Should I buy the bag of Ikes??

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
Stopped in to a bank yesterday and they sold me a $500 canvas bag of halves that produced 6x40%ers. They also said they had $1,865 of dollar coins in the vault, of which $865 were "the big ones".

Has anyone had any luck finding silver (proofs) in bags of Ikes? Or maybe a few Peace/Morgans mixed in with the Ikes? I have the $$$ to pick it up, I'm just thinking it would be a pain in the a$$ to dump that many Ikes if there is nothing good in the bag!!

Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas...thanks!

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it, never know till you crack open the bag. Dumping isnt has hard as you think. Just take back $200 a time to your various dump banks. They will love you for it. Also, report back what you find.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chow said:
Has anyone had any luck finding silver (proofs) in bags of Ikes? Or maybe a few Peace/Morgans mixed in with the Ikes?
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!

It has been almost two years so I can't remember all the details but one of my banks had a bag of big ones and really wanted to get rid of them. (close to $1000) Because of the $$$ value I insisted on counting them but they wanted to be paid first. A very small bank with a dining room table in the corner next to the teller. I pulled out every dollar and put in piles of ten and I think it was $100 short. I was being watched all the time so I was not worried. I called over the teller and she called over her boss who called over the vault teller. It took 15 min but I got my cash back.

P.S. also got 1 morgan & 1 peace if I remember correctly.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Yes of course it is worth it. You can only win unless for some reason the bag is short. There could be silver mixed in and the canvas bags come in handy for hauling coin. Do it.

Golden Silver

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I did it a while back. Nothing other than ikes, but one was silver I think. Maybe the 76? I filled up my album with the best of the lot and still have the rest waiting to dump.

Iheartmoney

Apr 4, 2010
Do not put your dump coins in the machine. THEY WILL NOT BE COUNTED. I did this with 84 of them and they had to open the coin machine to get them out.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Do it i bought 100 dollars two weeks ago and found a 1922 peace dollar made my day. HH RON

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a morgan dollar in a roll when I bought 2 rolls or large dollars earlier in the year, so u never know man. I'd buy them. There are some valuable errors in the 1972 ike also, one of which is worth about $150. Research on the 1972 high relief Ike's, you'll see

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
do it!!! ive only found like a grand total of 15-20 ikes from asking at banks.....they r rare in them selves, and some dealers pay $1.10-$1.90 per coin! also, the chance of silver??? go for it!!!
keep it up and hh!
(PS good luck on finding goodies!)

OP
OP
chow

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
OK - went and picked it up and they only had $685 in Ikes, not $865 like I originally heard. There was no silver in the bunch :( I was really hoping to find my first Peace or Morgan in the wild, but not this time.

I will go through them and pull all of the 72's to look for Variety II's and all the 73's (clad not released for circulation, sold in sets only)...

Carpe argentum - sieze the silver!!!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Look for 1973's as well. Keep in mind you could sell the whole lot on ebay for a decent profit.

Golden Silver

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
golden silver said:
Keep in mind you could sell the whole lot on ebay for a decent profit.

Really, but they're so heavy to ship. People will pay a premium for just a lot of Ike's? I've got nearly 1000 that I just haven't dumped.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Flat rate shipping boxes. If it fits it ships for one low price. No matter the weight. It is a great thing.

Golden silver

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did a completed listings search for Eisenhower dollars on Ebay. It looks like lots are getting about 18-25% over face plus shipping. Not bad.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Golden Silver 100%. You never know until you try. And, as another poster stated, it won't be that hard to dump them. Its not that often you will have this opportunity. I would certainly go for it.

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread