Season 5

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I speculated that one of the show runners hid the cross at Smith's Cove and the Laginas just happened to find it. However, after no mention of having the cross tested after several weeks, tells me that everyone is all in on the hoax. If there's actual documentation that Templars smuggled gold inside lead, they should've ran to the university to get it tested. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the jewelry from next week was planted as well.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing to find on Oak Island.

Something was at the headwaters of both the Gold and the Gaspereau Rivers, the mouth each of which is indicated by an Oak Island. These are apparently the only two islands with oak trees growing on them in all of NS.

Samuel de Champlain was in on the scheme for when he showed up 200 years later, he did what he could to hide the existence of the refuge (his normally detailed maps became vague in the area, his reports were deliberately false with respect to prospects for settlers). As a result, colonization of the area was slowed down for about a generation until the family could be moved to Ville Marie (Montreal), not hidden this time, but disguised as the Sulpician religious order.

The answer is there (but no treasure).

6212D5E2-6C19-494C-BF6D-FFE78DBC165C.jpeg

Last edited:

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , how could a steel plate big enough to stop a caisson not be found by the dual induction metal detector ? It registered anomalies in the 4 holes surrounding this caisson location at 170' depth but nothing here at 75-80' range. Something doesn't add up ...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , how could a steel plate big enough to stop a caisson not be found by the dual induction metal detector ? It registered anomalies in the 4 holes surrounding this caisson location at 170' depth but nothing here at 75-80' range. Something doesn't add up ...
good point.. Are they now drilling in the area they did not put down there test holes

pattern-drilling-2-2.jpg

That would be the only rational explanation I could think of...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now they want to send down a diver ? What is he going to find that they did not already see themselves ? Plus the diver will now be in dark, murky water. They think the bottom has a steel plate covering it ?.

The diver could confirm a "Plate" by feel, or part of the shape of what is likely to be an old engine block or excavation bucket. The I-Beam test seems to rule out the "old drill bit" theory. If the diver feels an attachment point, they could winch the whole thing out, possibly while raising the caisson.

It's quite a reach to imagine that they could safely manipulate an underwater cutting torch by feel, but bringing up a sample for analysis would be helpful.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady expert they had did not have a single picture of a similar cross even though she claimed to have seen similar ones. If she had I am sure we would of been shown the photos. They happy to fly in any looney with a Knights Templar theory but not happy to drive to Halifax university...

Is not the cross found a "Rosary Cross" The circled top is for the "Rose" and the bottom for the "Cross" would not this be the Rosicrucian's Cross. The treasure is there they just need to get out of the 250 years of trash from other diggers. Get Petter Amundsen back on the show and dig up the TREASURE.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point.. Are they now drilling in the area they did not put down there test holes

View attachment 1553487

That would be the only rational explanation I could think of...

Based on the map they showed a few weeks ago, the new drill location is located exactly in the middle of the 4 test holes located at the bottom right hand corner. The guy running the tests found a similar anomally in hole H-8 but nothing was found. The whole metal detecting was a big waste of time.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back to the cross, it's interesting that Craig Tester left the island as soon as it came into the picture. I realize that his family is going through a horrible ordeal with the tragic loss of his son, but he's not even a part of the video conference. Part of me thinks that being one of the main proponents for getting items tested and reading the lab results, he didn't want to take part in this whole story angle when the show runners decided not to have it tested first. The Laginas have no choice but go with this angle since it's the only way to keep the show going. They were probably told that they'll lose their audience if all they dig up is dirt and wood for 10 straight episodes.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Received this message from Robot:

“Unfortunately you have been a disruptive poster on our Thread!
We will be monitoring your posts in the future to view if we might be able to invite you to post once again on this thread.

Regards,
Robot”

Asking for factual evidence for posts he and others made regarding fictional material all in an effort to keep a hoax going must have touched a nerve...

Was this a private message?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there have been lots of "metal" objects used on the island, furnaces, digging devices, pumps, etc. Most of these would not be thick steel other then possibly the claw in that pic. Any of those items "should" not stop their drill casing, and or their heavy battering ram thingy.. Most bracing walls back then were made out of wood... Not saying there is a 3'' x 4' x 8' piece of steel plate down there and or that their couldn't be from what ever reason... I doubt there was much of that type plate used on the island over the years, and only that might would stop their digging machine. A furnace would not do it as it would break apart. Granted it could be a long steel I-beam of some sort that is laying cross ways thru their path which would maybe knock off their teeth, and their big grabber might not be able to grab it and even if it did it would not be able to pull it up as it would hit the bottom of their casing..

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show is so predictable. When drilling the last hole, once the casing broke thru to the existing underground water caverns that line the island and fell to the bottom of the cavern, the narrator stated that it had hit and crushed the imaginary chapel vault. Yet instead of cleaning out the caisson and sending divers down to collect the vast treasures said to exist in the chapel vault, they said, “hhmmm.....let’s dig a different hole”.....

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady expert they had did not have a single picture of a similar cross even though she claimed to have seen similar ones. If she had I am sure we would of been shown the photos. They happy to fly in any looney with a Knights Templar theory but not happy to drive to Halifax university...

Is not the cross found a "Rosary Cross" The circled top is for the "Rose" and the bottom for the "Cross" would not this be the Rosicrucian's Cross. The treasure is there they just need to get out of the 250 years of trash from other diggers. Get Petter Amundsen back on the show and dig up the TREASURE.

No, not an actual Rosary Cross........remember the Acme Co. where Wiley Coyote bought his supplies in an attempt to catch the Road Runner? That’s where it came from...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show is so predictable. When drilling the last hole, once the caisson broke thru to the existing underground water caverns that line the island and fell to the bottom of the cavern, the narrator stated that it had hit and crushed the imaginary chapel vault. Yet instead of cleaning out the caisson and sending divers down to collect the vast treasures said to exist in the chapel vault, they said, “hhmmm.....let’s dig a different hole”.....

That's my biggest beef with the show. It would've been so much better if they actually hired a true island historian who could provide valuable information as to what people like Dunfield actually dug up. When you hear someone say that because there are no actual search shafts at 90 ft depths, the obstruction must be part of the original money pit, you have to scratch your head and wonder if these guys even looked at the pictures with the whole area dug up by Dunfield. It's like they're living in a parallel universe where this didn't happen.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not an actual Rosary Cross........remember the Acme Co. where Wiley Coyote bought his supplies in an attempt to catch the Road Runner? That’s where it came from...

I see you are throwing your thoughts in here? Do you have actual proof the cross is a fake? No, I do not believe you do.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the show producers, the brothers and everyone involved has seen every picture they can find. It is a show remember and just like true story movies they take liberties to make it more interesting to the general public. Keep in mind that 90% or more of the viewers have never read anything else about the island treasure hunt. The only thing they know is what they see on the show. Sad but true.. I doubt Marty would be wasting his time on the show just to make a few bucks off it when he has an Energy Company and a Vineyard to keep him occupied... Rick yes, he has nothing better to do as he is retired... They supposedly spent 7 million dollars to have the rights and permits to start searching before the show was even aired. So assuming the show money pays for each years "adventure" I could see Marty trying to get their initial investment back thru the show some how, but you know all the people helping are not doing it for free ( other then family which are being paid by the show so I can see them wanting to milk this for all they can ) and all the different drilling companies may have done their part for a cheaper rate to get the free publicity off the show, it still would not be cheap...

I said all that to say I don't think the brothers are making alot of money off the show.. Some of the family yes as they have nothing invested like Marty and Greg Tester....

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few issues with this season, among everybody else's complaints.

I've heard the Laginas several times now refer to the "real treasure" not being gold or monetary but the story or the information they discover about the island's history. I think it is intentional in setting up the viewers for a final dead end, i.e. no actual or tangible teasure found at the end of this season. We all must realize this series is not necessarily presented in a chronological order. Some of the scenes we see in an earlier episode may have been shot after later episodes, maybe even after the finale. The editors/producer piece it together to try to make as compelling a story as possible, whether by hook or by crook. One of these "precursor" scenes involved the guys digging in the "old dump" on Nolan's land. Drayton found the hinges and immediately suggested they could be from a chest. Marty's reaction was pretty much rolling his eyes and unexcited.

The issue with the cross is that I think it will be the most important "find" of the season and they want to withhold confirmation until the finale so they can milk the interest as long as possible. Because it is really the only interesting thing going on in the whole 2nd half of the season. Could be planted, could be insignificant. Not sure I care anymore.

Probably the only thing that keeps me tuning in is the clip in the season 5 trailer where Marty says "Not only did we find the money pit, the money pit is real." Though based on how misleading a lot of these previews are, he could be referring to something completely different. Like "a money pit is a hole in the ground you throw money into and it took us 5 seasons to finally admit it".

Though ratings are still really high for this series, I agree that the new confederate gold series is probably intended to pick up the audience from COOI when it ends, possibly in two weeks.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few issues with this season, among everybody else's complaints.

I've heard the Laginas several times now refer to the "real treasure" not being gold or monetary but the story or the information they discover about the island's history. I think it is intentional in setting up the viewers for a final dead end, i.e. no actual or tangible teasure found at the end of this season. We all must realize this series is not necessarily presented in a chronological order. Some of the scenes we see in an earlier episode may have been shot after later episodes, maybe even after the finale. The editors/producer piece it together to try to make as compelling a story as possible, whether by hook or by crook. One of these "precursor" scenes involved the guys digging in the "old dump" on Nolan's land. Drayton found the hinges and immediately suggested they could be from a chest. Marty's reaction was pretty much rolling his eyes and unexcited.

The issue with the cross is that I think it will be the most important "find" of the season and they want to withhold confirmation until the finale so they can milk the interest as long as possible. Because it is really the only interesting thing going on in the whole 2nd half of the season. Could be planted, could be insignificant. Not sure I care anymore.

Probably the only thing that keeps me tuning in is the clip in the season 5 trailer where Marty says "Not only did we find the money pit, the money pit is real." Though based on how misleading a lot of these previews are, he could be referring to something completely different. Like "a money pit is a hole in the ground you throw money into and it took us 5 seasons to finally admit it".

Though ratings are still really high for this series, I agree that the new confederate gold series is probably intended to pick up the audience from COOI when it ends, possibly in two weeks.

I agree with everything you said. As you mentioned, short of them finding any real treasure, they want to go out with a bang. Finding bones or other material from the 17th and 18th centuries is not that big of deal, if there's no treasure to back it up. Everyone knows the island has had settlers over the past 3 or 4 hundred years, so finding worthless items from this era doesn't really change anything. This is why they're working the Templar angle so hard and why the cross came into the picture. Short of finding the treasure, they want to convince the audience that they have proof that the Templars were here hundreds of years before the first explorers. People watching this have to ask themselves that if the producers truly believed this was an 800-year old cross, would they wait several weeks to have it tested? The narrative would've been so much better of they had it tested first and then bring in these so called experts to fawn over it. Instead, we get these wild speculations about the cross being anywhere from 1,200 BC to 1,600 AD. Also, when the Templar angle was brought up with respect to the cross, a connection was made by the crew with respect to the bone found in the pit from middle-eastern ancestry. Did those guys even consider that the timelines are more than 300 years apart? It's like saying I found a stone marked in Chinese, so it must be from the Han Dynasty.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the show producers, the brothers and everyone involved has seen every picture they can find. It is a show remember and just like true story movies they take liberties to make it more interesting to the general public. Keep in mind that 90% or more of the viewers have never read anything else about the island treasure hunt. The only thing they know is what they see on the show. Sad but true.. I doubt Marty would be wasting his time on the show just to make a few bucks off it when he has an Energy Company and a Vineyard to keep him occupied... Rick yes, he has nothing better to do as he is retired... They supposedly spent 7 million dollars to have the rights and permits to start searching before the show was even aired. So assuming the show money pays for each years "adventure" I could see Marty trying to get their initial investment back thru the show some how, but you know all the people helping are not doing it for free ( other then family which are being paid by the show so I can see them wanting to milk this for all they can ) and all the different drilling companies may have done their part for a cheaper rate to get the free publicity off the show, it still would not be cheap...

I said all that to say I don't think the brothers are making alot of money off the show.. Some of the family yes as they have nothing invested like Marty and Greg Tester....

I completely get all that and do think that Rick and Marty did believe that treasure was buried on this island at one point. However, if the show is coming to an end, with Marty signed by the History Channel for another adventure, how hard would it be to convince them to play along with the Templar angle? If I was a producer who planted the cross, here's what I would tell Rick and Marty when they were led to find it. "Hey guys, I know you want to test this really badly, but let's not do that until be build a narrative first. There's no doubt in my mind this cross is really old, but there is that slight 1% chance it isn't. I promise that we'll get it tested at some point, but we need to build up the suspense first." In this scenario, the Laginas may or may not have been aware that the cross was planted.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess anything is possible. I would assume that filming the show for Marty is a time consuming process and not much fun. Does it because it helps fund the search, and maybe by helping on another show/adventure it will fund them to continue the search on Oak Island without the cameras.. I'm sure over the years they have learned to "play along" with making the show whether they like it or not it's free money for the search... We'd all do it probably if in their position...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread