Serious Treasure Hunters Only

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I have lived in Norwark, Venice, and Hawthorne, the only place I have ever hunted in California was during the time I was a summer student in Sacramento and that was for gold, with a pan or slouch-box. The most gold I ever found was in the Yellow river in Sacramento. I did find some near Folsom, and even in Mississippi. The old saying is true "Gold is where you find it."
I've found color here in CA but found more in the Rich Hill, AZ. area. Most gold in CA came from detecting L A beaches... Manhattan Beach, Seal Beach, Cabrillo Beach (San Pedro) oh, and Heaton Flats area east of L A. My days of filling a sluice box are over. Re-energizing the detectors recently. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mona is actually the name of the female I "rented" on my Taipei R&R. My girlfriend doesn't know.... don't tell her. ╦╦Ç

Hey there 45th-Johnny: I think a little extortion is in order here. Don't you ? Hmmm, $100 to each of us would persuade me to keep quiet. I accept paypal. :hello:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey there 45th-Johnny: I think a little extortion is in order here. Don't you ? Hmmm, $100 to each of us would persuade me to keep quiet. I accept paypal. :hello:
Take a personal check?

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, sorry about that, I would send you a half dime, but I think one of my grand daughters may have spent them on one of those fidget things. I looked and no U.S. coins left. I did find a coin, I think is is copper, about the size of a dime dated 1754, obviously not U.S. When I was googling I saw Val Reese Park at the end of Plaza Drive, I always wanted to check there. It runs next to the Fourth Arpent Canal, one of the routes the British took to Chalmette. It was put there around the late 70's. The Fourty was the farthest Back from the river and connected all of the plantations, as did the Twenty, but the barges were brought to the river or the Fourty. The fourth connected to the bayou and then Lake Bourne. Just a thought, I will check the maps and see. I will try and take a picture on the coin and see if anyone can Identify it for me.

Terry, before I lost my house to Katrina, I had a five gallon bucket of Mississippi black sand, and I would pan some of that, mostly flower, but just to stay in practice. Anyway The checks are in the mail.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, sorry about that, I would send you a half dime, but I think one of my grand daughters may have spent them on one of those fidget things. I looked and no U.S. coins left. I did find a coin, I think is is copper, about the size of a dime dated 1754, obviously not U.S. When I was googling I saw Val Reese Park at the end of Plaza Drive, I always wanted to check there. It runs next to the Fourth Arpent Canal, one of the routes the British took to Chalmette. It was put there around the late 70's. The Fourty was the farthest Back from the river and connected all of the plantations, as did the Twenty, but the barges were brought to the river or the Fourty. The fourth connected to the bayou and then Lake Bourne. Just a thought, I will check the maps and see. I will try and take a picture on the coin and see if anyone can Identify it for me.

Terry, before I lost my house to Katrina, I had a five gallon bucket of Mississippi black sand, and I would pan some of that, mostly flower, but just to stay in practice. Anyway The checks are in the mail.
One of the dry-wash fellows at Rich Hill (I think he was retrieving 1/4 once a day) always kept his black sand. TONS of it! Black sand (in AZ) has gold locked up in it. He would sell the sand to a small operation that worked the gold out. ╦╦Ç

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just let me know Johnny I don't give up easy. Thank you so much for all the time you are taken with me. I will do what it takes to find that sweet spot I dream about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin I found is ½ Duit, not sure where I got it from, there was an Amish Village not far from here, but I haven't swung a M.D. in 13 years.

Tom, I guess I should have sold it.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That park seems to be mostly ball fields. Not sure if I could dig on the fields. IMG_0990.JPG

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....mostly ball fields. Not sure if I could dig on the fields...

I can't think of a single ballfield (or park or any turfed location) where you are going to find powers-that-be who'll say "Sure. You can dig in the turf". Naturally any power that be, when you mention "holes" or "dig", is going to say "no".

Yet a quick look around at the show & tell forums of any md'ing website, will tell you that scores of people are hunting turfed parks. Because as long as you leave no trace of your presence (cover and stomp and fluff up), then technically you haven't altered or defaced anything. Does that mean that every last landscaper or city-hall pencil pusher will "roll out red carpets for you" ? Of course not. Hence the time to do turf is odd-ball times (early mornings, or at night, over-cast low traffic days, etc...).

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't think of a single ballfield (or park or any turfed location) where you are going to find powers-that-be who'll say "Sure. You can dig in the turf". Naturally any power that be, when you mention "holes" or "dig", is going to say "no".

Yet a quick look around at the show & tell forums of any md'ing website, will tell you that scores of people are hunting turfed parks. Because as long as you leave no trace of your presence (cover and stomp and fluff up), then technically you haven't altered or defaced anything. Does that mean that every last landscaper or city-hall pencil pusher will "roll out red carpets for you" ? Of course not. Hence the time to do turf is odd-ball times (early mornings, or at night, over-cast low traffic days, etc...).

Tom you're absolutely right. I'll go at 7am.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom you're absolutely right. I'll go at 7am....

And if any busy-bodies approach, you're looking for the ring your wife lost there. Right ? Heck you can even run a CL "lost" ad, print that out, and presto, you're doing a good deed. You ought to get a medal for your self-sacrifice.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And if any busy-bodies approach, you're looking for the ring your wife lost there. Right ? Heck you can even run a CL "lost" ad, print that out, and presto, you're doing a good deed. You ought to get a medal for your self-sacrifice.

Lol you are one wise "slick" man.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, Did you ever check at The Oaks. You know he British were there Packenham died there. The Union Army was there. There is no way it could have been hunted out. I found a Boy Scout wristwatch with a broken band. That may have been a resent war. The ball-park did not look anything like that the last time I was there, it had a cage and bleachers, and it looks like that tomorrow, I wouldn't take my M/D out of the car. What is wrong with the world, the feds buying up land in the middle of nowhere, people building sporting centers for kids. I played in a vacant lot, the only homer I ever hit was into a picture window. Take up scuba diving.

Break A Leg, Kid

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, Did you ever check at The Oaks. You know he British were there Packenham died there. The Union Army was there. There is no way it could have been hunted out. I found a Boy Scout wristwatch with a broken band. That may have been a resent war. The ball-park did not look anything like that the last time I was there, it had a cage and bleachers, and it looks like that tomorrow, I wouldn't take my M/D out of the car. What is wrong with the world, the feds buying up land in the middle of nowhere, people building sporting centers for kids. I played in a vacant lot, the only homer I ever hit was into a picture window. Take up scuba diving.

Break A Leg, Kid

Yeah Johnny as a matter of fact I went to The Oaks after and I went up the row up trees and down the other side and nothing but trash this time. I'll never give up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, it looks like the only place left in Chalmette is the area between the river and St. Bernard Hwy, the National Cemetery and the old Kaiser plant. I would think the only way in would be on the Kaiser side. There was a C.A. rampart there. Kaiser was in operation and the whole plant was fenced. As far as I know there has never been a M/D in that area. I you can't get in there I will give my next best guess. I grew up with a kid who's family owned the old fort in Chalmette. It was off limits to everyone.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, it looks like the only place left in Chalmette is the area between the river and St. Bernard Hwy, the National Cemetery and the old Kaiser plant. I would think the only way in would be on the Kaiser side. There was a C.A. rampart there. Kaiser was in operation and the whole plant was fenced. As far as I know there has never been a M/D in that area. I you can't get in there I will give my next best guess. I grew up with a kid who's family owned the old fort in Chalmette. It was off limits to everyone.

Hey Johnny when I get home I'm gonna look on Google Earth and see where you're talking about. Yeah it seems like nothing public these days.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the dry-wash fellows at Rich Hill (I think he was retrieving 1/4 once a day) always kept his black sand. TONS of it! Black sand (in AZ) has gold locked up in it. He would sell the sand to a small operation that worked the gold out. ╦╦Ç
No..... may be 1/4 to 1/2 once A MONTH.... sorry to those who ran down to file a claim. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, I really want to make up for the other leads, the benefits of Alzheimer's "You can't remember five minutes ago, but can remember 65 years ago like it was yesterday. I did a Google Map search and it looks good. Between St. Bernard Hwy. on the south, Livingston Dr. on the north, Keane Dr. on the west and Madison Ave. on the east. In 1950, Ringling Brothers set up there Circus was there in the summer. I know because I was too young to go. In 1951, they were in the field across St. Bernard Hwy. from the Chalmette Monument. I do not think either has been checked with a M/D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions