Silver, Jewelery and Tears...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So yesterday we had a family barbecue at my parents house. The same house that me and my two brothers grew up in. Between the actual food and desert the kids start getting antsy. How do you entertain a 4, 5, 8 and 10 year old all at once. Well I decide to get the detector out of the car and see if we can find anything that their fathers may have buried in the backyard when we were kids. Sounds like a good plan.

At first I was let each kid take a turn but that was not working out well. My daughter is four and actually is pretty good but she has had practice. The others were pushing it like a plow or not keeping the coil to the ground. I tried for a while to give more direction but we were going nowhere fast.

light bulb time....I'll detect and let each kid keep whatever I find and we will go in age order from youngest to oldest. Seems fair enough. First time through just junque and clad but the kids loved it. The eight year old wanted to keep all the junque we found so when the others did not want the screw or scrap of tin it went into her bag.

The second time through the ten year old gets a very nice 1937 Mercury dime. I still find it hard to turn over nice finds but a deal is a deal. This is when the parents start watching from the deck and my mother announces since it is her house she get 10% of all finds.

The third time through the kids and the eight year old gets a bracelet with a four leaf clover charm. That is when my daughter starts yelling I want that and the tears start flowing. Did I mention she did not have a nap... The eight year old offers her a nice piece of scrap metal from her bag but her mind was set on that bracelet.

I don't deal well with tears so that is when the detector got packed up and put back in the car. A Mercury and bracelet in about 15-20 minutes I may have to go back with out the kids soon.

Sorry no pictures. Forgot the digital camera at home and my nieces were not about to let me take their finds home to photograph.

It was nice to get out even for a short period of time and do some detecting. It has been difficult lately to find time with life's other obligations.

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I can imagine that is the difficult things with more than one child. Maybe if you could take them out for a little while individually or maybe some would still be jelous of the others finds. If nothing else, you will just have to wait and they'll grow out of it, lol. It's good that you are trying to get them involved though.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean when you are dealing with kids that are all different ages. Tell them that since it's your detector, you get to keep any of the finds, but they get a dime if they help with recovery. Everybody goes home happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread