Sept 6th treasure story and finds

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Here's my write up from last weekend.

Nate and I discussed our plans for the weekend on Friday night. We decided that the plan was this – sleep in and go detecting somewhere. I got up sometime around 8ish. Had my coffee and breakfast and thought about where to detect. I decided to do a quick “google earth” type of research. The lazy man's way to find sites that are not that old but will still produce silver. :thumbsup: Within 5 minutes I had Plan A, B and C. Turns out we only needed plan A & B.

The first site had a lot of trash. Patience paid off as we found some wheat pennies by these older homes:

Nateatpark.jpg

I found a silver dime and Nate got a silver ring and it was on to Plan B. Plan B (a school built in 1929) turned out to be better. We started in the back but Nate was getting constant overload signals. My Explorer was behaving better and I was finding coins so I kept hunting. Nate went out front. I found a nice 1920's wheat, some quarters and such and then I get the call. Nate tells me he found silver out front.

NatediggingatSchool.jpg

So I make my way out front. What was interesting was someone had detected this place fairly recently because we could see the brown plugs. Not that many (maybe a half dozen or so). We proceed to hunt and find lots of stuff. Really made us wonder about who detected here, what they were using and why they only dug 6-10 plugs. We proceeded to find wheats and silver along with the standard clad. All in all it was a sweet hunt as the ground was soft, the temps were perfect (70's) and it was sunny with a breeze. :icon_sunny: We found 5 silver coins at this site before we called it a day.

mostofthestuffA.jpg

threesilver.jpg

The most interesting part of the hunt came toward the end when a young kid (maybe 8-9) on a bike rode past me and stopped to talk to Nate (why do they always want to talk to the youngin'). They talked for a while and later Nate filled me in on the details of the conversation. This is how I remember the story. You will have to see how Nate writes it up.... Turns out the kid said he always see's guys up here metal detecting. He was asking Nate “very intelligent questions”. The kid says that one time he saw a guy with a pickaxe and he breaks through some wood and there is this gold down there. The guy told the kid it was worth “a thousand dollars”. :icon_pirat: Lastly the kid tells Nate that someone burried a cache in their yard and can't find it so we should come over and detect it. He turned down the offer because Nate noticed he came from the house where we saw all kind of people coming and going as well as heard yelling and screaming. ;D

The rest of the Junk – lot's of lighters!

Junk.jpg

Mostofthestuff.jpg

The last find came with the quick ½ hour hunt after work on the way home hunt. Found about 4 targets . One was a wheat penny and the other was this old Post Toasties “fob”. Pretty cool.

PoastToastiesbeforecleaning.jpg

PostToastiesA.jpg

Bob

Upvote 0

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yo Mirage

From the land of the Bluenose.....that is a good outing with a lot of different finds. Love your Yank mercs as i consider them one of the nicest looking coins there are. Thanks for taking us along for the ride...congrats!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are nice finds Bob.

Older finds been scarce here to this yr. Lot of 40's 50's and 60's finds. I got about 40 indians this yr so far. That's about as old as I am getting this season. Got one LC 1846 and one 2 center. No seateds yet so far. Getting harder to come by.

HH Jer

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mirage and those of you doubting the kid, the next time we're around the site, we can just mosey over across the street and talk to him...and maybe detect his yard this time. I can explain the kid more in my post.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Very nice, Bob!! I'm glad you were able to get some keepers amongst all the trash you dug. That sure is a lot of "lighters"....Wow. :o

I know a lot of people just like to tell wild stories to you while you're detecting. It happens to me all the time. But this kid may be for real....you never know! ::)

Love that Post Toasties FOB too!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
:coffee2: Just woke up and was viewing recent finds when I noticed your post.
An excellent group of finds!Nice silver.Gotta love it.The old fob is my favorite.
All in all it looks like you had a great weekend.Research paid off. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread