skunked- didnt even get the coins

xlt fan

Greenie
Sep 11, 2011
I have been metal detecting off and on for several yrs now but never coin roll hunted so i thought id give it a try. went to five different banks in my town and nobody has halves. they said the few they do get they ship to the fed. im not to impressed with this,at least when i go out to the field i always come back with at least a coin or two. What are my options? keep going to more banks in neighboring towns? I was told they dont order any becuase there is no demand. Any advice from u seasoned veterens would be appreciated, thanks. xlt fan

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to lots of banks and go to them often. Every bank will say they "don't get halves often" but an hour later, someone could have cashed their collection at face value. Keep in mind that dimes are also very productive to search, as are nickels and pennies. Plus, they are a lot easier to dump.

OP
OP
X

xlt fan

Greenie
Sep 11, 2011
Sounds like "squeeky wheel gets the grease" theory. ill goe to a couple more tomorrow and talk with a lady i know at my own bank and see how i do then. Thanks for the replies!!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
xlt fan said:
Sounds like "squeeky wheel gets the grease" theory. ill goe to a couple more tomorrow and talk with a lady i know at my own bank and see how i do then. Thanks for the replies!!

More or less. The thing to keep in mind is never refuse even the smallest amount of halves. If I'm not sure, I usually ask for about $20 or so, if they say they only have like 3 loose, still take them! Some of my best scores have been teller tray scores. Most of the times banks will only have customer halves unless you or another CRHer specifically orders a machine rolled box. Also, remember that when banks say they don't have any halves, they really mean they don't have any halves. Most of the time banks try to get rid of them like the plague since most people don't want them given out in change and only us CRHers ask for them. Occasionally if you are really persistent they will agree to sell halves out of the sorter if they don't have any loose halves, especially if you have an account there.

But always remember, never dump where you eat. Otherwise banks won't be very happy.

OP
OP
X

xlt fan

Greenie
Sep 11, 2011
great! thanks, One i went to said they had maybe two dollars worth, i guess i should have got them. ill know next time. I guess i just thought every bank had like tons of coins sitting around. shows how little bank knowledge i have.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
xlt fan said:
great! thanks, One i went to said they had maybe two dollars worth, i guess i should have got them. ill know next time. I guess i just thought every bank had like tons of coins sitting around. shows how little bank knowledge i have.

Yeah, always take the small amounts tellers have, never pass up a half dollar, even if you are 100% sure it is clad. The tellers will thank you for getting rid of the coins they hate (though I draw the line at accepting small dollars), also, be sure to ask for Ikes, silver Ikes are fairly common and there have been reports of people getting Peace and Morgan dollars through this hobby!

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I didn't get my coins today either. Teller at my bank has a bunch of Ikes $590 worth. I go in this afternoon. There is a teller I have never seen that often and nobody else working. Had to change my plan because the one I needed to see wasn't there. Ended up just getting $20 in nickels. Even then the one who was there had to call for someone to get them because she didn't have coins in her drawer. Hopefully when I go tomorrow morning to cash a check I can get the Ikes.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
mws_1984 said:
I didn't get my coins today either. Teller at my bank has a bunch of Ikes $590 worth. I go in this afternoon. There is a teller I have never seen that often and nobody else working. Had to change my plan because the one I needed to see wasn't there. Ended up just getting $20 in nickels. Even then the one who was there had to call for someone to get them because she didn't have coins in her drawer. Hopefully when I go tomorrow morning to cash a check I can get the Ikes.

Good luck with the Ikes. I'm going back to a bank on Thurs. to buy some $200 or so in Ikes (I'm assuming) that a teller had a couple of weeks ago - if they are still available.

To xlt fan: You could also try calling some banks to check for halves to save yourself some time and gas money. I do that sometimes but I'm usually driving around town during the week anyway so I don't really waste any gas money searching many different banks.

Good luck and HH

OP
OP
X

xlt fan

Greenie
Sep 11, 2011
i dont know anything about the ikes, what do i need to look for with those?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
xlt fan said:
i dont know anything about the Ike's, what do i need to look for with those?

well mainly just look for some possible S coins in hopes of finding silver or ever better would be to find some Peace or Morgan dollars instead. There are also some '72 and '76 type varieties and all '73's are NIFC's too. But nearly all you'll likely find are just regular circulated clad Ike's that aren't really worth much more than face but even those seem to sell for surprisingly nice premiums on eBay.

HH

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
SilverFace said:
mws_1984 said:

Good luck with the Ikes. I'm going back to a bank on Thurs. to buy some $200 or so in Ikes (I'm assuming) that a teller had - if they are still available.

To xlt fan: You could also try calling some banks to check for halves to save yourself some time and gas money. I do that sometimes but I'm usually driving around town during the week anyway so I don't really waste any gas money searching many different banks.

Good luck and HH

Thanks. Hoping there is others in there besides Ikes. Not sure though. Teller told me they were Ikes, not sure if the guy who brought them said they all were or not. But it's worth looking. Did $20 in nickels because she wasn't there so I ended up with 6 older ones. 1940,1941,1948,1952,1957,1959

Tomorrow it's off to pick up the Ikes hopefully and then dump whats not worth keeping in the afternoon. Gonna have to do a couple different banks because I feel bad dumping them all at my CU where they don't take them in the machine.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
In order to find silver Ikes you must weigh them.

Check Coinflation.com, at the bottom of the page.

I roll fast, so I find Ikes very inconvenient to bother with. To each his own.

Keep on Rollin' !

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
I find Ikes very inconvenient to bother with. To each his own.

I actually agree somewhat. If I knew all the "big dollar coins" I buy are just clad Ike's I wouldn't bother searching 'em. But I did find 4 Morgans earlier this year and I just can't resist the chance of maybe finding more or maybe some silver Ike's - even though I'm sure most of them I search are just going to be clad skunks.

I would sure love to find a solid roll of Peace or Morgan dollars. That would be a true dream score - but that may be a dream that just never comes true. Btw, does anyone know if anyone has ever posted a score like that?

HH

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Piledriver said:

I roll fast, so I find Ikes very inconvenient to bother with. To each his own.

Keep on Rollin' !

Is there any other way? I have seen that only the ones with the S mint mark are silver, even then it is only 40% silver. I don't have a scale so other than going on known info I can't do anything else. I think it is 71-74 with an S mint are the 40%

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
mws_1984 said:
Piledriver said:

Is there any other way? I have seen that only the ones with the S mint mark are silver, even then it is only 40% silver. I don't have a scale so other than going on known info I can't do anything else. I think it is 71-74 with an S mint are the 40%

Only some of the S Ike's are silver - some are clad. There are '76S silver Ike's too. But weighing is really the best way to tell. If you find a '71-'76 S Ike the best thing to do is just wait till you are able to weigh it to find out for sure.

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
SilverFace said:
mws_1984 said:
Piledriver said:

Only some of the S Ike's are silver - some are clad. There are '76S silver Ike's too. But weighing is really the best way to tell. If you find a '71-'76 S Ike the best thing to do is just wait till you are able to weigh it to find out for sure.

I'll just continue to pick them up, since only the S mintmarks have a chance of being silver. So if I do pull any and it turns out to be a few, then thats no big deal to just hold them til I can weigh them. If it was any of them could be silver then I wouldn't want to pick them up. Narrowing it down really helps.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw, I should have been more specific. All S mint '71's & '72's Ike's are silver because the mint didn't start minting the clad proofs for the proof sets till '73. It's just the '73, '74, & '76 S proof Ike's that are both clad and silver. And all '77S & '78S Ike's are clad because there were no silver ones minted those years. Also you might want to keep any clad S Ike's if you ever find 'em too. They aren't nearly as good as silver but they are NIFC's and it would be like finding a clad proof half dollar - which are always keepers for me.

So that should help a little bit if you ever find an S Ike. Depending on the year it may not need to be weighed at all.

Here's a good reference page for the different strikes and mintages of Ike's:

http://www.bestcoin.com/eisenhower-dollar-mintage.htm

HH

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piledriver said:

Huh? How about edge checking?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
kennedyfan said:
Piledriver said:

Huh? How about edge checking?

With Ike's it's not always that easy to tell for sure. I've got a '74S Ike that I've had for a while that I thought was silver but I took it to a coin shop not long ago and the dealer said he didn't think it was silver but he wasn't sure (I didn't think to ask him to weigh it at the time). Also I've found a couple of '76S halves recently that I think are silver but I'm not 100% certain about thiose either. I'm just going to have to weigh them when I get a scale to find out for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions