Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about asking some many questions but is this wooded area hunt able and/or is this property of the battlefield?
IMG_1011.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old school yard in Shell Beach and there was an old fort across Bayou Tera Buffs on the Shell Beach Rd.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the place my cousin and I went and some time the Rangers would come and watch us. The house was next to the pond and near the river and was moved in to the Domino Sugar Refinery.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Intrigued.....but what's the prison time you're referring to? ....I think the only way I'd go to prison is if I went full-blown Nic Cage and found a "national treasure" and tried to sell it to the Russians........

There is some sort of recurring theme (if you read md'ing forums long enough). That somehow md'rs are at "imminent risk" of prison, arrest, tickets, etc.... for md'ing. But as your surmise: You'd have to try REAL HARD to get in any sort of trouble (beyond a "scram") for md'ing. Despite this supposed risk for ... gasp ... md'ing on federal land, or whatever, yet I'll bet that any such result is for someone night sneaking an obvious sensitive historical monument. Or someone being obnoxious who can't take a warning, etc....

Hence: I give you permission to detect anywhere and everywhere you want. Just mind your P's & Q's and be discreet. If someone says something, you just tell them: "Tom_in_CA said I could". And most of all: I get 30% of all your finds . I accept paypal. Good luck !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Intrigued.....but what's the prison time you're referring to? ....I think the only way I'd go to prison is if I went full-blown Nic Cage and found a "national treasure" and tried to sell it to the Russians........

There is some sort of recurring theme (if you read md'ing forums long enough). That somehow md'rs are at "imminent risk" of prison, arrest, tickets, etc.... For md'ing anything beyond sandboxes. But as your surmise: You'd have to try REAL HARD to get in any sort of trouble (beyond a "scram") for md'ing. Despite this supposed risk for ... gasp ... md'ing on federal land, (or whatever) yet I'll bet that any such result is for someone night sneaking an obvious sensitive historical monument. Or someone being obnoxious who can't take a warning, etc....

Hence: I give you permission to detect anywhere and everywhere you want. Just mind your P's & Q's and be discreet. If someone says something, you just tell them: "Tom_in_CA said I could". And most of all: I get 30% of all your finds . I accept paypal. Good luck !

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom. I had a friend who's father was a park ranger at a Civil War fort, My friend said he had one of the largest personal collections of CW artifacts. Go figure!

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I good news: Today 9/18/17, I read an articular that stated the Trump administration is trying to role back the land grabs of the Democrap administrations and restore our uses of our land to us. There may be a future for Treasure Hunters yet.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom. I had a friend who's father was a park ranger at a Civil War fort, My friend said he had one of the largest personal collections of CW artifacts. Go figure!

And if that ranger thinks he has some sort of "solo in" for ability to hunt such sites, he may be mistaken. Not sure about the CW states, but .... out where I'm at, ... there's not a single sensitive site that hasn't been hunted to death. When I travel, I find that other geographic zones haven't had as much pressure. Ie.: md'rs who are skittish .

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, in one of my post about the old school and fort across the bayou, I was confusing Shell beach with Delacraix Island and the fort was not a fort but a redoubt not sure on the spelling, but it was just a small outpost with a few cannons on the north side of the entrance to a lake. Also Dylan was was working a shrimp boat out of Delacraix Island.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, in one of my post about the old school and fort across the bayou, I was confusing Shell beach with Delacraix Island and the fort was not a fort but a redoubt not sure on the spelling, but it was just a small outpost with a few cannons on the north side of the entrance to a lake. Also Dylan was was working a shrimp boat out of Delacraix Island.

Yeah I figured that because in his song he mentioned Delacroix. I had to take off today from detecting I've been burning myself out. But I'll be back on it tomorrow before it starts raining out this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Katrina, I had a book: Encyclopedia of Forts, Post, Named Camps and Other Military Installations in Louisiana, 1700-1981, by Powell A. Casey, it listed every known military site in the state. I tried to replace it, but $180.00, was the lowest price I could find in used condition. If you live in Louisiana, you may find a copy in a library, if you want that type of information. Also check out this site: http://members.tripod.com/j_richard/18th_history_camps_forts.html

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the late '70s, I put a burglar alarm in a museum curator's house. His attic had enough "stuff" to fill a standard living room. He didn't BUY that stuff. ╦╦Ç

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny, I must say, I have read thru most of these posts and find your info, knowledge and experience very interesting. It was almost as if I was talking to my father. I'm no youngin though at forty-two soon to be forty-three and with ten surgeries under my belt for sticking my nose where it obviously didn't belong, I still want to ask if you have any tid-bits or info about southern Michigan, more specifically Hillsdale area. Hillsdale is an old town and I have just started researching it's history, I do know there was an old CW training ground not to far from me but I believe it is on private property. An exact location I still can't find. Even if you don't have any information, thanks for the good reads and yes I agree, maybe you should write a book on your life, I'd buy it. any how, good luck on you future medical endeavors.

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cj, do you know the name of the camp?

I did read that the reason you "like" posts is so you don't have to read them again..haha, I hope that's not the case here. The area I was referring to is called Lewis Emery park. It's a local fishing spot with multiple ponds that the locals can fish. The following is an excerpt from a local website with history info on the park.

In 1862, after the Union army failed to win a victory in any of the early battles of the Civil War, President Lincoln called for more volunteers for the military. Henry Waldron was charged with finding the soldiers for the 18th Michigan Regiment. Young men, happy to leave the drudgery of farm work and with visions of the glories of war, answered his call. Lewis volunteered the use of his land for training the regiment, and the men went into encampment to learn how to be soldiers. The camp was called Camp Woodbury after Col. Dwight A. Woodbury, who had organized the 4th Michigan. It was located at the top of the hill to the east of the current entrance to Lewis Emery Park.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cj, do you know the name of the camp? "The Pennsylvania-based housing development company S&A Homes has purchased the remains of Camp Letterman. The company plans to build a subdivision on the historical site in the next few years. But in an effort to maintain the historic ground, the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association has asked S&A to spare 17 acres for preservation of the area where the Camp Letterman Field Hospital once stood. The GBPA has already preserved eight acres of the site."

Could not find any maps for the site.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnny, I must say, I have read thru most of these posts and find your info, knowledge and experience very interesting. It was almost as if I was talking to my father. I'm no youngin though at forty-two soon to be forty-three and with ten surgeries under my belt for sticking my nose where it obviously didn't belong, I still want to ask if you have any tid-bits or info about southern Michigan, more specifically Hillsdale area. Hillsdale is an old town and I have just started researching it's history, I do know there was an old CW training ground not to far from me but I believe it is on private property. An exact location I still can't find. Even if you don't have any information, thanks for the good reads and yes I agree, maybe you should write a book on your life, I'd buy it. any how, good luck on you future medical endeavors.
Welcome to T-Net cj74.
While you are researching , keep an eye out for G.A.R. reunions.
They produce a site to check out now and then , and can lead to where local posts were ,that can lead to backtracking members and maybe drop a training history.
With caution, local historical society might have the camp locale recorded somewhere.

Here's a description of the locale.... http://www.hillsdale.net/special/20161028/who-was-lewis-emery
Whistle if you get a hit a few counties north . L.o.l..

Last edited:

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cj, do you know the name of the camp? "The Pennsylvania-based housing development company S&A Homes has purchased the remains of Camp Letterman. The company plans to build a subdivision on the historical site in the next few years. But in an effort to maintain the historic ground, the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association has asked S&A to spare 17 acres for preservation of the area where the Camp Letterman Field Hospital once stood. The GBPA has already preserved eight acres of the site."

Could not find any maps for the site.

As of today, no on any maps. I'm still looking. Am I not seeing the correlation of Camp Letterman and what I'm referring to in Hillsdale?

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cj, the only map pertaining to Woodbury is Chancellorsville, for his position in the battle. Camp Letterman is the name used by the "Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association" trying to save that Civil War site in Hillsdale, Michigan. I may have been the name of the person who donated the property for use in the CW. If you go to the County Clerks Office they may have maps that show the area in question. I know I was surprised the first time I went to a County Clerk's Office. I you go, bring a camera with you.

Releventchair is trying to give you leads you can follow, like the article I posted.

Case closed, it was at Lewis Emery Park on State Street

Thank you one and all for a great night

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread