Shark bite

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Another MD'er just alerted me to this story. It was on Channel 9 news. A man got bite by a shark near pier 60 at Clearwater beach yesterday. So I looked it up and sure enough it happened. I wasn't paticularly worried about the waters on the gulf side. I know that they are out there but it is rare that anyone gets bit over here. You hear about this all the time on the East coast but not over here!

http://www.wftv.com/news/19565480/detail.html

Upvote 0

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I saw that story on the local news last night, and it looked kind of fishy to me.

The guy had a small cut on his foot, didn't need or want medical attention, and no one else saw the shark.

I would think that if a a 8 foot shark (that's what he claimed) bit you anywhere, you'd need medical attention.

My guess is he may have got bitten by something, maybe even stepped on glass, but probably didn't get bit by a shark.

Bill (in the water on the gulf)

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
GuerillaBill said:
I saw that story on the local news last night, and it looked kind of fishy to me.

The guy had a small cut on his foot, didn't need or want medical attention, and no one else saw the shark.

I would think that if a a 8 foot shark (that's what he claimed) bit you anywhere, you'd need medical attention.

My guess is he may have got bitten by something, maybe even stepped on glass, but probably didn't get bit by a shark.

Bill (in the water on the gulf)

I just saw another story on it on Channel 13 news a few minutes ago and they are saying that it is not a confirmed shark bite. I am thinking that it was not a shark after all. On the other hand I am sure that the City of CWB would want to play it down since we are in the tourist season. Perhaps he wanted some publisity who knows. Still, I will be a little cautious for a while.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Also the story said he was swimming [ shark bait ]
I don't want to have a run in with a shark but at least i will be no more than waist deep
with a 5 foot metal pipe in hand . Toss the detector , one of you good people
can find it later and return it :laughing9: Thanks Mike

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to destroy your illusion of safety but (1) There are many sharks in close along the Gulf Beaches. Take a helicopter ride (especially over Clearwater Beach), You might decide to stay dry period....lol!!!! (2) It's just as easy to get hit by a shark in Calf deep water as it is in waist deep water.

A few simple rules to remember are:
(1) Stay out of the water when there are a lot of bait fish in the area.
(2) Avoid the water in the very early morning and the late evening. Sharks start coming into shallow water to feed in the evening and begin to go back into deeper water in the early morning. Let the sun get up a bit.
(3) Always be aware of what is going on around you. If suddenly you find yourself surrounded by a swarm of bait fish moving at about Mach 5, stop and look for any shadows that might indicate what is chasing them.

Remember that the Shark really isn't looking for you unless you are making sounds and erratic movements that would indicate that you might be a distressed sea creature (their favorite food). The most important thing of all is not to panic, PANIC KILLS!!!! Should you have an encounter with a shark, keep your eyes on it and slowly back out of the water.

I've taught many people to dive, snorkel, spearfish and MD. Dealing with the many things that can sting, bite, cut and eat you in the ocean and near it is always an important aspect as it will help you to enjoy your hobby more and keep you from becoming a victim.

Deepsix

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen the report also the guy was swimming around a Pier.People fishing ,He was swimming at feeding time,He stated that it was a 5 to 6 foot shark an he said the shark was playing with him .from these parts these sharks do not play.Besides the brother probably had some BBQ sauce on his foot. What a joke! Come on

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Deep six thanx for the advice looks good, am passing it on to neighbors on their way to Flo.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go into the water .There are sharks. you are not shark food.Unless you look like you came out of Bradenton ,Or Sarasota with 3 fist of gold.or have bbq sause on your baby toe.An you happen to fart in the water smelling like well like 3 fist of gold.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I read the report and it said he was swimming 100 yards offshore at night. Come on, that's just a dumb thing to do period.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsix47 said:
I don't want to destroy your illusion of safety but (1) There are many sharks in close along the Gulf Beaches. Take a helicopter ride (especially over Clearwater Beach), You might decide to stay dry period....lol!!!! (2) It's just as east to get hit by a shark in Calf deep water as it is in waist deep water.

A few simple rules to remember are:
(1) Stay out of the water when there are a lot of bait fish in the area.
(2) Avoid the water in the very early morning and the late evening. Sharks start coming into shallow water to feed in the evening and begin to go back into deeper water in the early morning. Let the sun get up a bit.
(3) Always be aware of what is going on around you. If suddenly you find yourself surrounded by a swarm of bait fish moving at about Mach 5, stop and look for any shadows that might indicate what is chasing them.

Remember that the Shark really isn't looking for you unless you are making sounds and erratic movements that would indicate that you might be a distressed sea creature (their favorite food). The most important thing of all is not to panic, PANIC KILLS!!!! Should you have an encounter with a shark, keep your eyes on it and slowly back out of the water.

I've taught many people to dive, snorkel, spearfish and MD. Dealing with the many things that can sting, bite, cut and eat you in the ocean and near it is always an important aspect as it will help you to enjoy your hobby more and keep you from becoming a victim.

Deepsix
Dead on. Sharks do not like MDers. Unless you happen to have there gold :tongue3:.come on peolpe use commend sense.am i the only one seeing the picture.I have been here all my life an i hunt at night in the water most of the time.I have all my toes an fingers ,An my main finger. :hello2:An i have done this by commend sense.watch the moon when hunting at night.Just a heads up.I am not giving any infoe that might give you snow birds any ideas sharks can an will KILL.But there is a time they will an will not.Thats all i am willing to say at this point. :headbang: :headbang:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
COTTON said:
When you go into the water .There are sharks. you are not shark food.Unless you look like you came out of Bradenton ,Or Sarasota with 3 fist of gold.or have bbq sause on your baby toe.An you happen to fart in the water smelling like well like 3 fist of gold.

The green pills don't seem to be working, try the yellow ones. Or maybe a nice relaxing visit...

3_2_7.gif

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was at Clearwater beach 2 weeks ago I saw a 5 1/2 or 6 foot sand shark, who has a tape measure at the time, swim within maybe 6 feet of me. He wasn't after me, he was just swimming by.

The biggest shark I ever caught was off of Clearwater beach, about 100 feet from the beach markers night fishing back in 1985. It was a black tip shark about 5 feet long. My dad didn't want me to pull it into the boat....duh I wonder why.

Everybody that enters the water has to remember we are invading their territory. They just want to eat fish, sometimes our hands and legs get in the way, but we are not on their menus (at least that's what the experts say). I really start to get nervous when I am in the middle of a school of baitfish. Also, when I see the tarpon splashing around at the same area mentioned above, I remember what several have told me, the number one predator for them are large hammer head sharks.

The bull shark seems to be the most dangerous one that we have in the Tampabay area. I've just heard horror stories that I really don't even want to think about.

Just follow common sense like deepsix printed above.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy In Back said:
COTTON said:

The green pills don't seem to be working, try the yellow ones. Or maybe a nice relaxing visit...
Well why dont ya give me your green an yellow pills COWBOY .Better yet hand deliver them sense it will get here much sooner...........COTTON

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cotton said: Dead on. Sharks do not like MDers. Unless you happen to have there gold .come on peolpe use commend sense.am i the only one seeing the picture.I have been here all my life an i hunt at night in the water most of the time.I have all my toes an fingers ,An my main finger. :hello2:An i have done this by commend sense.watch the moon when hunting at night.Just a heads up.I am not giving any infoe that might give you snow birds any ideas sharks can an will KILL.But there is a time they will an will not.Thats all i am willing to say at this point.

Well, what can I say. I guess I should consider yielding to superior experience if not grammar (nah, I don't think so. Been at this to long....lol). Respect for the ocean seems to be sadly lacking in some people. I'm glad that you still have all of your fingers and toes and hope you keep them (they do come in pretty handy occasionally). I've seen first hand how lack of respect for the ocean can ruin a vacation.

I'm familiar with the post that you are referring to concerning the gold (saw your highly intellectual reply to it also). Actually, despite your learned opinions, I've done fairly well on those same beaches also (not as well as they did but not to bad at all) and have even taught a couple of MD classes on them. You and your friends might possibly be doing something wrong. Oops, possibly not. Just possibly I hit it on the right phase of the moon :dontknow: Oh yes, be sure to keep that main finger you are so proud of. It will allow you to signal and identify others of like minded thinking....lol

Have a super day!!!!

Deepsix

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,Im really glad i did not take your MD class.Show me yours an i will show you mine if your 18-25.years of age(hottie )(finds-Gold) an then we see how grammar an sharks fit. You have to be from the south not a San Fan.Cal kinda gal. Which it sounds like you are.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COTTON said:
Yep,Im really glad i did not take your MD class.Show me yours an i will show you mine if your 18-25.years of age(hottie )(finds-Gold) an then we see how grammar an sharks fit. You have to be from the south not a San Fan.Cal kinda gal. Which it sounds like you are.

Well, I'm not really sure what you're talking about here but no matter. Actually I'm kind of an old guy and like my ladies from 25-45. In that range they seem to have a little more intelect and experience and so are more fun. By then they also tend to know what they want in life and are independant enough to go after it.

If you ever see one of our groups out on the beach, feel free to drop by. I'm easy to spot, my Avatar always gives me away. Who knows, you might have something to offer or at the least serve as some kind of example. At any rate, feel free to drop in. We always have a lot of fun and for some reason the girls seem to outnumber the guys. I think the girls might even make better MD'ers. They seem to have more patience and pick up the techniques a little quicker.

You have a super day!!!!

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions