Silver Sacagawea Dollar

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
I have several Sacagawea dollar coins I have recovered that are gleaming silver ( almost proof-like ) instead of the normal drab, gold, color. I have been all over the internet to no avail, been to several coin dealers and they have never seen one nor know of their origin. I have contacted several coin collector publications with no luck. Been in contact with the largest mint error coin dealer in the U.S. and he doesn't have a clue. Has anyone on here ever seen one?

Bill

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Bill,

These dollars are made of a metal composite that can react strangely to various chemicals. Not knowing the circumstances of your finds it would be hard to guess what caused the transformation. The Sac Dollar's overall composition: 88.5% copper, 6.0% zinc, 3.5% manganese and 2% nickel. The coins physical makeup is a three-layer clad construction - pure copper sandwiched between and metallurgically bonded to outer layers of manganese brass and weighs 8.1g. If the size and weight are correct, there are really only two possibilities ... someone plated them (not likely with multiple finds unless they were close together) or they've reacted to chemicals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread