Slamming Day in Philadelphia, LC, Half Cent, huge silver pendant, silver coins,wheats

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, finally got myself down to Philadelphia to meet up with Vino, Carolina Tom, and Smittyman, I was supposed to work today but I came down with a case of (old-coin-itis), look it up, its real! lol!! As I began my 100 mile drive, things weren't looking so great and I thought to myself "maybe I shouldn't have called off" 20150608_063800.jpg once I got to philly it was like the rain just shut off and cleared out for a perfect day of detecting. After meeting CT and Smittyman we met up with Vino at the 1915 school nice and early and got right to it. Pretty quickly I nabbed the beautifully big/heavy sterling religious pendant. I was pulling a lot of early clad and finally hit on some wheats, dug 28 wheats today! worked up towards the school a bit and managed the extra crispy Large cent at about 8" worked along the front of the school for a while and went over to BS with Tom and Vino, smittyman wandered off around the corner to another abandoned school. was talking while swinging and got a beautiful 12-46 at about 4 inches that sounded sweet and had the guys listen to it with their deus and low and behold after they both said copper penny I get this sweet SLQ w/o a date, I was surprised at that! heres the take from the first trip to the school: 20150608_131622.jpg shortly later we left for lunch and tried a little door knocking and we realized quickly we were gonna be driving a while so we tried a park for a short time then right back to the school. I picked up right where I left off in the same area of the school and popped wheat after wheat, then a merc, a few more wheats, then the roosie, then a little later the cool swastika token 20150608_175228.jpg and finally the find of the day for me 1810 Half Cent, 20150608_180819.jpg that predates the school by 105 years! Its my best condition half cent yet, heres the take from trip #2 to the school, 20150608_185211.jpg today was an awesome day with great company, it was nice to share the fun with George and those Carolina Boys, made the day awesome!, thanks for looking and hh!! 20150608_222916.jpg 20150608_224755.jpg 20150608_231310.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch first Vino kicks some serious butt on day one in that amazing 45 min marathon hunt then you drive 2 hrs and do the same on the boys last day. Talk about some PA. hospitality. Ouch. Great finds there Chris. CT told me he had a great day hunting with you but he had to run to the drugstore to get some Ointment.
Too bad "NICK" couldn't make it

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt!!! We found the same token out our way as well yesterday! Congrats!!!!:occasion14:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you guys had a great day and you got yourself some real nice finds!!

Love that half cent and the SLQ, Congrats!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully that took care of the oldcoinitis...no video?...lots of good targets there...I bet you'll be checking out the old schools up here now.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a hell of a hunt. A ton of digs, and it looks like it paid off for you. The Half Cent is incredible.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beautiful day Chris. Congrats you deserved it bud

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Love the half cent.
Thanks!, its my 3rd ever and has the best detail of all of em

Ouch first Vino kicks some serious butt on day one in that amazing 45 min marathon hunt then you drive 2 hrs and do the same on the boys last day. Talk about some PA. hospitality. Ouch. Great finds there Chris. CT told me he had a great day hunting with you but he had to run to the drugstore to get some Ointment.
Too bad "NICK" couldn't make it
thanks tyler!, CT tom kept telling me the penalty after a good find was 30 minutes in the truck lol!, don't be fooled, those southern boys killed it during their trip to good old Philly, im sure a post will be up later today after their flight

Awesome hunt!!! We found the same token out our way as well yesterday! Congrats!!!!:occasion14:
thanks, I had no idea what It was, and when I rubbed the dirt and saw the swastika CT tom yelled out "no way"!

Sounds like you guys had a great day and you got yourself some real nice finds!! Thanks, yeah i was in a bit of a slump and this is just what i needed to break it!

Love that half cent and the SLQ, Congrats!!
Thanks, its dateless but its also my first silver quarter for 2015!

WOW!! Nice day of digging!! Congrats!
Thanks Ron, it was fun but man im tired this morning lol!!!

Hopefully that took care of the oldcoinitis...no video?...lots of good targets there...I bet you'll be checking out the old schools up here now.
Thanks dave, nah no video this time, i forgot my phone in the truck and realized after my first couple good finds, also i was too darn tired to put one together when i got home, we gotta get back down their someday, abandoned schools everywhere lol!!!

That's a hell of a hunt. A ton of digs, and it looks like it paid off for you. The Half Cent is incredible.
Thanks Will, Vino found a half cent 1803 there the day before, pretty cool finding old coins that are WAY older than the school itself!

That's a beautiful day Chris. Congrats you deserved it bud
Thanks steve, it was a blast, im glad i got to share it with some good people, even though they kept telling me to sit in the truck lol!!!:laughing9:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt, liking the half cent.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris I saw several of the finds but I know CT been holding back on me. I've called him a sandbagger all week. So I'm not fooled I know he's holding out. Hope you make it through work today after being "sick" yesterday.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris I saw several of the finds but I know CT been holding back on me. I've called him a sandbagger all week. So I'm not fooled I know he's holding out. Hope you make it through work today after being "sick" yesterday.

Yeah tyler, those gus killed it. Glad to finally get to meet them, real cool guys

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the half cent will look great cleaned! Beautiful

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day?? That's a great YEAR for some hunters!! Congrats on what sounds like an awesome day for you all!!

-- Jeff --

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks!, its my 3rd ever and has the best detail of all of em

thanks tyler!, CT tom kept telling me the penalty after a good find was 30 minutes in the truck lol!, don't be fooled, those southern boys killed it during their trip to good old Philly, im sure a post will be up later today after their flight

thanks, I had no idea what It was, and when I rubbed the dirt and saw the swastika CT tom yelled out "no way"!

Thanks, its dateless but its also my first silver quarter for 2015!

Thanks Ron, it was fun but man im tired this morning lol!!!

Thanks dave, nah no video this time, i forgot my phone in the truck and realized after my first couple good finds, also i was too darn tired to put one together when i got home, we gotta get back down their someday, abandoned schools everywhere lol!!!

Thanks Will, Vino found a half cent 1803 there the day before, pretty cool finding old coins that are WAY older than the school itself!

Thanks steve, it was a blast, im glad i got to share it with some good people, even though they kept telling me to sit in the truck lol!!!:laughing9:

Now why they say that?!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I like all the Silver...I found the same Medallion when I first started hunting,haven't stopped since.:laughing7:

You're good to go dude.:icon_thumleft:

GOD Bless

Chris

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I noticed in your post is that token from excelsior shoe company for Boy scout shoes.These have been surfacing a lot lately. Your posts are always good to look at.Keep up the good work.You must still be exhausted from all that digging. Let me help you sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread