Season 5. The equipment being used and how it all works is interesting to me, as well as the various finds and what they are able to learn about them.

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ good post above.

However I think if they fail to find anything, that it will not deter future treasure hunters. There will always be someone who will think they should of dug 10' deeper, or 10' to the left or right, or done something different, etc... and that person may just be Rick Lagina...

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some early uses of hex nuts, but the further back in time you go, the rarer they are going to be. What I found more odd, and I may have missed it, was seeing several pieces of metal come up with several gaping holes, and not one bolt/nut still attached. The bolts looked corroded but whole, and the hex nuts were whole, and anyone who has spent any time with rusted fasteners knows there would have been something hanging on - not loose plates and loose bolts and loose nuts. Multiple pieces of metal with fasteners in soil become a big solid object over time. They don't disassemble themselves. Even if the tearing action of the hammer claw popped them loose, the bolt would have likely sheared off, and we weren't shown anything like that.

Again, I'm not dispelling anything, but the odds of the metal plating being something already assembled looks less and less likely. It could be junk from Dunfield's pit, or if earlier, something that was never put together. I only saw it once so I may be wrong in my recollection but those points have been eating at me.

In terms of the Laginas, I think they said they have been on the island for ten years now, so much longer than the show has been filming. If they had the intention to stay another ten, but not continue the show, I probably would have taken advantage of any hype now and "ventilated" the island in key positions that could be accessed later at a greatly reduced cost. Not saying this is what they did, but there could be a methodology behind the scattered approach seen on the show.

Another point, the segments with the antiquities expert could have been heavily edited - "treasure chest" might have been her 14th possibility in real time. We weren't there so we just don't know. In any case, I hope they come back for S5.

Last edited:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely post and don't think I've posted on this Season 4 thread in any case, but here's my take on the whole thing FWIW.

In my opinion, the Lagina brothers undertook this search in an attempt to prove or dispel once and for all the rumor of treasure having been buried on Oak Island. Like any other major treasure legend, Oak Island has its fair share of theories, adherents and opponents. Unlike most other legends, Oak Island also has a specific site which is not overly large and therefore is capable of being explored pretty thoroughly -- it's not the Superstitions!

Their goal, I think, is to be as thorough as they can be, given the time-frames they have to work within, the Canadian government red-tape and restrictions, and budgetary limits. By filming all or most of their work on the Island, the public at large can see how much is actually being done.

If they find treasure -- great! The public will see and know that there is no longer any reason for anyone to search further. If they don't -- bummer in that sense, but again the public will see and realize that it's unlikely there IS anything there, because the extent of the searching done (depths dug, areas metal detected, etc.) by the Laginas, in addition to previous large-scale searches done in the past, pretty much then rules out any treasure still in place if indeed it ever was there.

Either way, their search will essentially put to bed the Oak Island treasure mystery. A potential benefit is that the Island properties may then become open to sale for residential development or to some other use that has value to the property owners and which will be better-received if "treasure hunters" are no longer showing up. Dan Blankenship is not getting any younger, nor in fact is his son ... if there is after all no treasure to be found, it may be in their best interests to sell off their property to a condo development and retire to other climes.

Along the way, the Laginas are giving respectful attention to the most popular, as well as some lesser-known, theories about what treasure might be there and how it got there. Whether or not they personally adhere to the theories, they have looked deeper into some of them so that viewers can form opinions on how likely or unlikely they may be ... and if treasure IS found, then the research into these theories may be of value to the find.

I've followed all 4 seasons, and will look forward to a Season 5. The equipment being used and how it all works is interesting to me, as well as the various finds and what they are able to learn about them.

I think my problem with the show is not whether or not there is treasure on Oak Island (I would've watched either way), but the way the evidence (or lack there of) is being presented to make it look like something is there. If it was just a real investigative effort without the supposed experts telling us that a metal brace came from a treasure chest or mentioning that a piece of bone was found in 10X but without further detail, future treasure hunters may become dissuaded from further exploiting the island (especially if the Laginas found nothing). If anything, the Laginas are building up the myth so much, that some future investors will flip the whole island upside down to find the treasure.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So any word on that bone they found in the slurry of 10x.

No word in the final digging deeper episode. I'd think that experts could identify the type of bone and species by now. I can imagine a small animal falling down one of the shafts in the past.

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No word in the final digging deeper episode. I'd think that experts could identify the type of bone and species by now. I can imagine a small animal falling down one of the shafts in the past.

Kevin Burns said in an interview that the number one question everyone asks him is about the bone and that it was nothing so they didn't bother to revisit it.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey sasquash, just don't go to Oak Island and toss those square nuts down a hole or we'll have a season 6 too! They'll have them carbon-dated at at least 1690s or should that be 1990s???

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey sasquash, just don't go to Oak Island and toss those square nuts down a hole or we'll have a season 6 too! They'll have them carbon-dated at at least 1690s or should that be 1990s???

They can always explain it away as reading the 9 upside down.

I'm still trying to understand what Craig Tester meant by the C-14 tests showing that the earliest dates for the wood taken out of 10X were between 1670 and 1790. So what did the later dates from the tests show? If it was something like 1950, are we safe to assume that the entire procedure used is erroneous at best? Oh yeah, this piece of wood could be anywhere from the 1300's to 2007. Give me a break!

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
I do not understand why they never dug deeper at the "hatch" site. It showed on the old map,...so instead of digging a few feet,..why didn't they do a major excavation there?? The only explanation I can arrive at, is that they DID do an excavation there and found nothing,..after digging far deeper than they showed on the show.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not understand why they never dug deeper at the "hatch" site. It showed on the old map,...so instead of digging a few feet,..why didn't they do a major excavation there?? The only explanation I can arrive at, is that they DID do an excavation there and found nothing,..after digging far deeper than they showed on the show.

They needed the excavation permit and the archeologist.
But something is here ...

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin Burns said in an interview that the number one question everyone asks him is about the bone and that it was nothing so they didn't bother to revisit it.

Sounding like an episode of Making a Murderer..... where they find a bone fragment in a waste of obvious planted evidence......

Turns out they were chicken bones......

The same thing applies in the Hoax Island affair, as its obvious that anyone on the island, who was there for any amount of time, would obviously hunt birds and fish and small animals for fur and food.....

At that time they were abundant supplies of them everywhere with nobody hunting them.....

And this bone makes everyone freak out when they bring it up from 10x in a sump pump......which to me is really strange as they know these chambers under where they were digging is a covered up exploration chamber.....it was filled in and that was after it breached through near the Money Pit.

They have edited these cavern shots and been elusive so nobody can identify the under sides of the excavations there, they are acting like its a mystery where they are digging every time, yet the results show the mystery wood was from previous explorations...

This proves again that after completely digging the area out over 5 times, and refilling it each time with waste and subterranean chambers left flooded, that they have hit old sites every time.....the same perforation is now being applied to every part of the Island as a commercial enterprise is concerned. They chase old digs? The WHOLE TIME??

They have no evidence that can be verified to prove there "Might Be" some treasure there, and that is the weird part.....they have some strange pull having legislators under their belt to convince them that there is something to reason......

because that one person was banned from the island and told not to return when he filed his results under the agreement he made with the govt and appealed to have the research under the site to be controlled and they want to pump and dump everything about their operation......

now making it Canada's financial responsibility......they didnt buy 1 million dollars worth of cameras, camera men, booms and mic operators, bring in CBC or NOVA hosts .....no what they did was bring in the evidence in the beginning with Petter Amundsen, then spin the tale with Hutton Pulitzer, then dump him for the grant hustle and "Big Dig"

These guys claim to be broke.....:laughing7::icon_scratch::laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What If the tree was 75 years old when it was cut down

It's based on Carbon 14 isotopes in the air. So when the tree dies/stops absorbing air is when the clock starts.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sums up the whole show: Nuts in the Mud on Oak Island.

I know I've said this here before.....

AcornsOprahMeme.jpg

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dbuck

Greenie
Jan 1, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok

Good post here. I am also looking forward to season 5. I try not to take the show as the be all and end all of what the brothers are doing. I recognize that it is heavily edited and only so much can be shown of what they do over a whole summer. I am just happy that the show exists so that we can see the brothers progress in solving this mystery. If it also provides funds to continue the search, so be it.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Carbon testing only works on organic materials

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I didn't record last night to watch. by the guide description,
it looked like it was just another Rerun. called New.( it said enhanced episode :( )
I'm not sure I will be watching next year. I'm still Disgusted with their Lie on the Rail Road Spike.
which makes every other i.d. they made suspicious also.

did they actually say this ? I would like to at least know they gave up on the pits
before I watch again

But the expert said it was a deck nail...... And that the cross had emeralds in it.... And the corner bracket was from a treasure chest.... LOL

They way the brothers where acting it looked like they thought the Discovery channel had taken it too far.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Matty did a rehash of the show, rehashing all the high points to end up on the spots of the island to re-rehash the items again. Is he more annoying than the Announcer? Wish we had a poll on this forum as it would be close...
So 50 mins of rehashing the rehash with no side of sunny side up eggs or toast and then they end up in Marty's vineyard.... in Michigan, in the winter!!! Man, that doesn't look right. Don't most vineyards have sun and rolling hills and grapevines all over the place? Just looked odd to me.... Snow + Vineyard = Odd! :icon_scratch:
So a Templar cross in the vineyard basement with a cool Nuke silo ceiling = lets go discuss what to do next year.
More rehash with coffee this time and then Matty shows some locals cheering on the Lag bros. Marty likes the lady saying they are cute... sweet moment!
So they don't have any new info on the items found... didn't make it back from the lab yet, shucks! But they do have a game plan for next year.... search the island!
I guess I was hoping for something but didn't get anything from the "Special"... sad. Did anyone get anything from this episode that I missed?
I grew up in Ohio, and there were many grape vineyards. One belonging to my friends Dad. They sold to Welches, and local winery's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread