well guess I will look in tonite and see what they don't find again

I have to say that the narrator is sure a hopeful dude

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The word "Coir" is very important to this part of the discussion as that was what was transported out of India.

I agree 100%, which is why I've been avoiding that word. Coir can apparently mean a couple of different things. I've seen it used when describing the fibers in a coconut's husk, the same fibers with some processing, and the finished goods made from those fibers. We sling it around a bit too freely here and, I suspect, the people digging holes on Oak Island have as well. I can understand why. "Coir" is fast to type, fast to say, and a bit mysterious. "Coconut fiber" is more cumbersome and a bit boring. However, I think that it's a more appropriate term - regardless of how the fibers at Oak Island were or were not processed, how they were used, or where they came from, "coconut fibers" is always accurate.

According to Wikipedia at least, "coir" means the same thing as "coconut fiber." If I'm understanding it correctly, it does not imply anything more than that...it's just the hairy part of the coconut. However, others have used the term in the case of Oak Island to imply more than that, and I believe that some confusion has resulted from that.

I did not want to delve into semantics, but I wound up going there anyway. I apologize for this.

Nobody manufactured coir in Panama and no coconuts grew on the Eastern Coast of Panama during that time period.

If by "manufactured coir," you mean, "used the inedible part of the coconut for something," well...I don't know. I wouldn't be comfortable stating that anyone did or did not as a fact. I would think that anyone eating coconuts would figure out that the leftovers might be useful for something.

Even if a few did, I can't picture a couple of Central American natives in canoes carrying a load of the fibres to Nova Scotia.

Can you imagine a couple of Indians getting a load of fibers to Nova Scotia? I'm looking at a packet of Hafco licorice candies next to my keyboard. All evidence points to them as having been made in Denmark, but the Danes didn't put those candies on my desk. Knowing where the coconuts came from doesn't necessarily mean that the people from that area were the ones that moved them afterwards.

If the dating's are correct, (and there have been several) then I believe we know the origin at least well enough to construct a theory.

I don't have a problem with the dating, but the dating doesn't guarantee an origin. I feel that we're missing an important part of the puzzle here. Refer back to my licorice and imagine that I was trying to figure out how it got on my desk. Knowing that it was made in Denmark still doesn't tell me how it got there, but it gives me something to work with. If I didn't even know where they'd come from...man, this would be a real head-scratcher. I'd have nothing. (Nothing besides the licorice, anyway.)

Not true. We know all the places it didn't come from only leaving one other option.

One other option that we know of. I haven't delved too deeply into this, but I was rather surprised when I discovered that coconuts were in the New World before Columbus was. I don't remember that being discussed on this forum since I've been here, but perhaps I missed it. Why did we just start talking about this recently? And more to the point, what other obvious things have we all missed until now? What less-than-obvious things have we overlooked?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What treasure?............ What treasure?......... Someone still believes that something is buried 150+ feet down in a secret vault with flood chambers and that an oak tree was at the top of the excavation hole and all that was needed was a block and tackle and simple hand tools?

Forget 300 years of progress and the industrial revolution that makes it possible to run 4ft casing to bedrock 180ft down.

A crew of pirates with nothing more than picks and shovels chiseled a spiral stair case down through subterranean rocks full of cavities as sea water rushed in. There they placed the lost works of William Shakespeare and other priceless relics in a vault that they constructed while holding their breath or took turns in a diving bell. This sounds like a good Pirates of the Caribbean script..... Davy Jones locker and the Curse of Oak Island.

I'm starting to think you don't believe there's a treasure on Oak Island.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letter from Heritage was to prove what was a real find and what finds were faked. Note they are still digging with out a permit and no Heritage person on site. Well they don't need a permit if they report ahead of time that the artifact was planted for the TV show. Note the spike was just a few inches under ground and they said many people have been there over the years hunting BUT Gary had a detector that could go down real deep, No way could any one miss that big spike at 2" down.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much of anything in that episode. Someone dropped their tea cup down one of their drill holes.... They keep saying no one has been that deep before. I am sure other people have drilled holes that deep. Chappel did to start with.. The tea cup could of fallen down any of them. There have been caves ins.. There are huge underground caverns that have had stuff cave into them.

They one minute tell us they are drilling in a huge industrial waste pit... and in the next breath tell us "hey look at this no one has drilled here before"... Arrgghh

Why haven't they done proper research before they started drilling million dollar holes. How come no one ever looked at those docs before?

I think it is now becoming pretty poor the way they are dragging out this series. They have so little to show...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The human bone is difficult to explain - there is no documentation of a searcher who died in a drilling accident and was not recoverable.

Nothing was presented confirming it was a human bone.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol... my friend you are such a cynic.. I do not believe that every treasure seeker on oak Island just went looking to fleece investors (I am sure a fair bit of investor fleecing has happened over the years). I am sure that quit a few like the Reinstalls actually began their quest believing treasure may exist... Anyway.

That still does not mean there is not an original hole where the first lot started digging and got flooded out. This is where they need to dig to prove once and for all no treasure exists at the bottom of the pit...

Yep.. It is hard to believe that anyone who has watched this show over the course of the 5 seasons that could still believe that treasure is buried there below 170+ feet…

If any treasure ever existed on OI in the area of the pit it was found years ago. The original 3 may of found some, Sam Ball may have found some, Dunfeild may have found some (none of these possible finds have been proved) BUT I do agree it has been pretty much proved that there is none still there and that no one ever buried treasure at below 100ft.

I believe the original “money pit finders” never actually found a pit (based on no evidence evidence ever of a pit with log platforms, a cryptic stone, or flood tunnels), but just as we are seeing on the show, found a coin or piece of jewelry at the time and then claimed they had found a treasure site. Gullible people took the story from there to where we are today.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal detection “expert” is hilarious. Marty: “this area has been detected before”. The metal detector expert states he is using a much higher level detector (gpx5500) and finds an old iron spike that a $79 detector could find. The hoax and hoax of a show continue. Looking for them to have another Saturday episode dump so that the season can be ended ASAP so that another show can replace it in the time slot.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China shards, could it be, could it be they have dug all the way to China?

They were found at 190 to 195 feet down.Further down than any previous "recorded" searchers have been

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much of anything in that episode. Someone dropped their tea cup down one of their drill holes.... They keep saying no one has been that deep before. I am sure other people have drilled holes that deep. Chappel did to start with.. The tea cup could of fallen down any of them. There have been caves ins.. There are huge underground caverns that have had stuff cave into them.

I see that Triton Alliance recorded they had gone to 235 feet deep.

As far as a human bone - when Dunfield and Triton filled their holes back in they just pushed old soil into the holes.

Maybe Canada will halt the work because they have disturbed indigenous people remains.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They one minute tell us they are drilling in a huge industrial waste pit... and in the next breath tell us "hey look at this no one has drilled here before"... Arrgghh

Why haven't they done proper research before they started drilling million dollar holes. How come no one ever looked at those docs before?

I think it is now becoming pretty poor the way they are dragging out this series. They have so little to show...

Agree with everything said here. I was also surprised that the archaeologist was able to narrow the manufacturing date for the tea cup remnants to between 1780 and 1800 based on those 2 small fragments. As you mentioned, this tea cup could've easily fallen down a drill shaft at any time during the past 20 years. After so many drilling expeditions, it probably looks like Swiss cheese down there. Also, even if the tea cup was manufactured in 1800 it doesn't mean it wound up 190 ft into the ground that same year. For instance, my mom still has some unopened tea cup sets that are over 40 years old.

The bone fragment thing is definitely more interesting, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if someone had died on the island over the past 300 years (after contracting a disease) and was just buried there. As mentioned above, when Dunfield dug up much of the money pit down to 140 ft depths, these bone fragments could've easily been displaced further down. It's still an interesting find, especially considering the bone fragment is probably over 200 years old.

SpeedeeAu

Dec 31, 2014
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of the the week before Thanksgiving they were still digging. Nothing you can say will make me believe that Marty is still pouring money into the ground in late November for hoax. They had enough film in the can for a season five well before November and yet they are still binging in heavy equipment. I am not saying they will find treasure but they have found the vault. It could be empty but thy have found something significant to the Oak Island story.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of the the week before Thanksgiving they were still digging. Nothing you can say will make me believe that Marty is still pouring money into the ground in late November for hoax. They had enough film in the can for a season five well before November and yet they are still bringing in heavy equipment. I am not saying they will find treasure but they have found the vault. It could be empty but thy have found something significant to the Oak Island story.

If they're still digging, I'm assuming either they extend the current season to properly edit the footage or maybe a have Season 6 start up in June instead of November 2018.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread