Silly question, do buyers care what you ship in?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Ebay of today isn't the Ebay of the 90s. Feedback used to be a 2 way street and it kept people honest. Now they only care about the buyers. Sellers have very little protection at all. When you go to leave feedback for a buyer you have ONE choice. Positive. That's it. I have had 3 buyers in the past month who didn't pay. I opened cases against the, all and 2 of them completely ignored all attempt by me or by Ebay to resolve it and didn't even have the courtesy of responding. It took me 2 weeks to get the seller fees reversed. The third guy was in Canada (no offense guys) and he had chosen to use Ebays new "global shipping" option. Ebay added extra fees as well as import duties to the total due. Completely unknown to me and out of my control. I got a nasty email from the buyer telling me I was trying to screw him on the shipping and refusing to pay. I sent him another email offering to figure the shipping cost myself without going through that stupid "global shipping" crap and even to pay half and never got a reply. Buyers of today know that they can bid at random on all kinds of things, decide after winning that they simply don't feel like following through, and there are NO repercussions. Sure it's cool, bid on 50 auctions and then when they're over pick and choose which ones you feel like paying for. It's NOT Walmart folks, WTF. Ebay could care less. They want to be Amazon and the sellers like you & I who do maybe 10-50 items a week are no longer their bread and butter and we could all leave and they wouldn't even notice. I wish there was an alternative that was as popular only based on the old Ebay rules. To the OP, have you looked at the boxes the post office refers to as "shoebox size" ? They are not a flat rate box but are a handy size and might be well suited for dolls. Go here and create an account. Nearly all Priority Mail supplies are free with free delivery to your door. The only thing I have to get at the local PO is the Priority Mail shipping tape and I'm not sure if they're supposed to hand that out to the public but I've never been turned down. https://store.usps.com/store/browse...catMSS_PriorityMail&q_pageNum=1&q_pageSize=12

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay of today isn't the Ebay of the 90s. Feedback used to be a 2 way street and it kept people honest. Now they only care about the buyers. Sellers have very little protection at all. When you go to leave feedback for a buyer you have ONE choice. Positive. That's it. I have had 3 buyers in the past month who didn't pay. I opened cases against the, all and 2 of them completely ignored all attempt by me or by Ebay to resolve it and didn't even have the courtesy of responding. It took me 2 weeks to get the seller fees reversed. The third guy was in Canada (no offense guys) and he had chosen to use Ebays new "global shipping" option. Ebay added extra fees as well as import duties to the total due. Completely unknown to me and out of my control. I got a nasty email from the buyer telling me I was trying to screw him on the shipping and refusing to pay. I sent him another email offering to figure the shipping cost myself without going through that stupid "global shipping" crap and even to pay half and never got a reply. Buyers of today know that they can bid at random on all kinds of things, decide after winning that they simply don't feel like following through, and there are NO repercussions. Sure it's cool, bid on 50 auctions and then when they're over pick and choose which ones you feel like paying for. It's NOT Walmart folks, WTF. Ebay could care less. They want to be Amazon and the sellers like you & I who do maybe 10-50 items a week are no longer their bread and butter and we could all leave and they wouldn't even notice. I wish there was an alternative that was as popular only based on the old Ebay rules. To the OP, have you looked at the boxes the post office refers to as "shoebox size" ? They are not a flat rate box but are a handy size and might be well suited for dolls. Go here and create an account. Nearly all Priority Mail supplies are free with free delivery to your door. The only thing I have to get at the local PO is the Priority Mail shipping tape and I'm not sure if they're supposed to hand that out to the public but I've never been turned down. https://store.usps.com/store/browse...&categoryNavIds=catGetMailingShippingSupplies

You lost me. How can a buyer choose the global shipping program if it is something you do not offer?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You lost me. How can a buyer choose the global shipping program if it is something you do not offer?
I did offer it. The buyer had no clue how it worked, didn't read the fine print, and assumed that the extra charges added on by Ebay were of my doing. My listing was to ship to US buyers for $8 bucks. But I offered the global shipping option to allow anyone to bid if they chose to. When a bidder from another country wins (Canada for example) I ship to a forwarding company in CA that works with Ebay and I still pay the regular price to ship within the US. Ebay then adds their fees, the cost to ship from the CA middleman to the Canadian buyer and also tacks on any required import taxes. In fact I do not even have the option of sending the buyer an invoice or making adjustments to the price in the case of "global shipping" Ebay does it all. So you buy a $10 item, choose "global shipping" and by the time it hits your front porch it costs you much more than $10. All of which is completely out of my control. Does that help ? It pissed me off because I take great pride in making ZERO on the shipping. I use Priority Mail boxes which are free. Priority Mail shipping tape which is free and I recycle bubble wrap and newspaper and use it over again. If I pay $5.80 at the PO then you pay $5.80 when I send you the invoice. People who can't read or don't bother to take the time to understand what they're agreeing to when they hit that "bid" button shouldn't bid. My apologies to foreign bidders but because of this guy I no longer offer global shipping. However I do put in the description that if someone wants to bid to please contact me PRIOR to bidding and I will allow it as long as we both understand that shipping may be high.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did offer it. The buyer had no clue how it worked, didn't read the fine print, and assumed that the extra charges added by Ebay were of my doing.

I can see him wanting out, because I did the same thing before, when I didn't know there was such a program. It does display the charges, but if you're not familiar it's easy to assume that's just for upgraded shipping or some other reason that doesn't apply to you... because when most buy something they just look at the basic shipping cost. Now that you have gone through this I'm sure you realize it is a very bad thing to have if you want to do International sales as it will totally kill them off. Last year I bought two things the same week, one had the program but was an item I wanted and couldn't easily find anywhere else, so I paid an extra $25 for the fees. The other item did not have the program and was double the cost, and when I received it I was not charged a penny. Needless to say I pay more attention now, and for the record the item purchase I backed out of was some track pants that was like $30, and they wanted an extra $20, and when you add the $10 shipping my $30 purchase would have been double. No thanks.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the most r e tarded thing I've ever heard. Yeah, they're nuts alright.

It sure is!

yeah I've had a few like that and you soon realize there's no point. One was accusing me of calling her in the middle of the night and hanging up. I got away from that one asap, and if you ever need a conflict cleared up fast as a buyer.... act crazy! I say that as a joke, but had a seller or two in the past who was trying to take advantage, so i reached into my bags of tricks for a little bit of crazy to throw at them.

Great one flipping the tables on em is always a nice option sounds like you used it to perfection!

The PayPal sucks web site has or use to have some serious horror stories posted on there. It even promoted the ripping off of PayPal & told you exactly how to do it without getting in trouble & people would brag about their large PayPal scams. The eBay/PayPal rules have changed a lot since I last looked at that site & I'm sure that site had a lot to do with the newer rules.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions