Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Wow that is fascinating. Who knew that one of the worlds oldest foods could harvest a pit that (under the correct scientific circumstances) could recover Au ions straight from the water. Pretty interesting read, although i did not finish it.... im at work...

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
(link removed by mod-- no links to other treasure forums)

I don't think that links to other forums are allowed but coconut carbon requires a long contact time and isn't suitable for unattended recovery.

The other links have nothing to do with the topic of this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is great.... Scroll down for Chris Ralphs post!!....(link removed by mod-- no links to other treasure forums)

The only thing I was "wrong" about was mesh and availability.......

You can not recover gold in river water economically!....its been tried....and the solution isn't a sheet or a sheet with oil on it...This thread went from fleece to metalzorb and a pipe to burlap and Crisco...with potentially 19 oz of gold recovered in less than a week...ok

If anyone knows what he's talking about its Chris Ralph....anyone who is reading this and really wants to know about the possible or worth it read the link.

I never insulted you or called you stupid chrls. Forums/threads are for the sharing of information I have provided way more than you have...keep insulting me and the other guys all you want it doesn't change facts!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
This one is great.... Scroll down for Chris Ralphs post!!....(link removed by mod-- no links to other treasure forums)

The only thing I was "wrong" about was mesh and availability.......(link removed by mod-- no links to other treasure forums)

You can not recover gold in river water economically!....its been tried....and the solution isn't a sheet or a sheet with oil on it...This thread went from fleece to metalzorb and a pipe to burlap and Crisco...with potentially 19 oz of gold recovered in less than a week...ok

If anyone knows what he's talking about its Chris Ralph....anyone who is reading this and really wants to know about the possible or worth it read the link.

I never insulted you or called you stupid chrls. Forums/threads are for the sharing of information I have provided way more than you have...keep insulting me and the other guys all you want it doesn't change facts!

He basically said the same thing that I said in my last post. That the use of carbon wont work.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not what he said.....omg this is great :laughing7:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not what he said.....omg this is great :laughing7:

You are right! Someone else suggested that the guy was using carbon.

Your Expert Chris said:

The Nevada Bureau of Mines publishes a great document called:
"Gold From Water and Other Mining Scams" - I highly recommend it, its well worth reading.
See: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/sp22.pdf
An applicable quote from this pamphlet -
"Traditional wisdom would suggest that one cannot obtain gold from water. This is not entirely true. Water, like other natural substances, contains at least trace amounts of all of the elements found on Earth, including gold. The critical point is that, given current technology, one cannot extract gold profitably from seawater or most other water because the concentration of gold is very small (it has been tried repeatedly, notably by the Germans during World War I to help fund their war machine, unsuccessfully, of course). Very large volumes of water would have to be processed to recover a small amount of gold. . It has always cost more to process the water than the value of gold in that water. The more water we process, the more money we lose. . If one could find a reservoir of water somewhere that, for some reason, had a much higher concentration of gold than normal, we could indeed make money by extracting gold from water (this is exactly what some promoters try to sell to unwitting investors). "

Being that dropping a burlap coated sheet into a waterway costs practially nothing and the fact that leaving it in the water for a period of time will allow it to come in contact with lots of water/suspended gold kind of proves what I said! THANKS!

Oh... The part about water with high concentrations is great! Its what we used! A tailing pond!

Thanks for help proving what I have been saying even though you thought that you were doing the opposite!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao!!! I almost sheet myself

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...Read how many times I have said it is possible.... I never said it wasny....and I mentioned how rich grandpa's pond was vs. River water...so it is not a viable comparison......I never ever ever.....said that you wouldn't catch gold... I said you wouldn't do it economically

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right! Someone else suggested that the guy was using carbon.

Your Expert Chris said:

The Nevada Bureau of Mines publishes a great document called:
"Gold From Water and Other Mining Scams" - I highly recommend it, its well worth reading.
See: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/sp22.pdf
An applicable quote from this pamphlet -
"Traditional wisdom would suggest that one cannot obtain gold from water. This is not entirely true. Water, like other natural substances, contains at least trace amounts of all of the elements found on Earth, including gold. The critical point is that, given current technology, one cannot extract gold profitably from seawater or most other water because the concentration of gold is very small (it has been tried repeatedly, notably by the Germans during World War I to help fund their war machine, unsuccessfully, of course). Very large volumes of water would have to be processed to recover a small amount of gold. It has always cost more to process the water than the value of gold in that water. The more water we process, the more money we lose. . If one could find a reservoir of water somewhere that, for some reason, had a much higher concentration of gold than normal, we could indeed make money by extracting gold from water (this is exactly what some promoters try to sell to unwitting investors) . "

That is a quote from the Nevada Bureau of Mines - not from Chris Ralph.

Chris Ralph is a personal friend of mine. He is also a mining engineer with a degree from the Mackay School of Mines - one of the best and most respected Mining Universities in the world. He owns and operates several productive mines. He is the Associate Editor of the ICMJ Mining Journal and one of the most respected writers in the mining industry. He's a really nice knowledgable man and a good friend to real miners.

Here are Chris's actual comments on the subject. I think they would apply equally here.

I've been called in to review at least a dozen mining scam cases, and as no one is paying me to take a look at this one, I don't think I will spend any time on it.

Heavy Bedsheets :laughing7:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would be better off with a toy sluice in a stream. Proven producer.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a quote from the Nevada Bureau of Mines - not from Chris Ralph.

Chris Ralph is a personal friend of mine. He is also a mining engineer with a degree from the Mackay School of Mines - one of the best and most respected Mining Universities in the world. He owns and operates several productive mines. He is the Associate Editor of the ICMJ Mining Journal and one of the most respected writers in the mining industry. He's a really nice knowledgable man and a good friend to real miners.

Here are Chris's actual comments on the subject. I think they would apply equally here.

Heavy Bedsheets :laughing7:

Your buddy Chris quoted it in his post.

I think a scam would involve the selling of something for money. We aren't selling anything only letting others know what we did, how we did it and the results.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm adding that nine to your proposed next and better clean up....figured you would get that

9+9=18 not 19!

You said in one week. We got 9+ oz in one week not 19. The other three sheets will be in for two weeks.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...this is fun u said you got nine and the next a should have more...your technique works so you should have more.... I was being generous for your sake...6our welcome. .... And I didn't mean the amount of time worked... I was referring to timespan on this thread..... I didn't actually count the days...from your statement to now.....you are showing huge return to prove a point
.... no one ever said you were selling anything. ....it does prove my point that you will not be economically recovering gold from river water with a greasy sheet....

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You would be better off with a toy sluice in a stream. Proven producer.

A sluice is a proven loser of super fine gold. The 9+oz that we got from the sheets was what blew off the end of a sluice multiple times. Do me a favor, let me know when you and your proven producer gets 9oz in a week.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol...this is fun u said you got nine and the next a should have more...your technique works so you should have more.... I was being generous for your sake...6our welcome. .... And I didn't mean the amount of time worked... I was referring to timespan on this thread..... I didn't actually count the days...from your statement to now.....you are showing huge return to prove a point
.... no one ever said you were selling anything. ....it does prove my point that you will not be economically recovering gold from river water with a greasy sheet....

I'll know friday or saturday how well a few streams (not rivers) produce. My uncle's put a few smaller sheets in streams before culverts. They hung them from bridges with string! If they get a few specks like I see posted from sluicers it will have been economically productive. Being that they got some rain I think they will get more than a few specks meaning it will be profitable!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unless it fits inside the zero on the 1940, I throw it back. 2015-09-14 09.45.30.jpg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll know friday or saturday how well a few streams (not rivers) produce. My uncle's put a few smaller sheets in streams before culverts. They hung them from bridges with string! If they get a few specks like I see posted from sluicers it will have been economically productive. Being that they got some rain I think they will get more than a few specks meaning it will be profitable!

Why do you insist on the personal jabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread