Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i never called her a liar. i never said her grandfather did not do it. i simply stated i have seen gold like that before. i want to see picture because when people make things on these forums, they tend to post pictures to show them off.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm beginning to think about trying this at the ocean beach where the black sands and -150 gold is concentrated. A sheet or length of burlap soaked in veg. oil, staked down well, and let the incoming tide do the work for me. Yeah, I know my gold cube works but why not let nature do the work for me.
Sounds like a good experiment during a winter storm to me. I'm serious.

Based on what I've read the grease/vegtable oil (crisco) must be completely submerged in water when contact is made. Just about anything will stick to grease/crisco if contact is made while exposed to air.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol I just got my gold cube in the mail, and ran it last night...phenominal!!!!! BUT.....Im already, planning to coat it with vaseline for the microns. Damn....I just dont want to have to burn my cube to recover the fines lol BUT....I know they are in there. Way more than the visible stuff!

Can you put a slick plate where the water exits the cube? I dont think it would be a good idea to coat the whole cube.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I can use google too. i want to see pictures of your GRANDFATHER pond and rig. I sincerly appriciate the descriptions but without pictures of actual use, i cant follow. Also, in other threads we have seen some of the gold casting that chlsbrns has done. im absolutely not calling BS, but i have seen gold "buttons" as posted previously in this thread. the proof is in the pudding... or pictures...

What good is a picture of a pond?

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What good is a picture of a pond?

I requested pictures of the rig he used. The grease coated burlap, the cleaning process never mentioned a pond. But please go ahead and dodge another question or request. Thanks anyways

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
i never called her a liar. i never said her grandfather did not do it. i simply stated i have seen gold like that before. i want to see picture because when people make things on these forums, they tend to post pictures to show them off.

I was not with them when they did it im in NJ they are in the Carolina's. The gold was melted in a crucible. The 9+ oz chunk of gold is probably shaped by the crucible. I can probably get a pic of that?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When will you be satisfied?...When SHE leads you to the tailings pond in question, and shows you the exact procedure?... SHE is extremely intelligent, and has a family history in mining/geology and ya might oughta quit callin b.s. and start callin her truthful lol

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I requested pictures of the rig he used. The grease coated burlap, the cleaning process never mentioned a pond. But please go ahead and dodge another question or request. Thanks anyways

Oh so I should as them to make a rig or take pics of the rigs still in the pond? Just because you cant picture in your mind what I've already told you about the pool noodle, burlap and pvc? I haven't seen what they used but they described it to me as I described it to you and this is what I instantly pictured...

Take a look at this! Imagine a strip of burlap with a pool noodle attached to the top and a piece of pvc at the bottom. Picture how the noodle will float and the pvc at the bottom keeps the bottom of the burlap down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...VChMIxcPdpObyxwIVgng-Ch2YdQxl&biw=960&bih=600

By the way... You never even attempted to answer the simple question that I asked you! My question is the post following...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...1-sheet-stream-catch-gold-10.html#post4674869

Last edited:
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chlsbrns Im starting to think that its a lost cause. Lol YOU have seen the proof, and I have seen the pics from credible sources. They can chase nuggets lol I only want the remaining 90%

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do you anchor and use your sluice after a solid rain?

Yes the gold that stays suspended is to small to see but there is more gold that is to small to see than there is visible gold. Thats why gold mines use froth floatation, cyanidation ect.

What IM saying is that the topic of this thread was how to get suspended gold unattended from water not... why not use a sluice and shovel on dirt.

i build a dam. The sluice is held in place by the dam, question answered. then to use it, i shovel dirt into it.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
i build a dam. The sluice is held in place by the dam, question answered. then to use it, i shovel dirt into it.

i understand what you are saying, but what IM saying is. Sure go get some sheets. then have fun stretching them, anchoring them, keeping them in place after a solid rain, prevent them from getting holes punched in them from sticks, haul them out of the water, clean them etc....

Not trying to say it isnt possible to get float gold, just saying for me personally, it does not sound like its worth the effort for gold you most likely cant even see to begin with. ill stick with a shovel and sluice even at 80% recovery. Ducky out moving on to the next thread, hope it works out!

Do you build the dam before or after a solid rain? It seems like a lot of effort and a waste of time to build a dam before a solid rain that may never happen and even more effort, work and time to build a dam after a solid rain.

i want to see picture because when people make things on these forums, they tend to post pictures to show them off.

Pictures please or even better... a link to where you posted pics that show off your dam!

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dare say you can buy smaller mesh sizes, (numerically higher mesh number). Care to place a wager?
You got me! if you look at the picture I posted earlier. you will see it is a paper from a company that makes screen. The smallest they manufacture is 350 mesh. They do notate on the bottom that there is no mesh 550 or smaller. All numbers at that point down are used for comparison. 550 mesh is the size of a white blood cell. 350 mesh is the lower limit of visibility for the human eye.. Some finishing table claim recovery to 500 mesh!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You got me! if you look at the picture I posted earlier. you will see it is a paper from a company that makes screen. The smallest they manufacture is 350 mesh. They do notate on the bottom that there is no mesh 550 or smaller. All numbers at that point down are used for comparison. 550 mesh is the size of a white blood cell. 350 mesh is the lower limit of visibility for the human eye.. Some finishing table claim recovery to 500 mesh!

Stainless Steel Filter Mesh 1 Micron, Stainless Steel Filter Mesh 1 Micron Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

12,000 mesh is one micron.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Secondly, half of you, WHEN this thing works, I will be LESS than reluctant to share methods with, since, after all its such a joke
Its all sounded like an amazingly simple process. You take a non plastic burlap sheet coat it with Crisco...fish oil some sort of oleo....put in river for a certain amount of time and your gonna get some gold. some rivers have more than others according to some reports and therefore If you will get some of it. I won't tell anyone this should never get out...do you think theres a difference between butter flavor and regular...it could matter

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol I just got my gold cube in the mail, and ran it last night...phenomenal!!!!! BUT.....Im already, planning to coat it with Vaseline for the microns. Damn....I just don't want to have to burn my cube to recover the fines lol BUT....I know they are in there. Way more than the visible stuff!

So, you're going to burn $40 worth of matting to get $1 in gold? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dizzy....ummm, I just dont know how to reply without killing my own brain cells. Hope you find help very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread