Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say all we find is specks...in my opinion you have know way of knowing what we find....pictures people post is not what I find..... I don't really post what I find for security reasons......and we dont rwally produce on the claim until we have water in the creek. Summers for me are kids out of school and river time sampling and prospecting for good places to snipe Way more time in the summer with a pan and screwdriver keeping cool...wet season it's yards a day..pretty common where I'm at..lack of gold pictures doesnt mean i/we don't find gold. And make a living doing it....when you say we sluicers are only finding specks I know exactly what your saying and it is offensive because your calling me a liar basically. OR insinuating that we are amateurs....or even that our take was obviously worth making fun of because that's what your doing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
End the arguing or a mod will....

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible is it feasible? Yes it is possible but feasible no. I saw a show on either discovery or nat. geo. that talked about soluble minerals in general, according to some of the master mines you can do it but it is not feasible due to the vast amounts of material [ie-water] that has to be processed and the cost. So that to t being said, if you want to float oily sheets in a river go for it. Just do us a favor show some pictures. Myself Id' like to see it. Hell if was that easy I got a river to play in.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it possible is it feasible? Yes it is possible but feasible no. I saw a show on either discovery or nat. geo. that talked about soluble minerals in general, according to some of the master mines you can do it but it is not feasible due to the vast amounts of material [ie-water] that has to be processed and the cost. So that to t being said, if you want to float oily sheets in a river go for it. Just do us a favor show some pictures. Myself Id' like to see it. Hell if was that easy I got a river to play in.

Other things that people try involve the use of a pump to pump the water. Pumps use fuel.

Would I use a pump to pump water over a slick plate or something coated to get the gold? NO!

If you put a coated sheet in a stream for a week and are not happy with the amount of gold then you leave it in for a longer period of time. It cost you the same to leave it in for a week or a month. The longer it's in the more water it comes in contact with.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right! Someone else suggested that the guy was using carbon.

Your Expert Chris said:

The Nevada Bureau of Mines publishes a great document called:
"Gold From Water and Other Mining Scams" - I highly recommend it, its well worth reading.
See: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/sp22.pdf
An applicable quote from this pamphlet -
[snip]"Water, like other natural substances, contains at least trace amounts of all of the elements found on Earth, including gold. The critical point is that, given current technology, one cannot extract gold profitably from seawater or most other water because the concentration of gold is very small (it has been tried repeatedly, notably by the Germans during World War I to help fund their war machine, unsuccessfully, of course). Very large volumes of water would have to be processed to recover a small amount of gold.
[snip]

Nevada Bureau of Mines should check their facts. Germany did not try to extract gold from water in WWI. After WWI, in the 1920's Nobel Prize winner Fritz Haber used his personal fortune (gotten from selling his patent for the catalyst in the Haber process to BASF; 1 pfennig per kg ammonia they produced) to try to extract gold from sea water in order to repay the war reparations demanded by the Allies after WWI. He could not get it to work.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you guys dislike this idea so much why is it that you like making comments?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 1442254303929.jpg
    1442254303929.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 79

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was going back and re-reading this thread just to see if there was anything i missed to maybe change my mind on the whole thing. now i see things missing from the thread that were previously there. posts and pictures alike? anyone else having trouble, or maybe my browser?

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not disliking it, curiosity? I would just like to see someone's science project work be succesfull! See the results.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A member's replies that contained links to other forums were removed, no pictures were removed..

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not disliking it, curiosity? I would just like to see someone's science project work be succesfull! See the results.

Yes, pictures of setup and results would be nice. Folks are skeptical, but that is natural because this method has not been used successfully (by that I mean economically) in the past. Hence the requests for pictures. I was once a consulting chemist for a reverse osmosis project that tried to extract heavy metals from heavily polluted water (similar to what hit the Las Animas) last month.

We were not successful with micron filters. I would like to see something like this be successful; it would be very useful for concentrated ponds/mines waste. Part of the problem, I think, is the confusion over particle gold vs ionic gold. They are not the same and do not act the same. Without some testing, I am not sure we can declare the gold in the pond in the Carolinas to be ionic or particle; or a mixture of both.

So, yes, there is skeptical interest. I might try to see if we can get some research interest in it here; has anyone done any testing on the pond to determine what is actually in it (ionic, particle, conc, types of metals other than gold, etc)?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
i was going back and re-reading this thread just to see if there was anything i missed to maybe change my mind on the whole thing. now i see things missing from the thread that were previously there. posts and pictures alike? anyone else having trouble, or maybe my browser?

I deleted a lot of informational posts because im sick of being bashed and wondering why im trying to help people who don't want help.
There are so many posts about getting gold that is either hard or impossible to get but when an idea is tried and proven to work you get bashed so why bother?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, pictures of setup and results would be nice. Folks are skeptical, but that is natural because this method has not been used successfully (by that I mean economically) in the past. Hence the requests for pictures. I was once a consulting chemist for a reverse osmosis project that tried to extract heavy metals from heavily polluted water (similar to what hit the Las Animas) last month.

We were not successful with micron filters. I would like to see something like this be successful; it would be very useful for concentrated ponds/mines waste. Part of the problem, I think, is the confusion over particle gold vs ionic gold. They are not the same and do not act the same. Without some testing, I am not sure we can declare the gold in the pond in the Carolinas to be ionic or particle; or a mixture of both.

So, yes, there is skeptical interest. I might try to see if we can get some research interest in it here; has anyone done any testing on the pond to determine what is actually in it (ionic, particle, conc, types of metals other than gold, etc)?

See this is what im talking about! Now the non stop topic will be that its not economically feasible. Anything and everything to scrutinise and criticize.

As I said they did put sheets in streams to see what could be obtained from a source that is not concentrated like the tailing pond but dont wait for results start bashing!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
See this is what im talking about! Now the non stop topic will be that its not economically feasible. Anything and everything to scrutinise and criticize.

As I said they did put sheets in streams to see what could be obtained from a source that is not concentrated like the tailing pond but dont wait for results start bashing!

We got 9+ oz from the tailing pond in a week and he posts that its not feasible?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deleted a lot of informational posts because im sick of being bashed and wondering why im trying to help people who don't want help.
There are so many posts about getting gold that is either hard or impossible to get but when an idea is tried and proven to work you get bashed so why bother?

Someone saying it isn't possible isn't bashing, you know they are wrong , just ignore them....

If someone disagrees with a method it does not violate the rules to politely says so, but constantly badgering someone over a method does so it needs to stop.......

Also any that are unaware it is really not advisable to ignore mod warnings.....

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone saying it isn't possible isn't bashing, you know they are wrong , just ignore them....

If someone disagrees with a method it does not violate the rules to politely says so, but constantly badgering someone over a method does so it needs to stop.......

Also any that are unaware it is really not advisable to ignore mod warnings.....

The problem is that the same few are relentless! Something so easy to try yourself with little to no expense. We had no one to show pictures, or scientific analysis of water, or directions, we just soaked burlap in fish oil, wringed it out, made one side float, weighed down the opposite end and let it float around for a week. Whats to understand?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ineresting with the couple patents there are and that I could read up on. They have moving belts to scrape material and a roller to reapply grease for constant contact with the ore. That is what they were designed for not Ionic gold. They do mention that it didn't make an improvement over frothing for recovery. Which is why it didn't take off as a working unit I suppose. I would figure that at some point you would have to worry about all the grease having something stuck to it there fore less efficient....

JUST AN OBSERVATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread