SEF coil for tesoro....How do they perform???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never used one on a Tesoro, but I have 15x18 for my Sov Gt and a 12x15 on one on one of my excals and I love them... Im talking about the SEF Butterfly coils, not the original SEF coil....

OP
OP
tokens70

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Thanks TH, I didnt know there was an original other than the butterfly coil. Learned something new:happysmiley: Anyway, the butterfly coil is the one I mean. Do you see a noticeable increase in depth? Are there areas they dont do so well in (high mineralization, saltwater beach, trashy areas, etc.)?

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely worth every dime. You can increase your gain and depth in normal soil, or discriminate less in highly mineralized. The only downfall is that pinpointing is more difficult than with a concentric, but no so bad once you get used to it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High mineralizationis not an issue, i use mine on saltwater beaches and in the surf i have been very happy with the performance.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman pointed out the most important thing as regards SEF coils and other third party offerings. With no ground balance on a detector your not going to get the best performance. You could open up the detector and adjust the internal trimmer but when swapping back to the stock coil you would need to go through it all again and internal trimmers are not designed to take a lot of adjustments.

I thought that when they introduced them for the Tesoros they were only being sold for the Tejon. Might have changed. Anyway they are a good coil and seem to offer improvement on all the models they have been introduced for. Not just depth where the improvement might be slight but in E.M.I. rejection, sensitivity etc. I only like the 10 x 12 because smaller size, less weight is better for me. A few who have had problems at the start with SEF's is purely down to the fact they run a little hotter so on a detector like a V3 you may need to reduce the sensitivity your using with your old programmes. You still end up ahead of the game. With my T2 the performance improvement is about two inches on a large coin but on very small/thin hammered silver only fractional gains.

The question for those with fixed ground balance machines is would the money be better spent upgrading to the next model up. In most cases I would say this would be the better first move, then add a SEF when you can afford it.

OP
OP
tokens70

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Ok, thanks guys, its good to hear everyones opinion on this:thumb_up:

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I have a Tesoro Tejon, and older Tejon at that. I bought the large SEF searchcoil and had it shipped from Europe. I have used it a few times and have mixed feelings. I primarilly hunt civil war relics and was hoping this would enhance my finds, it did on some occasions. One thing I noticed was that it seemed to react less on iron than my stock coil. The last day I used it I found a nice grape shot using my stock coil that came with my Tejon, I then tried the large coil and found that my iron targets were not there, I had to use the machine with the discriminator set down on iron to pick up iron. Now that may seem like a blessing but not so. My stock coil will pass iron and steel unless it is large then it sounds off with a good target signal and when I toggle to the second discriminator it is still there. I have found numberous cannonball fragments, a small boot pistol, a few gun tools and other neat finds thinking that they were minnies, as the signal was the same. With the SEF coil I did not get that kind of a signal. Now, if you are coin hunting this may be even more of an ideal situation for you, but, do bring along a pinpointer as you will need one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread