Seated Silver and Buttons

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my finds from my last hunt. Jeff and I ended up getting some good finds from this property including the Seated and the Virginia Halfpenny that he found, in addition to a nice variety of buttons.

Here's the Pics:

1856 Seated Dime

My Pictures 397ed.jpg

MD Pics 1004.jpg

One Piece Navy Eagle w/ Shank on Face (Jeff and I both got one of these)

MD Pics 1006.jpg

Old Pewter Flower Button/ with Very BIG Shank (Fleur-de-Leise on the back)

MD Pics 1008.jpg

MD Pics 1010.jpg

Hammond Turner & Sons. John Bowen

MD Pics 1014.jpg

Eagle "A's"
MD Pics 1017.jpg

MD Pics 1024.jpg

MD Pics 1025.jpg

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!! from Lt. Joshua "Sentinel" Owen (Observing the movements in and about the Halloween Party ;D)

MD Pics 1022.jpg

Attachments

• My Pictures 397ed.jpg
    My Pictures 397ed.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh Great CW era seated and other cool finds , Lt. Sentinel 8) 8) 8

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Nice digs Josh! Would love to know whats up with the shank on those buttons? :icon_scratch: Keep up the good work. Best of luck to you for the rest of the fall. :icon_thumright:

Not quite sure but I've dug a few of them before at another location a few miles away.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
More nice digs...Way to go capt. homeboy :D

Capt. Homeboy :laughing9: If you're speaking of the hair; Not at all, nearly all officers and most soldiers in that period had hair like mine. My SCV group got mad at me when I buzzed my hair bc it wasn't authentic for living history, reenacting, and documentaries :icon_thumleft: :wink: Short was the exception back then..

This is who I used to often play when I did living history (E. Porter Alexander). Notice the length of his hair, Although combed back real nice for the pic, its almost the exact same length as mine.

images

images

Here's NBF with very similar hair
nbf.jpg

However, here's one when I had short hair: CIVIL WAR DAYS 2004-2005

Confederate Infantry Civil War Days 2005ed.jpg

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Josh,
If I walked up on you dressed like that for Halloween I'd throw my bag of candy at you and run like h-ll!!! :o :laughing9:
Excellent haul on the buttons. Most people (like me) are happy scoring just one. I'd soil myself if I found that many. :thumbsup:
That eagle button with shank on the front is a super find indeed.
I've never seen a Hammond Turner & Ss back mark, but here's some info for you.
A big congrats Joshmeister! :occasion14:
-Doug-

:cussing: ARRRHH Give me all your candy! :laughing7: ;D Thanks Doug man, hope you had a good Trick or Treat :laughing9: BTW, thanks for the info on that button, they had a long career in the button making field it seems. What book was that in Albert's or Tice's or another??

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet hunt with great results!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Tuff said:
sweet hunt with great results!!! MR TUFF

Appreciate it Mr Tuff! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nics finds Josh! Look at all those Eagle A's!! Now that I see your pic, you are definitely the guy I remember from DIV 14. Speaking of DIV, I did it colonial style this time! Post and pics coming later today.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!You guys and the awesome buttons!!I am jealous,our guys out here just didnt wear many.
My hunting buddy,that lives in a period store and lives and breaths the Gold Rush,also does the most true reenactments,wore his full regalia for Halloween, he is trying to talk me into doing them with him,its just finding the time!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
ModernMiner said:
Josh,
If I walked up on you dressed like that for Halloween I'd throw my bag of candy at you and run like h-ll!!! :o :laughing9:
Excellent haul on the buttons. Most people (like me) are happy scoring just one. I'd soil myself if I found that many. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

:cussing: ARRRHH Give me all your candy! :laughing7: ;D Thanks Doug man, hope you had a good Trick or Treat :laughing9: BTW, thanks for the info on that button, they had a long career in the button making field it seems. What book was that in Albert's or Tice's or another??

Joshmeister,
Here's the book I found that info in about your button.
Now can I have my candy bag back? :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-

Attachments

• MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 310

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, but a Gentleman always keeps his top button buttoned. :wink: 8)

-Buck

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironman! said:
{Sentinel} said:
Ironman! said:
What a great bunch of buttons Josh, WTG! :hello2: Dont ya just love the oddball buttons and old pewter buttons!! I see your catching up with me on the seated count too!!! Nice coin !!!!

Love the uniform!!!!! Which movies? I was in a movie also back in 92'

Larry

Well the biggest that most people would probably know was Gods and Generals (the prequel to Gettysburg). Also in April 1865 (History Channel), The Civil War in Hampton Roads (PBS), The Bloody Angle (Independent Movie), and also in "The Contraband Slave Camps" a very big regional play on Union General Butler's interactions with the Confederates here in Virginia.

Thanks for the info. Josh!

I was a stand-in for Craig Scheffer & D.B. Sweeney for the movie "Fire In The Sky" I was in the town meeting scene along with my wife!

And ya think ya know a guy!!I never knew that I.Man...I mean I knew you were famous and all but geeze!!! :laughing7:
Bet ya didnt know I was in Little House on The Prairie AND Lonesome Dove!!!!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The # of eagle buttons amazes me ! Of course I only find about 2 CW buttone a season way up north here ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Nics finds Josh! Look at all those Eagle A's!! Now that I see your pic, you are definitely the guy I remember from DIV 14. Speaking of DIV, I did it colonial style this time! Post and pics coming later today.
Yep, I told you that you dug right next to me at the last DIV. As for the finds from this weekend, SWEET!!! Can't wait to see them :headbang:

MaineRelic said:
The # of eagle buttons amazes me ! Of course I only find about 2 CW buttone a season way up north here ! MaineRelic
I'll tell you, its almost absurd how many Eagle "A's" there are around here; Lots of coastal artillery and an artillery school are the reason there are so many..

BuckleBoy said:
Nice finds, but a Gentleman always keeps his top button buttoned. :wink: 8)

-Buck

Thanks Will but I'm a Rebel not a Gentleman :laughing7: :laughing7: J/K .... Indeed, that's true for MOST occasions :laughing7: That's how I wear my jacket out in the sun when reenacting; with ONLY the top button buttoned so that air flows all the way around :wink: However, the heat of the bar was TOASTING me so I had to air out ;D :wink:

P.S. I don't know if you saw the other pic above from 2004 with my double breasted frock coat on......but THATS the coat that I actually prefer, and buttoned ALL the way up! ;D I've got a few different jackets for different occasions

ModernMiner said:
{Sentinel} said:
ModernMiner said:
Josh,
-Doug-

Joshmeister,
Here's the book I found that info in about your button.
Now can I have my candy bag back? :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-

Thanks Dougman! ;D I've heard of that book but one that I haven't cracked the pages on...I'll have to take a look at getting a copy

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Ironman! said:
{Sentinel} said:
Ironman! said:
What a great bunch of buttons Josh, WTG! :hello2: Dont ya just love the oddball buttons and old pewter buttons!! I see your catching up with me on the seated count too!!! Nice coin !!!!

Love the uniform!!!!! Which movies? I was in a movie also back in 92'

Larry

Well the biggest that most people would probably know was Gods and Generals (the prequel to Gettysburg). Also in April 1865 (History Channel), The Civil War in Hampton Roads (PBS), The Bloody Angle (Independent Movie), and also in "The Contraband Slave Camps" a very big regional play on Union General Butler's interactions with the Confederates here in Virginia.

Thanks for the info. Josh!

I was a stand-in for Craig Scheffer & D.B. Sweeney for the movie "Fire In The Sky" I was in the town meeting scene along with my wife!

And ya think ya know a guy!!I never knew that I.Man...I mean I knew you were famous and all but geeze!!! :laughing7:
Bet ya didnt know I was in Little House on The Prairie AND Lonesome Dove!!!!

Oh yeah, who'd you play on Lonesome Dove :icon_scratch: You weren't Big Jim were you?? :D

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds guys on the last few hunts Those eagle A buttons are sweet