Simple question.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would I buy an Excal again, hummm, I love the Excal so much I have two, I have an Excal as a backup for my Excal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL and I thought I was addicted to the Excal..... ;)

Willy

I had an Excalibur with the adapter to fit other coils on it. Aside from the fact (in my opinion) that it's overpriced there were 2 BIG problems with it:1) hates Canadian coins (like the Sov.) and there's only so many $1 and $2 coins I'm willing to pass up. 2) terrible on small low conductors. I did in-ground side by side (only 1 detector switched on at a time) tests with the Excal., Sov., Cobra II (modified), GTI 2000, Infinium. The BBS detectorsa came in dead last and, in fact, couldn't even 'see' some of the targets regardless of sensitivity or coil. I posted the results and the howls of protest (I liken them to howls since they replies were not, for the most part, well reasoned) were "deafening". Wow.. did I ever wake up the 'trailer trash'. Anyway, they're decent detectors within their limitations and I actually liked using the Excal./Sov., just don't expect to find tiny items. On the other hand, I was up prospecting in Alaska and, through mischance, ended up using a CZ6a. Found a whole load of gold with it; nuggets down to about 2-3 grains. This was hunting in salt mode with the 10.5" coil (often in disc. mode due to iron).. the equivalent of hunting with a CZ20. ..Willy.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Treasure Hunter I have two Excal's, a 800 and 1000. The 800 seems to be my diving detector since it is just lucky. I don't think you can get a better producing water detector. My Excal 1000 has found earring backs while wading, but there isn't much value in them, however the earring stud is near by.

Because of it's Iron Mask feature it is not my first choice for detecting in Canada because a lot of their coins stick to magnets and would not sound off. True is is higher priced.

You can also use a Fisher 1280, a nice solid easy to use detector and built like a tank. Three knobs and silent search. Get one with the larger 10 inch coil if you get one to cover more sand quickly.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
S

seger98

Thanks Willy & sandman your info is helpful, I will also look into that fisher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread