Shark bite

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Another MD'er just alerted me to this story. It was on Channel 9 news. A man got bite by a shark near pier 60 at Clearwater beach yesterday. So I looked it up and sure enough it happened. I wasn't paticularly worried about the waters on the gulf side. I know that they are out there but it is rare that anyone gets bit over here. You hear about this all the time on the East coast but not over here!

http://www.wftv.com/news/19565480/detail.html

Upvote 0

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Capt. J said:
I really start to get nervous when I am in the middle of a school of baitfish. Also, when I see the tarpon splashing around at the same area mentioned above, I remember what several have told me, the number one predator for them are large hammer head sharks.

Check out this video of a hammerhead taking a tarpon!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic video!!!! Kinda says it all. Thanx for posting it.

Deepsix

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Moral of the story:

Don't go metal detecting with a Tarpon in your pocket.

(or a lime green fish)

swimming fish.php.gif

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stitchlips said:
Capt. J said:
I really start to get nervous when I am in the middle of a school of baitfish. Also, when I see the tarpon splashing around at the same area mentioned above, I remember what several have told me, the number one predator for them are large hammer head sharks.

Check out this video of a hammerhead taking a tarpon!

The day that I saw the tarpon (I mean plural so more then one) jumping because something was chasing them all I could think was there was one or more of these little guys after them. I went from neck deep water to knee deep within seconds. I talked with one of the life guards there who told me that they see at least one large shark per day cruising along the beach. Maybe they are looking at eye candy ;D. In reality they are there hunting small fish.

So, to make a long story short, be careful about entering the water before day light. If you see bait fish get out of their way. Use common sense. No gold or silver (or pull tab) is worth a trip to the hospital or worse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions