Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
He is dizzy because he has a medical condition. this is getting out of control. How old are we?

Here is a dam build after a rain. small stream so low flow despite the water.

Thank you, and as you see i have provided what you asked. It takes me a while to respond because i am a father of 2, a husband of 1, and a son of 2 parents, one of i which i am helping taking care of because of his cancer. If you have a problem with the way people are questioning or responding to you, go find john in Arizona and you two can share your stories.

Sorry DW that video looks like a very slow moving stream that obviously needed to be damed to get enough flow to use the sluice so you didn't give me what I asked for.

It certainly isnt enough flow to...
Make sticks punch holes in burlap.
Maybe you should stick to your sluice as you said and collect 80%. I would like to know how long it takes you to get 9+ oz if you would be so kind!

Johnaz is the man! Is he back?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a good conversation going on here up until members who do not believe chimed in and disrupted.

You do not believe..? Great! You said so now go post about something that you do believe in. No need to constantly disrupt, poke jabs and they report replies.

I can take the criticism without reporting and I can dish it out. I would rather not deal with that kind of crap and discuss the topic at hand.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a good conversation going on here up until members who do not believe chimed in and disrupted.

You do not believe..? Great! You said so now go post about something that you do believe in. No need to constantly disrupt, poke jabs and they report replies.

I can take the criticism without reporting and I can dish it out. I would rather not deal with that kind of crap and discuss the topic at hand.

th.jpg

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Knowing my grandpop as I do im sure he will perfect this method. He will use different substance's on one sheet to see if one works better than another. He will try it in slow moving streams and faster moving rivers. He will perfect it but I would like your ideas on different uses as im sure is reptwar.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know about you all, but if I'm out in nature, and see guys with white sheets and digging tools, I probably ain't sticking around...

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Three sheets to the wind.......

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Reptwar was banned? I must have missed something?
I guess that certain members can throw dirt at the rest of us, disrupt, whine and complain when it gets thrown back and then sit back, gloat and eat popcorn when banned.

I'll contact him off of the forum. Too bad for those who were interested and not just on the thread to ridicule.

You all keep sluicing, shoveling and losing more gold than you get. Me, im going to use an easy proven method.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...1-sheet-stream-catch-gold-11.html#post4676356

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering when this thread would explode!. Ahahaha. The restraint everyone was showing g was impressive but one can only take so much nonsense before they boil over.

Prediction: you end up covered in Vaseline with nothing in your bucket,sheet or whatever the plan is but SILT!

Now that being said. Do what you enjoy. If people didn't expirment things and methods would not be discovered. There will always be naysayers. People always assume a person's motivation is money. So they think tour stupid for doing something like recreational mining that while isn't an expensive hobby by any means let's face it most don't even pay for the gas in there truck. It's done for fun. I didn't see anywhere where you were really thinking you were gonna make a ton of gold or money. You just want to see if it can work. Like maybe you don't get much but you get something....that will lead you to trying to improve the method and for some people this is interesting and fun.

I say carry on. Grease those babies down and toss them in the river. Have fun doing it but just no people are going to laugh including myself haha. But at the end of the day probably get more gold then some of the "armchair" prospectors... not a lot of gold being posted on this forum lately, has anyone noticed? A lot of talking about rules and regs, laws and whatever but does anybody get gold anymore? Maybe it's just me but the forum gotten kinda slow...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reptwar was banned? I must have missed something?
I guess that certain members can throw dirt at the rest of us, disrupt, whine and complain when it gets thrown back and then sit back, gloat and eat popcorn.

I'll contact him off of the forum. Too bad for those who were interested and not just on the thread to ridicule.

Reptwar was put on timeout for ignoring warning to stop the insults and mocking mod. Once mod asks to stop the insults it applies to all, it is not wise to come right back with insults and ignore the warning......

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering when this thread would explode!. Ahahaha. The restraint everyone was showing g was impressive but one can only take so much nonsense before they boil over.

Prediction: you end up covered in Vaseline with nothing in your bucket,sheet or whatever the plan is but SILT!

Now that being said. Do what you enjoy. If people didn't expirment things and methods would not be discovered. There will always be naysayers. People always assume a person's motivation is money. So they think tour stupid for doing something like recreational mining that while isn't an expensive hobby by any means let's face it most don't even pay for the gas in there truck. It's done for fun. I didn't see anywhere where you were really thinking you were gonna make a ton of gold or money. You just want to see if it can work. Like maybe you don't get much but you get something....that will lead you to trying to improve the method and for some people this is interesting and fun.

I say carry on. Grease those babies down and toss them in the river. Have fun doing it but just no people are going to laugh including myself haha. But at the end of the day probably get more gold then some of the "armchair" prospectors... not a lot of gold being posted on this forum lately, has anyone noticed? A lot of talking about rules and regs, laws and whatever but does anybody get gold anymore? Maybe it's just me but the forum gotten kinda slow...

We did it in a tailing pond. Very little expense, very little time, very easy no back breaking shoveling. So after 7 days waiting while 6 sheets of burlap floated in a pond, 3 of the 6 sheets were pulled and contaimed 9+ oz of gold. They will probably pull the other three this coming friday. We are expecting more than 9 oz from the three sheets that are still floating around the pond.

Knowing my grandpop, my uncles, aunts and cousins they are sitting by the pond, chatting, drinking, eating, having fun and talking about numerous methods and locations to use the sheets, while the sheets do the work and collect gold.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may want to read your own links better....headings can throw you off. There is no 12000 mesh available...look at what they actually sell. 1 micron is the size of cryptosporidium. It wouldn't be a mesh it would look like a piece of metal.

Basically what you posted is lost in translation....you can not buy 1 micron mesh!!...MESH TO MICRON CONVERSION CHART
Anything used at the industrial level at sizes smaller then around 400 mesh would be called a filter... having actual knowledge of weave and wire sizes makes it pretty easy to understand why there is no wire mesh that small..I never said there weren't filters that small.FILTERBAG.com About Us

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the people with actually industry experienced were the ones jumped on.... I never said it wouldn't work technically just economically...To say they weren't hoping to do well doesn't seem to jive with the fact that we are being told we will continue to lose more gold than we catch with our proven methods vs. this not new...and previously tried and dropped technique.
Why would you show a slug of gold and claim you were going to get 9+ ounces more if you weren't trying to show how lucrative it would be/ Why would reptwar initially mention the stupendous amounts of gold going by and then get all excited about this magic method....and then get all offended when people who have been around mining for decades chime in with info?
It has literally been said that what we do sucks and this other way is better....add a slick plate a rag to the end of the sluice etc...

Fact is if you did you would not see a marked increase in recovery...If you plopped this thought process and idea down at a table in the Yukon right now you would be laughed out of town......When technical fact based questions arise hairs start to be split...then all of a sudden we are talking about colloidal gold. Like that has anything to do with anything posted....Colloidal gold is a reduction of chlorouric acid. Were talking nano particles....has nothing to do with sheets and fish oil.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
you may want to read your own links better....headings can throw you off. There is no 12000 mesh available...look at what they actually sell. 1 micron is the size of cryptosporidium. It wouldn't be a mesh it would look like a piece of metal.

Basically what you posted is lost in translation....you can not buy 1 micron mesh!!...MESH TO MICRON CONVERSION CHART
Anything used at the industrial level at sizes smaller then around 400 mesh would be called a filter... having actual knowledge of weave and wire sizes makes it pretty easy to understand why there is no wire mesh that small..I never said there weren't filters that small.FILTERBAG.com About Us

So full of it! So much for your knowledge of weave and wire!

So filters made with one micron wire mesh isnt a one micron wire mesh?? Hummm... Ok!

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/stainless-steel-filter-mesh-1-micron.html

One micron mesh screen: 1 Micron Five Ply Sintered Laminate Stainless Steel Filter Mesh Type 316L Wide Screen

5 micron/2500 mesh: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/stainlessmesh.php

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A laminate multi layered screen is a 1 micron filter yes!!!....that doesn't make it a 1 micron mesh screen.... I know what your getting at... My point in bringing up mesh sizes and stating that there was no actual mesh....meaning woven wire single layer screen is correct.... If you read what I said I stated that there is 1 micron filtration...and that if you literall wanted a screen that small it would be labed a filter..... Yes there are metal filters engineered to make a 1 micron Mesh equivalent....however there is no single layer wire woven mesh with a wire to wire opening of one micron..one millionth of a mm....

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
A laminate multi layered screen is a 1 micron filter yes!!!....that doesn't make it a 1 micron mesh screen.... I know what your getting at... My point in bringing up mesh sizes and stating that there was no actual mesh....meaning woven wire single layer screen is correct.... If you read what I said I stated that there is 1 micron filtration...and that if you literall wanted a screen that small it would be labed a filter..... Yes there are metal filters engineered to make a 1 micron Mesh equivalent....however there is no single layer wire woven mesh with a wire to wire opening of one micron..one millionth of a mm....

Whatever! Im not going to waste my time trying to get you to comprehend what I have already posted, links to wire mesh that is smaller than the 400 mesh that you claim to be the smallest mesh size.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 1442162155840.jpg
    1442162155840.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 76
Status