Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I posted this in the metal detecting forum and only got one response, hopefully more of the braintrust will help me here. I hunt strictly on the beach, and strictly dry sand. I would rather find an old Spanish ships spike than a diamond necklace (i.e. I'm all about history, not money). I have been using an old (1973) Bounty Hunter I. Yes, I dig everything. In the opinion of the braintrust, would upgrading to a Fisher F2 or Garrett Ace 250 be worth the investment? I cannot afford a dedicated beach machine like the Tesoro Sand Shark.

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as I was satisified with the metal detector I was using and could use it effectively, I would continue using what I had.
I would wait till either that detector fails or I had sufficient money to purchase a detector that was far more capable.

As the detectors you are considering are also balanced induction metal detector operating in the VLF frequency band
at the same power level controlled by the FCC at a slightly different frequency, they would also operate satisfactorily on dry sand.

The main differences in these detectors would be in their capability to discriminate which does not matter as you are a dig it all type anyway.
I would hold off till I could afford a more capable detectors such as the Garret AT Pro, an All Terrain detector, which in my
opinion offers a lot for the price.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my f2 down at north myrtle and was having ghosting issues even on the dry sand...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The link leads to the Silver µMax

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From what I'm reading here on this forum and hearing elsewhere, I think I'm going to stick with my 40 year old BH I. In dry sand it finds dimes at 4", and I haven't ever had a problem with it. I dig everything, so a discriminator is unnecessary for me.

If I ever decide to get my feet wet and search the shallow surf, then I will look into a Sand Shark. But as long as I'm searching dry sand, I can't justify upgrading to an Ace 250 or an F2.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have a 250 and I was really happy with it wheb I took it to the beach. I dug everything but I could tell you with certainty when it was a bottle cap (my wife uses them for craft).

-as for stability I don't know your beach conditions but I was able to use it in the wet sand and water. I discriminated the first 3 notches so iron, foil, and just below Nickle. One of the times I pulled a penny out of about 3" of water 7" deep on the sand. I am using a nel coil though.

-not knowing what bh you have I couldn't tell you the difference in features or screen readout.

-there is a good thing that I can see with going with the 250 is that you have the option to get a large coil to cover more ground. I was using a 13x14 dd coil and I was covering a ton of ground each time.

I would say if your not needing a shinny new one fresh out of the box and just looking for a newer detector look at buying one used. You could probably find one for $150-$175. And I know you can get a 8.5"x11" dd coil to cover more ground if you wanted for about $100.

As for stock coil I get dimes and nickels 7" penny's at around 8" coppers slightly more. And quarters are just shy of 10"

Id say if you made the bh last this long why not upgrade because you would have this detector for many years also.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What's the weight of that bad boy? It LOOKS heavy.

LOL - it is, and I have the forearms to show for it. Built like a tank, that's why its still humming after 40 years.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!
That is really something.
I would think that it would be worth some money as a collectable.
You might be able to get enough for it from the right person to buy an AT Pro or better.
Thank you for sharing.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Looks a lot like my White's Coinmaster from the 1970's except it was a blue color. Took 14 AA batteries.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow!
That is really something.
I would think that it would be worth some money as a collectable.
You might be able to get enough for it from the right person to buy an AT Pro or better.
Thank you for sharing.

It was a 12th birthday present from my Dad. He paid $60 for it, and that was a lot of money in 1973. Been using it ever since. I wouldn't trade it for a brand new Minelab, too much sentimental value. But I am thinking about getting a Tesoro Sand Shark so I can search shallow water.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got my tax refund today and went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new Sand Shark. Next time I hit the beach I can get my feet wet.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Move...Congrads on the upgrade...

Trevset

Mar 19, 2014
Congrats. I'm sure you will definately enjoy the difference in weight when you go out hunting for the first time.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sand Shark arrived yesterday. I just put it together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread