Sidewalk tear-out yields a beautiful seated half dollar!

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Tuesday afternoon I needed to fill my truck up with gas due to a long drive for work the following day which was to begin at 6:00 AM. On my way home from the gas station, just two blocks from my house, I noticed a rather substantial sidewalk tear-out with a lot of dirt exposed and the workers were gone for the day. I drove home, packed up my car with a bunch of cable and speaker wire I needed to deliver to Santa Rosa the next day, went upstairs and texted Stay-Detuned telling him about the tear-out and that I was gonna hit it.

I headed up the street, surveyed the situation and snapped this photo from the top of the hill. In addition to the long stretch at the top of the hill, there were random squares of concrete torn out and covered with plywood half way down the block.

Sidewalk top1.jpg

After snapping the photo I turned on my detector, hit the Noise Cancel and waited. There was so much electrical interference at the top of the hill I had to turn the sensitivity down to 5. I manually scanned all the channels and found the one producing mostly lower tones with the interference. I started swinging the detector and was not having any luck with all the noise. I switched to Ferrous mode and opened her up and it was also not working well. Still, I struggled on, moving barricades, cones, plywood and other stuff the workers had put up.

As I made my way down the hill I was slowly able to increase the sensitivity. About midway down the hill I was hunting with sensitivity cranked up to 10 and there were some target showing up, but mostly sweet sounding iron. I was getting frustrated as this hunt was turning out to be like my last 4 sidewalk excursions: lots of electrical interference and iron targets.

I was getting to the bottom of the hill and there was one more square down there that had a cone and a sign in the dirt. I almost didn't hit it because it was getting late and I had to get up so early the next day. I figured "what the heck" and I moved the sign and the cone, cranked the sensitivity up a notch or two and started swinging. Right away I hit a fairly good signal but it was nulling out and only reading well from one particular angle. I switched to my probe and cranked the sensitivity up to about 18 and tried to zero in on the target. It sounded a lot better with the probe. I started pulling the loose dirt away with my hands, worked the probe one more time, pinpointing the target. I pulled out the Lesche, popped up about 4 inches of dirt, and there it was: a silver half dollar, fully encrusted in dirt and sand. I didn't dare wipe the coin and I couldn't see a date.

sidewalkup2.jpg
seatedsidewalklocation3.jpg
seatedclose hole4.jpg

The only thing I could see on the date was the last digit was a 6 and I thought maybe '06, but I put it in my pocket and hunted on. I strip mined that square and pulled crazy shaped iron from all around where the coin was. I decided to work my way back up the hill and try again, but I had no further luck.

When I got home, I took the coin and put it in a coffee cup and filled it with hot water and let it sit for 15 of the longest minutes of my life. From what I could see on the back, the rim looked like it had amazing detail but I didn't want to get my hopes up. After letting the coin soak I rinsed it under running warm water and the dirt fell away. It was a 1876-S Seated Half Dollar and the coin was crisp!

The front of the coin looked like it had a big stain on it running from the side of Liberty's shoulder across to the other forearm and beyond, and then from the knee down to the foot. There was some more of this stuff along the lower rim by the date. As I examined the coin under a loupe, I could see that the stain was actually some crud stuck on the coin. It was like a greasy sticky substance. I wasn't sure what to do.

1876-S OBV dirty5.jpg

On the other hand, the reverse of the coin was absolutely stunning with no stains and hardly a mark on it! I snapped a few photos that night. I sent a few people some teaser pictures of the reverse right away. I wasn't sure if I should try to clean the gunk off the front or not.

1876-S rev dirty6.jpg

Although I had to get up at 4:00 the next morning I was on cloud nine! I was trading emails with Turf-aholic, Stay_Detuned and Captain_Fi. I didn't make it to bed until midnight.

The next morning I was on the road at 6:00. I kept thinking about whether I should clean the coin. I had checked the values and although it might be worth $100-300 bucks I certainly wasn't going to sell it. The more I thought about it, I decided that I would rather look at a cleaner version of the coin for the rest of my life. I was also a bit concerned that whatever was on it might continue to damage the coin if I left it on there.

I finally got home after work (and a short side trip doing some detecting in Sonoma), and decided to clean her up. I got most of the crud off which revealed some pitting on the coin down low by the date. There are a couple of small black marks still on the coin which I will leave there as a reminder. In the process I did put a little more shine and polish on the obverse of the coin than I would prefer, but I am happy with the overall result. I never touched the reverse of the coin with anything other than some water and a soft toothbrush. In my eyes the reverse is about as perfect as one can expect for a found coin.

Here are pictures of the coin after I removed the stains on the obverse. I finally snapped some photos today with some natural ambient daylight.
I know that some of you will criticize me for cleaning the coin, but in this circumstance I thought it the best course of action.

New Obverse.jpg
1876-S rev10.jpg

In the very final photo I manipulated the image to show the flaws on the obverse. I increased the contrast by 100%, converted the photo to black and white and adjusted the brightness down a few notches. The dark area on the right forearm is a shadow, not damage. You can see the pitting down by the date area.

1876-S damage exagerated.jpg

So that's it! My best coin find ever, and renewed faith in hitting the sidewalks!

One final note, I went back there this morning and some workers were there getting ready to remove their stuff. The concrete had been poured yesterday. The sidewalk was only exposed for maybe 16 hours!

Sidewalk paved12.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as always,

Happy Hunting!!

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Beautiful Silver :o
I know how difficult those tearouts are to work with.
you deserve that absolute Beauty for toughing it out.
How many people asked you silly questions ? :laughing9:

mj-air23

Oct 29, 2007
Jamestown, ND
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Tesoro Stingray II
Awesome seated half! Who would have thought something that beautiful would have been hiding down in the dirt? Great find!

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steelheadwill said:

If you look at the photos, you can see that there is a huge apartment building on the corner stretching more than halfway down the block. There is an access entrance on the side of the building where there is a sign indicating video surveillance. When I was working that area, the door popped open and a woman came out and she asked me, "Can I help you?" I said, "No, I'm just fine." After a quick read on her expression I realized that would not suffice, so I told her I was metal detecting and looking for old coins. She thought I was looking for a gas leak. I chatted her up for a bit more to calm her fears. By the end of the encounter I'm pretty sure she thought I was crazy but harmless which is the impression I like to leave.

I found the coin not ten minutes later. I would have loved to show it to her to show her I wasn't crazy... or at least not as crazy as she might have thought I was!

Whenever I do a sidewalk tear-out people ask me what I am doing. Many ask if I am looking for a gas leak. I always tell them I am looking for old coins and most shake their heads and move on. Since this is the first time I have found an old coin on a sidewalk tear-out during my short metal detecting career, I know that I am not as crazy as most people think I am. Heck, I started to think I was crazy until I found this beauty!

Thanks again for all of the great comments. It was a thrill to exhume this beauty from her cemented grave! ;D

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning find Mr Larry. The detail is fresh as can be.
That would make anyone's day (week).
Did you notice the 8 appears slightly higher than the 1 and 7?

:thumbsup:
C-dad

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
mr_larry said:
steelheadwill said:

If you look at the photos, you can see that there is a huge apartment building on the corner stretching more than halfway down the block. There is an access entrance on the side of the building where there is a sign indicating video surveillance. When I was working that area, the door popped open and a woman came out and she asked me, "Can I help you?" I said, "No, I'm just fine." After a quick read on her expression I realized that would not suffice, so I told her I was metal detecting and looking for old coins. She thought I was looking for a gas leak. I chatted her up for a bit more to calm her fears. By the end of the encounter I'm pretty sure she thought I was crazy but harmless which is the impression I like to leave.

I found the coin not ten minutes later. I would have loved to show it to her to show her I wasn't crazy... or at least not as crazy as she might have thought I was!

Whenever I do a sidewalk tear-out people ask me what I am doing. Many ask if I am looking for a gas leak. I always tell them I am looking for old coins and most shake their heads and move on. Since this is the first time I have found an old coin on a sidewalk tear-out during my short metal detecting career, I know that I am not as crazy as most people think I am. Heck, I started to think I was crazy until I found this beauty!

Thanks again for all of the great comments. It was a thrill to exhume this beauty from her cemented grave! ;D
I hit some tearouts in Portsmouth last year, from what I found in a short hunt, I believe they replace them every 10 years, (all brick sidewalks)
I couldn't deal with all the questions & attention, & soon returned to my secluded coves & forest.
Again, you deserve this fine piece for your efforts :thumbsup:

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
WoW, nice coin but did you have to give it such a harsh cleaning? But hey its your coin not mine. You've gone that far drill a hole in it and wear the dang thing.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
ppratt said:
WoW, nice coin but did you have to give it such a harsh cleaning? But hey its your coin not mine. You've gone that far drill a hole in it and wear the dang thing.
Your Coin looks great!
I shined up my 1620s cob and I like it like that :thumbsup:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer find!!!!! MR TUFF

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome SEATED SILVER Congratulations!!
TTH

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit two new juicy sidewalk tear-outs this evening and was rewarded with absolutely nothing.
After this last find I have been making big trips around SF noting all of the upcoming sidewalk tear-outs in the works and stumbling upon a few in the process. Not every hunt pays off but when they do they can be substantial!!

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tomorrow I will post some new photos of my last four sidewalk tear-outs that I hunted. Some of them are pretty funny as to the location and size of the tear-out.
:headbang:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great little niche you've found in the hobby. A 12-pak with your email addy attached might get you a heads up you might otherwise miss.

Good Luck

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
mr_larry said:
steelheadwill said:

"By the end of the encounter I'm pretty sure she thought I was crazy but harmless which is the impression I like to leave."- LOL, Put that on a t-shirt! :laughing7: Awesome find man!!! :headbang:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sidewalk tear-outs are really good places to search, especially when they are in an older area of town.

Looks to me like your coin could have come from the earthquake remodelling of SF though.

Dandy coin.

I'm thinking the black gunk is from oil. Acetone will remove oil, tar and other organic material from silver.

You may be correct about the pitting near the date. Environmental damage happens.

Nice find!

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale said:
Sidewalk tear-outs are really good places to search, especially when they are in an older area of town.

Looks to me like your coin could have come from the earthquake remodelling of SF though.

Dandy coin.

I'm thinking the black gunk is from oil. Acetone will remove oil, tar and other organic material from silver.

You may be correct about the pitting near the date. Environmental damage happens.

Nice find!

Thanks for the tip on the acetone. I'll need to pick some up and add it to my cleaning supplies.

On another note, I found a token the other other day that is the size of a dollar coin but appears to be made out of copper or brass due to the heavy green patina. It is very difficult to read. Do you have any recommendations on how to clean the token?

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Congrats on your beautifull piece of seated silver !! :thumbsup:

Karl

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
That is a stunning coin! Great find I bet there is more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread