Second WAX SEAL MATRIX Dug from the Early 18th Century FRENCH COLONIAL SITE!

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the Early 18th Century French Colonial Site for like the 20th time. This site is pretty picked over and it was a very slowww day. I only dug a few small musket balls, a few pieces of small lead shot, a piece of carved lead with hole in it, and a part of a small shoe buckle frame. Im soo glad i didnt give up. Right as the sun was setting, and one of the last holes i dug was what i believe is an early 18th century French Wax Seal Martrix. My buddy dug a nice one at this site a few weeks ago, and i think i finally dug my first one this Saturday. It is .95" long or 24mm. The housing appears to be a pewter like material, and i think it was once part of a ring. The background looks like a colored stone with horizontal lines. The material appears to be etched glass. I really thought it was more modern, but now im starting to believe it could be very old after cleaning the dirt out of the glass, taking pics, and zooming. It appears to have a man sitting on an object, holding some sort of a flower, and he has something on his back. I would love to know more about the design, materials, age/era, and any other information possible. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P5080007.JPG
    P5080007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
  • P5080011.JPG
    P5080011.JPG
    631.4 KB · Views: 184
  • P5080016.JPG
    P5080016.JPG
    778.8 KB · Views: 179
  • P5080017.JPG
    P5080017.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 198
  • P5080018.JPG
    P5080018.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Upvote 17

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exquisite doesn't begin to describe that find.

Looks like st Patrick, banishing the snakes from Ireland? Would fit with the French Catholic Church. Perhaps you've found something traceable...
Congrats!!

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exquisite doesn't begin to describe that find. Looks like st Patrick, banishing the snakes from Ireland? Would fit with the French Catholic Church. Perhaps you've found something traceable... Congrats!!
Thank you Z.K. Its so small i couldnt really make much details out until i got it home. My second guess was snakes, but i was a little unsure about that, so i was thinking maybe long stemmed flowers. If you are right about it being St. Patrick that would make it even neater. I do believe there were Missionaries at this site, due to digging a very nice brass Interlocked AM "Auspice Maria" heart shaped trade ring several months ago. I was really hoping to trace the last seal my buddy found. Would be really cool if i could trace this one.

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I have zero expertise in this area, but I love the find and will be crossing my fingers for a solid ID. Happy for you.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Dig BP. I know someone on here can ID that for you. Kinda looks like DownnDirty to me :laughing7: Glad you're back out digging

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Dig BP. I know someone on here can ID that for you. Kinda looks like DownnDirty to me :laughing7: Glad you're back out digging
Lol TB. Leave it to you... I hope someone here can ID. I sent some emails out this morning, but couldnt wait any longer for a response. So i decided to post to see what others might say. Its good to be back.....

Attachments

• judge05.jpg
    judge05.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 193

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does look like a snake to me. Super cool and unique fin .

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow!!!! That is a thing of beauty! Banner all day everyday in my eyes. I'm dying to dig one. Wait a minute I'm dying to dig anything right now. Congrats buddy on that incredible piece

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow!!!! That is a thing of beauty! Banner all day everyday in my eyes. I'm dying to dig one. Wait a minute I'm dying to dig anything right now. Congrats buddy on that incredible piece
Thank you Ahab. Ive been dying to dig one as well. Im pretty excited about this baby. Still cant believe it. Perseverance pays off. I actually traded my buddy a pinpointer for the other one that was dug at this site. Im hoping to put together a nice display from this colonial site soon. I really like the other one too, but this one is way more special, because it was dug by me, and its my First.. Hopefully you can get out there soon and make some more great finds.

Last edited:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful old seal .You certainly did a great job enlarging the photo so we could see all the detail of your find.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol TB. Leave it to you... I hope someone here can ID. I sent some emails out this morning, but couldnt wait any longer for a response. So i decided to post to see what others might say. Its good to be back.....

Next good find and I'm coming to hunt and you're buying the Shrimp Spaghetti and Beer

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful old seal .You certainly did a great job enlarging the photo so we could see all the detail of your find.
Thanks Thrifty. I took 18 pics and then chose the best 5. Used Irfanview to Crop and sharpen the images. Tried tilting under light at a lot of angles to get those pics to turn out the way they did

Last edited:
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next good find and I'm coming to hunt and you're buying the Shrimp Spaghetti and Beer
Come on down. The Shrimp Spaghetti is always good and the beer is always ice cold. Our sweet tea is pretty good too.!

Attachments

• Picture0508161410_1.jpg
    Picture0508161410_1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the second seal, incredible dig
Thanks VMI. Wish i could say i dug both. My buddy dug the first one. This one was dug by me, and i am real happy with it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome.
I'm like Abe, I'd love to dig one of those, and I would take that much, and be happy, but admit would be happier if complete.
Do you mind telling what state or province your in ?
Sure is a killer site that is still producing. That BTW is the biggest skill of all, finding a good site. Anyone can beep , and dig, even me.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a awesome seal man

Amazing that it held up that well over the yrs

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread