Season 5

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The map wasn't just to show where the coconuts traveled, but when.

Given that the Pacific coconut strain was in the Americas before Columbus, I would think that knowing what kind of coconuts that we're dealing with is pretty important. I would certainly want to establish that before stating an origin for the Nova Scotia fibers as fact.

I don't think that fibers were shipped from the Pacific to Nova Scotia. I'm saying that they may have been shipped from central or south America to Nova Scotia. A DNA test would pretty much settle the matter.

See above. You are fixated on fiber coming from the Middle East due to confirmation bias. What I'm saying is that depending on the coconut, it may not have come from there. I don't remember seeing anyone discussing this on this forum before. Why am I the first (possibly) one to bring it up? And if it was brought up before, why is it not being discussed?

Did you look at your map? The Pacific strain only went to the Pacific side of Panama before the 16th century, and very interestingly only Panama. It didn't (according to several experts of which I have posted their reports) cross into the Atlantic Basin that early. There were no coconuts growing in any part of the Atlantic Basin including the Gulf of Mexico before 1500 when the Indian Strain was introduced by the Portuguese. And while talking about "coir", nobody in the Americas had produced coir as did the Indians (of India).

Certainly a dna test would be conclusive, but even without and with the information we now have there is a proven mystery, which at this time, is my only point.

Oh, and I believe that is a Lone Ranger revolver like the one I had
when I was a kid a few years ago.
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Did you look at your map?

I posted it, so presumably yes.

The Pacific strain only went to the Pacific side of Panama before the 16th century...

How far before?

...and very interestingly only Panama.

Coincidentally, the shortest land path between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans is in central America, specifically Panama. There's a reason that the canal was built there after all, and it wasn't because of the hospitable climate and excellent working conditions.

It didn't (according to several experts of which I have posted their reports) cross into the Atlantic Basin that early.

The nuts may not have. What about the dunnage made from the fibers? I'm just investigating alternatives. I haven't made up my mind with what we're dealing with here, because we haven't yet investigated every opportunity to prove what we're looking at is what we think it is. A DNA test would largely settle the question.

There were no coconuts growing in any part of the Atlantic Basin including the Gulf of Mexico before 1500 when the Indian Strain was introduced by the Portuguese.

Probably. When more DNA testing has been conducted, I may amend that to "definitely." That's hard to do though. When the Europeans hit the Atlantic coast, they didn't look at every square inch of it.

And while talking about "coir", nobody in the Americas had produced coir as did the Indians (of India).

So this rotten crap that is probably (but not definitely) coconut fiber is definitely coir, as made in India? And we know for sure that no one else did that?

Certainly a dna test would be conclusive, but even without and with the information we now have there is a proven mystery, which at this time, is my only point.

That was not what you were originally saying, but I agree. It's a mystery. I also feel that it's a mystery that can be solved, but only with DNA testing. Stating that "X went to Y" as a fact before this testing has been done is premature. That's my only point.

Oh, and I believe that is a Lone Ranger revolver like the one I had
when I was a kid a few years ago.

I don't know much about that. I own two revolvers, and the Long Ranger used neither one of them. I'm quite certain of this.

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted it, so presumably yes.

How far before?

Coincidentally, the shortest land path between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans is in central America, specifically Panama. There's a reason that the canal was built there after all, and it wasn't because of the hospitable climate and excellent working conditions.

The nuts may not have. What about the dunnage made from the fibers? I'm just investigating alternatives. I haven't made up my mind with what we're dealing with here, because we haven't yet investigated every opportunity to prove what we're looking at is what we think it is. A DNA test would largely settle the question.

Probably. When more DNA testing has been conducted, I may amend that to "definitely." That's hard to do though. When the Europeans hit the Atlantic coast, they didn't look at every square inch of it.

So this rotten crap that is probably (but not definitely) coconut fiber is definitely coir, as made in India? And we know for sure that no one else did that?

That was not what you were originally saying, but I agree. It's a mystery. I also feel that it's a mystery that can be solved, but only with DNA testing. Stating that "X went to Y" as a fact before this testing has been done is premature. That's my only point.

I don't know much about that. I own two revolvers, and the Long Ranger used neither one of them. I'm quite certain of this.

Because Panama is a short land path between two oceans the coconuts floated to that area and seeded?

Dna was used to help determine when coconuts first appeared in the Atlantic Basin!

Dunnage or fibres or coconuts themselves were deemed unable to float from the Pacific Basin or Indian Ocean to the Atlantic Basin.

I don't know in what original form the fibre arrived in Nova Scotia.

I think that the only possible argument you could have to defend your case is questioning the identity and dating of what was found on Oak Island, the most recent of which was performed by an expert hired by the Lagina's. This is a source I take at face value but again I would very much like to see the documentation.

I didn't say the Lone Ranger used my revolver for crying out loud, it was a toy and I was a little kid! I wasn't allowed to have real pistols until I went into the Army at 17.

Btw, where are you located? you seem to post at ungodly hours.
Cheers, Loki

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the share robot

The close up pics are interesting. Another map... With X marks the spot. It does look old.

View attachment 1521809

I Hope it does show the original hole... The whole exercise will be wasted if they do not find and drill in what was meant to be the original pit.

It is quite amazing that none of the earlier searchers marked a map... Still I suppose treasure seekers are a suspicious lot and not prone to share their maps....

The reason there were not more marked maps is due to the fact that a money pit never existed. Several diggers were digging holes they were claiming was the actual site of the hoax pit. Restall performed a scorched earth dig and scalped the island and still never found anything. Poor excavating/mining practices led to his death. All for a hoax...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason there were not more marked maps is due to the fact that a money pit never existed. Several diggers were digging holes they were claiming was the actual site of the hoax pit. Restall performed a scorched earth dig and scalped the island and still never found anything. Poor excavating/mining practices led to his death. All for a hoax...
Even if there was no treasure buried, there still is an original hole (The first one they started digging).

It is interesting on that old map that there is a second money pit marked at the other end of the island. I wonder if they start digging there now as well.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Because Panama is a short land path between two oceans the coconuts floated to that area and seeded?

Not at all.

Did coconuts float to the Holy Land, or anywhere near there? (I won't ask whether or not they seeded, as they do not grow there.)

Dna was used to help determine when coconuts first appeared in the Atlantic Basin!

The ones growing there, yes.

Coconuts do not grow in the Holy Land, but coconut fibers may have passed through there. How did they get there?

I don't know in what original form the fibre arrived in Nova Scotia.

Would that be an important thing to know when formulating theories for how it got there?

I think that the only possible argument you could have to defend your case is questioning the identity and dating of what was found on Oak Island, the most recent of which was performed by an expert hired by the Lagina's. This is a source I take at face value but again I would very much like to see the documentation.

You may not understand my case then. I'm not trying to state an origin for those fibers, or how they got there. I don't know enough to hazard a guess on it. What I am doing is attempting to figure out ways that it could have happened. It is a mystery, as you've stated repeatedly, and I agree with that. I'm trying to come up with ways for how coconut fibers got to Nova Scotia, while attempting to exclude confirmation bias. If you were to ask me how those fibers got there, I'd honestly say that I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I didn't say the Lone Ranger used my revolver for crying out loud...

Did I say that he did?

Btw, where are you located? you seem to post at ungodly hours.

I was recently working an ungodly schedule. I should be far more predictable now.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if there was no treasure buried, there still is an original hole (The first one they started digging).

It is interesting on that old map that there is a second money pit marked at the other end of the island. I wonder if they start digging there now as well.

"The first one who started digging"? Which hole are you referencing? Of course no empirical evidence has even been provided showing the location of an "actual" hole that the hoax is based on. The "who" is the question. All of the "companies" who dug on the island were constantly asking for investor's money and needed to show dirt piled up for the to keep the hoax going.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coconuts do not grow in the Holy Land, but coconut fibers may have passed through there. How did they get there?

Did I say that he did?

Coconut 'coir' has been documented throughout the Eastern Mediterranean including Cyprus, as early as the 12th or 13th century. It came partially overland from India (where it was produced) brought there by Arab traders. As a matter of fact, much later coir began showing up in Western Europe.

As for the cap gun, I was only funnin.

Cheers, Loki

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone proven the date that anything was buried on Oak Island? I am quite sure the treasure was buried in the late 1600's and the coconut fibers came from Haiti.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Again!...What Country...Is Oak Island...Located In?

Fans of The Curse of Oak Island can win an all-expenses paid trip to visit the legendary island in a sweepstakes being run by History.

The prize includes a round-trip airfare for you and a friend from the US, three nights at a luxury hotel, a tour of Oak Island and a special The Curse of Oak Island swag bag.
It also includes transport to and from the airport, and a $1,000 pre-paid credit card for things like food during the trip – with the whole prize worth $4,600.

Currently to enter you have to be over the age of 18, legally resident in one of the 50 United States or District of Columbia and located in the United States at the time of entry.

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/the-curse-of-oak-island-sweepstakes-win-a-trip-to-visit-legendary-treasure-hunting-location/

Attachments

• Illegal Aliens 2.jpg
    Illegal Aliens 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 59

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Has anyone proven the date that anything was buried on Oak Island? I am quite sure the treasure was buried in the late 1600's and the coconut fibers came from Haiti.

What treasure?............ What treasure?......... Someone still believes that something is buried 150+ feet down in a secret vault with flood chambers and that an oak tree was at the top of the excavation hole and all that was needed was a block and tackle and simple hand tools?

Forget 300 years of progress and the industrial revolution that makes it possible to run 4ft casing to bedrock 180ft down.

A crew of pirates with nothing more than picks and shovels chiseled a spiral stair case down through subterranean rocks full of cavities as sea water rushed in. There they placed the lost works of William Shakespeare and other priceless relics in a vault that they constructed while holding their breath or took turns in a diving bell. This sounds like a good Pirates of the Caribbean script..... Davy Jones locker and the Curse of Oak Island.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if I win can I just keep the prepaid card and skip the trip?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Coconut 'coir' has been documented throughout the Eastern Mediterranean including Cyprus, as early as the 12th or 13th century. It came partially overland from India (where it was produced) brought there by Arab traders.

If coconuts (or parts of coconuts) could be transported (partially) overland from India to the Middle East, could coconuts (or parts of coconuts) be likewise moved from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast? Again, I'm not saying that this happened, but I can't say that it didn't happen.

Since we can't be absolutely sure of the origin of the coconut fibers, does it make sense to construct a theory around how they got there that depends heavily upon knowing their origin?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The first one who started digging"? Which hole are you referencing? Of course no empirical evidence has even been provided showing the location of an "actual" hole that the hoax is based on. The "who" is the question. All of the "companies" who dug on the island were constantly asking for investor's money and needed to show dirt piled up for the to keep the hoax going.
lol... my friend you are such a cynic.. I do not believe that every treasure seeker on oak Island just went looking to fleece investors (I am sure a fair bit of investor fleecing has happened over the years). I am sure that quit a few like the Reinstalls actually began their quest believing treasure may exist... Anyway.

That still does not mean there is not an original hole where the first lot started digging and got flooded out. This is where they need to dig to prove once and for all no treasure exists at the bottom of the pit...

What treasure?............ What treasure?......... Someone still believes that something is buried 150+ feet down in a secret vault with flood chamber…..
Yep.. It is hard to believe that anyone who has watched this show over the course of the 5 seasons that could still believe that treasure is buried there below 170+ feet…

If any treasure ever existed on OI in the area of the pit it was found years ago. The original 3 may of found some, Sam Ball may have found some, Dunfeild may have found some (none of these possible finds have been proved) BUT I do agree it has been pretty much proved that there is none still there and that no one ever buried treasure at below 100ft.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fans of The Curse of Oak Island can win an all-expenses paid trip to visit the legendary island in a sweepstakes being run by History.
When you arrive the give you a shovel and tell you to start digging to find you prize..

View attachment 1523104

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If coconuts (or parts of coconuts) could be transported (partially) overland from India to the Middle East, could coconuts (or parts of coconuts) be likewise moved from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast? Again, I'm not saying that this happened, but I can't say that it didn't happen.

Since we can't be absolutely sure of the origin of the coconut fibers, does it make sense to construct a theory around how they got there that depends heavily upon knowing their origin?

The word "Coir" is very important to this part of the discussion as that was what was transported out of India. Nobody manufactured coir in Panama and no coconuts grew on the Eastern Coast of Panama during that time period. Even if a few did, I can't picture a couple of Central American natives in canoes carrying a load of the fibres to Nova Scotia.

If the dating's are correct, (and there have been several) then I believe we know the origin at least well enough to construct a theory.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all the people that are convinced of where those fibers came from, it's merely speculation without a DNA test. Discussing possibilities based on speculation is...well, a bit premature.

Amen, brother. Let's not put the cart before the horse.

:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions