Slow Hunt Turns Epic With My First Seated Half & Quarter!!!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back last night to the new spot I got permission for on Saturday. I was still on a rush from all the awesome relics I dug then and was excited to get back there. I started out in a field next to the house and didn't get much but a fired Williams cleaner. So I went over to check out the back yard and it was the same just with more trash. Decided to hit the big front yard again but I went on a diagonal from the straight lines I did on Saturday. I dug a nice little horse bridal piece that is lead backed, a couple more bullets and a neat old button. I was digging any repeatable signal but was only coming up with trash. I got a mid tone and was expecting it to be another headstamp but looked more like a flat button. After a little cleaning it turns out to be an 1865 Farthing. That was a nice surprise but now it's getting dark. I worked the second half of the yard and the signals just stopped. I went over to the far left side of the yard where there is fill dirt and you can tell where a new drain line was put in. I got a great signal showing 12-47 9-47 on the Etrac but shallow. I cut my plug and sure enough the target pinpoints in the plug so I tear into the roots expecting another piece of trash when a big silver coin rolls out. I got excited when I saw that eagle and I knew I had just dug my first Seated Half Dollar! I took a bunch a pics the best I could with what little light I still had. I get up grinning from ear to ear and worked my way up the line when I got a nice 12-46 showing down about 5". I thought I just might have another silver but was probably a clad quarter. I dug a nice big plug and this time it pinpoints down deeper in the hole. Sure enough out rolls a silver quarter and the excitement grows as I can tell it's my first Seated quarter! Just in shock as I took pics in the dark and I could see the date of 1876. As I was driving home I was thinking how cool it would be if the quarter was a Carson City mint and you can just make out the CC. Both these coins are worn thin but they are amazing to me. I've been detecting off and on for over 25 years and to get a first is still a big deal to me as it was when I was starting out at 15. You get these coins or relics in your mind to dig and when it happens it's the best feeling. I never would have thought I would cross these two off my list on back to back holes. You just never know! HH-David

HW60tOS.jpg jaP5v28.jpg

R2fmAUi.jpg 9c4QBBa.jpg

q5jijIV.jpg a8Ntwbu.jpg

wnDj1u6.jpg kKMezoJ.jpg

0VAgnfI.jpg

Upvote 41
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! Worn or not, the seated silvers are sweet! I'm still chasing the seated half...

Thanks! Yeah any seated or older is great fun to dig! I hope you dig your half soon

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Yes! God I love getting a 12-47 on my CTX. If it’s a tight signal, down deep and consistent, it’s always something awesome. Usually big silver. Way to go!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great day!!!!! Congrats!!!!!:occasion14:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Dave. Those are killer coins!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Does a seated dime count? I finally got one in 2017 after starting this hobby in the mid 80's. What a great little story and super firsts for you. Grats and thanks for sharing.
Maybe that will happen to me but with just lowly barbers. Got lots of dimes...no quarters or halves.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Seated!! WTG :thumbsup:
That hunt really ended with a bang for your. I have only dug little seated and not that many at that. Going to a place after work today that has the potential for seated, so maybe I will be next to take a seat on the throne!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seated half dollars and seated quarters are hard to come by when detecting.Congrats on those finds.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some awesome coins! Seated Half is super sweet. Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic old coin shooting, congrats! :occasion14:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt from a great permission! I'd hunt that place as long as I could.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats on the Seated half. I like it the way it is....way more stories behind that one. Just to wonder where all that coin traveled. Very nice!!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a day! I’m still looking for my first seated. Nothing like a seated half worn or not!

Thanks man! I agree they all look great down in the dirt! Hope you dig your first soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread