Season 5

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the internet noise I'm hearing, A relic of some kind is found in this season-ending 2 hour episode.

A fourth hole turned up stuff that was terribly interesting and one of the brothers quoted
"I honestly think that if you thought the Spanish coin was a big find, people will love this".

A step up from a Spanish coin doesn't leave me much confidence either.

Your Bud Aurum

They'll probably find a slightly older coin from 1635 and say that the owner dropped it there that exact same year.

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a TV show after all. Some of ya'll complain when they spend time just showing them drilling holes and now your complaining they didn't show them drilling all the holes on the map. No one wants to watch a whole show of them standing there watching other people work drilling holes so the show has to have something they think is interesting to show us while that is going on. Dang it is a TV show remember... They also know they can't just go digging anytime or anywhere as they have to have permits for that and some of them probably have a time frame attached to them..

kudos, yes..... they will never be satisfied for some strange reason until we all stop watching the show,then they will develop a conspiracy as to why the show went black all of a sudden lol My feeling is,let them dig, better then not digging, when you're not digging your guaranteed of finding nothing. I find the show entertaining and will keep watching it. one has the option to not watch it if it gives you fits.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is it just a sink hole? Or was it a tar pit? Are there records of an earthquake to prove your theory?.
Not my theory. Offered by many historians on OI including J.Steele. I suggest you read Joy Steeles book (it is only $10) she offers evidence of the earthquake/soil liquidifcation explanation. Not a tar Pit they were making Pine Tar (made from heating trees in a tar Kiln). Read her book if you are interested in her theory. It is only a thin book and quite interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is it just a sink hole? Or was it a tar pit? Are there records of an earthquake to prove your theory?.
Just also did a quick google on Oak Island Sink Hole also

Other sceptics have proposed that the legendary Money Pit was nothing more than a sinkhole caused by the ground settling over a void in the underlying rock. Given that the strata beneath Oak Island is basically limestone and anhydrite, often associated with the formation of solution caverns and salt domes, the surface may be characterized by sinkholes.

Interestingly, a sinkhole actually appeared on Oak Island in 1878. Sophia Sellers was ploughing the earth when it suddenly sank beneath her oxen. The area was thus named the ‘cave-in Pit,’ and located just over a hundred yards east of the Money Pit, directly above the flood tunnel.
source:https://oakislandtreasure.wordpress.com/theories/is-the-money-pit-natural/

This theory has been offered by many Historians to explain OI. This phernomina is quite common in the area...

edit: Just read this link from another poster in a different thread also (re sink holes in the area): https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03175806

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
of course they will find something at the end to get everyone to next season

could it be made of metal not from this planet?
might it require many trips of research?
is there one possible group that could have hidden something that we have not linked to oak island?
Can we get one more season of TV money before everyone knows this was for nothing?

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
When the t.v. guide description for tonight says :
"It's the moment of truth for the fellowship of the dig as they decide to quit or continue."
The very last episode of the season determines whether they quit or comeback next year ? So they actually thought of calling it quits ? If so, that meant nothing they found in the previous 5 seasons offered them hope for a 6th season and it was only the last episode that decides the future fate ? I still look back at Craig saying he wasn't coming back. That seemed like good timing to bow out and not make it look like he had enough and rain on Rick and Marty's parade. His family was important to him yes, but it seems like he did not see much in the future and felt time to fade into the background ?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm no there is an existence of a subject. The subject is Oak Island's story. That's a fact, Oak Island has a story.

No you need to supply proof of your anti- theories. Just because you write an opinion on what it could be and not what someone else theorizes with out lack of proof also does not make you opinion fact.

:laughing7:....dude, when there is no existence of any actual evidences of an existence then there can exist no true claim or denial "of nothing!" :laughing7: Yes, Oak Island is a real place. Big Deal. But as far as all of this treasure related stuff, so far, that's all there is at Oak Island. Period! :laughing7:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they found old costume jewelry.....but gawaaay clarified that his “expert” dated it via his opinion on the “cuts”.......based on that it could still be the ornamental decoration from someone’s toy holster....leaves a lot of doubt.....but again common items found on the island to date are nothing more than items folks have lost on the island for hundreds of years....no link to anything significant ever being on hoax island...

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the obstruction is a hard granite piece, that raises the thoughts:
What is the likelihood of a large natural piece of granite on the island?
If something was buried deep in the 17th century, a "safe / tomb" might be made of granite.
A block of stone / concrete explains why the metal detection array didn't pick it up at 77 feet.
Could they "Core" the obstruction with a smaller bit to get an idea how thick it is and what lies below?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s a metal plate, it’s just scrap leftover from the 800 other digs on the island....if it’s stone, again debris from previous digs or naturally occurring...

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The season ends with another fluff filled, meaningless episode with even Dan Blankenship admitting doubt....so much for the big reveal that was promised......The show then leads into the laginas next hoax series, curse of confederate gold.

I know some folks here were counting on the laginas to actually show something that was even vaguely close to being construed as evidence of something, but as usual, the show continues to prove that nothing of significance ever existed on hoax island....

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If the obstruction is a hard granite piece, that raises the thoughts:
What is the likelihood of a large natural piece of granite on the island?
If something was buried deep in the 17th century, a "safe / tomb" might be made of granite.
A block of stone / concrete explains why the metal detection array didn't pick it up at 77 feet.
Could they "Core" the obstruction with a smaller bit to get an idea how thick it is and what lies below?

There is a least 20 feet of ground carved off of the suface by all the excavating taken place.

That puts the actual depth of this Granite Casing around 97 feet!

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a least 20 feet of ground carved off of the suface by all the excavating taken place.

That puts the actual depth of this Granite Casing around 97 feet!

No granite casing was found.....just a granite rock......

And the worst part of the next hoax of confederate gold series? It has the same narrator as curse of hoax island....

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to give it to Dan Blankenship for stating what everyone watching the show is thinking. Oak Island has had many visitors in the past 300 to 400 years, so there will likely be items found near the surface.

I have to wonder if looking forward to Season 6, the expert lab technicians at the university will be replaced by Gary's jeweler friend. It astounds me that their supposed biggest find, the lead cross, has still avoided any actual testing. Also, Marty mentioning that the fake jewelry and old worthless coins amount to some sort of treasure was a ridiculous statement. So next year we'll be looking forward to 5 episodes of excavating the U shaped structure that Dan already found, 5 mire episodes of drilling through the granite and then more crackpot theories linking Oak Island to anyone from Ghengis Khan to Julius Caesar.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe how volatile this issue is.

It would be nice if we broke it down into sections so we can debate one point at a time without being sidetracked. Some examples would be:

Original story
is something buried
who buried it

IMO, it keeps coming back to the original story doesn't it? I think it has been proven somewhat true. They found charcoal, parchment, bone fragments, clay, coconut fiber(on the beach), as well as other items.

To me, im concerned about the original story. Regardless of what was there(or is there), before the original story, there was a pit dug, somebody dug it, and there is proof they did(providing you believe the show(which I do)).

" I think it has been proven somewhat true. They found charcoal, parchment, bone fragments, clay, coconut fiber(on the beach), as well as other items." This would be all fine & dandy if no one had been on the island like say people grounding a ship to do repairs, soldiers for R&R or making ready to move to an objective, fishermen / processors preparing their catches, or making salt to preserve the fish in. That's the problem! The show makes a lot of people think the Templars were the only ones to set foot on the island. They try to point everything along the Templar story line & throw out or twist finds etc. that might point in another direction.

And on a lighter note. Would someone tell Jack Begleys makeup artist they put his hair on upside down!!! Please? :tongue3:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a question for you guys. Can anyone explain to me why don't they just sling up these rocks etc. and retrieve the diver then winch it / them up? Or send a basket or goodie bag down then the diver? Bringing some stuff up & eyeballing it topside would be a lot better than a diver in near zero visibility trying to draw a picture in his head of what he's touching. They usually have a crane on station, or one nearby.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a question for you guys. Can anyone explain to me why don't they just sling up these rocks etc. and retrieve the diver then winch it / them up? Or send a basket or goodie bag down then the diver? Bringing some stuff up & eyeballing it topside would be a lot better than a diver in near zero visibility trying to draw a picture in his head of what he's touching. They usually have a crane on station, or one nearby.

If you could actually see what the diver is touching then they couldn't present wild speculation and drama about what it is. It's a show for entertainment, drama and mystery is entertainment. Not much you can sensationalize or fantasize about when the obvious is right in front of your audiance's eyes.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they found old costume jewelry.....but gawaaay clarified that his “expert” dated it via his opinion on the “cuts”.......based on that it could still be the ornamental decoration from someone’s toy holster....leaves a lot of doubt.....but again common items found on the island to date are nothing more than items folks have lost on the island for hundreds of years....no link to anything significant ever being on hoax island...

In the jewelry biss it's called a Lone Ranger cut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread