Slamming Day in Philadelphia, LC, Half Cent, huge silver pendant, silver coins,wheats

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, finally got myself down to Philadelphia to meet up with Vino, Carolina Tom, and Smittyman, I was supposed to work today but I came down with a case of (old-coin-itis), look it up, its real! lol!! As I began my 100 mile drive, things weren't looking so great and I thought to myself "maybe I shouldn't have called off" 20150608_063800.jpg once I got to philly it was like the rain just shut off and cleared out for a perfect day of detecting. After meeting CT and Smittyman we met up with Vino at the 1915 school nice and early and got right to it. Pretty quickly I nabbed the beautifully big/heavy sterling religious pendant. I was pulling a lot of early clad and finally hit on some wheats, dug 28 wheats today! worked up towards the school a bit and managed the extra crispy Large cent at about 8" worked along the front of the school for a while and went over to BS with Tom and Vino, smittyman wandered off around the corner to another abandoned school. was talking while swinging and got a beautiful 12-46 at about 4 inches that sounded sweet and had the guys listen to it with their deus and low and behold after they both said copper penny I get this sweet SLQ w/o a date, I was surprised at that! heres the take from the first trip to the school: 20150608_131622.jpg shortly later we left for lunch and tried a little door knocking and we realized quickly we were gonna be driving a while so we tried a park for a short time then right back to the school. I picked up right where I left off in the same area of the school and popped wheat after wheat, then a merc, a few more wheats, then the roosie, then a little later the cool swastika token 20150608_175228.jpg and finally the find of the day for me 1810 Half Cent, 20150608_180819.jpg that predates the school by 105 years! Its my best condition half cent yet, heres the take from trip #2 to the school, 20150608_185211.jpg today was an awesome day with great company, it was nice to share the fun with George and those Carolina Boys, made the day awesome!, thanks for looking and hh!! 20150608_222916.jpg 20150608_224755.jpg 20150608_231310.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had a great day! What makes it more fun is finding all that stuff while hunting with the boys. I know Tom and Steve are going to be let down when they start hunting down here again.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a nice day of digging
thanks!

You had a great day! What makes it more fun is finding all that stuff while hunting with the boys. I know Tom and Steve are going to be let down when they start hunting down here again.
hey they made out quite well up here, was fun hunting with them! I realized I was quick on the phone with ya, I was just anxious to get back to diggin!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the finds! I really like the 1/2 cent--lots of detail left on it. Took me years to find one and then got two Liberty Cap 1/2 cents & Liberty Cap large cent in same day, but they're unfortunately toasted. Hoping to find one with nice detail like yours. Get some Verdi-Care if you don't have it and hydrate and seal it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the finds! I really like the 1/2 cent--lots of detail left on it. Took me years to find one and then got two Liberty Cap 1/2 cents & Liberty Cap large cent in same day, but they're unfortunately toasted. Hoping to find one with nice detail like yours. Get some Verdi-Care if you don't have it and hydrate and seal it :thumbsup:

Ill have to look into that, thanks for the tip, the other 2 I have are toast

Orbit

May 12, 2015
Erie County, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 500
Garrett GTAX 550
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Now that is a slammin' day of finds!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a thread in "Today's Finds forum", not a chat room, please try to keep posts on topic in this forum. There are forums here that are more open to open chat like the general forum, and everything else forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen, I'm the thread starter, I'm clearly not offended by the off topic stuff, I don't see why it's a problem. In fact I look forward to the joking around

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of an awesome hunt! Congrats! This seems to be the year of large silver finds!

Love the half cent, on my wish list!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of an awesome hunt! Congrats! This seems to be the year of large silver finds!

Love the half cent, on my wish list!

Thank you for the kind words, it was an awesome day, I'm glad others were there to share it with me!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slamming Day in Philadelphia, LC, Half Cent, huge silver pendant, silver coin...

Man, the one day I have to actually WORK at work and can't come out to play, you guys have to bring out the grumpy old guys that don't like comedy.
Oh, nice finds too!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a great day. My tot lot #1 is on the grounds of a school from 1892, they razed the building in the '30's and now has an elementary school. I think most of the grounds are under the parking lot and they tore up a bunch for the tot lots. Probably took all the good stuff with it.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great day. My tot lot #1 is on the grounds of a school from 1892, they razed the building in the '30's and now has an elementary school. I think most of the grounds are under the parking lot and they tore up a bunch for the tot lots. Probably took all the good stuff with it.

I gotta admit when we got outta the truck and I saw the place, my hopes weren't high, lots of trash everywhere but man it was a great site

TrapperD

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2015
Moore co, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's cool! Got to step up from the compare or find better places to hunt. Going tomorrow hopefully and find old coins.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some killer finds there! Well done!!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Chris, now I'm jelly, lol

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Ointment... ointment please... over here....

Good show young fella!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread