Slow Hunt Turns Epic With My First Seated Half & Quarter!!!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back last night to the new spot I got permission for on Saturday. I was still on a rush from all the awesome relics I dug then and was excited to get back there. I started out in a field next to the house and didn't get much but a fired Williams cleaner. So I went over to check out the back yard and it was the same just with more trash. Decided to hit the big front yard again but I went on a diagonal from the straight lines I did on Saturday. I dug a nice little horse bridal piece that is lead backed, a couple more bullets and a neat old button. I was digging any repeatable signal but was only coming up with trash. I got a mid tone and was expecting it to be another headstamp but looked more like a flat button. After a little cleaning it turns out to be an 1865 Farthing. That was a nice surprise but now it's getting dark. I worked the second half of the yard and the signals just stopped. I went over to the far left side of the yard where there is fill dirt and you can tell where a new drain line was put in. I got a great signal showing 12-47 9-47 on the Etrac but shallow. I cut my plug and sure enough the target pinpoints in the plug so I tear into the roots expecting another piece of trash when a big silver coin rolls out. I got excited when I saw that eagle and I knew I had just dug my first Seated Half Dollar! I took a bunch a pics the best I could with what little light I still had. I get up grinning from ear to ear and worked my way up the line when I got a nice 12-46 showing down about 5". I thought I just might have another silver but was probably a clad quarter. I dug a nice big plug and this time it pinpoints down deeper in the hole. Sure enough out rolls a silver quarter and the excitement grows as I can tell it's my first Seated quarter! Just in shock as I took pics in the dark and I could see the date of 1876. As I was driving home I was thinking how cool it would be if the quarter was a Carson City mint and you can just make out the CC. Both these coins are worn thin but they are amazing to me. I've been detecting off and on for over 25 years and to get a first is still a big deal to me as it was when I was starting out at 15. You get these coins or relics in your mind to dig and when it happens it's the best feeling. I never would have thought I would cross these two off my list on back to back holes. You just never know! HH-David

HW60tOS.jpg jaP5v28.jpg

R2fmAUi.jpg 9c4QBBa.jpg

q5jijIV.jpg a8Ntwbu.jpg

wnDj1u6.jpg kKMezoJ.jpg

0VAgnfI.jpg

Upvote 41
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hunt! I have several Barber coins but never a seated. It's definitely on my bucket list.

Thanks man! Barbers are fun too. You'll get a seated soon and it will be a big time thrill. Good luck to ya!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats

They are both still pretty nice. I have yet to find the elusive seated half in 25 yrs hunting and ive hunted alot. Dozens of barber halfs dozens of seateds but not the half.

They both are hard to come by.

Jer

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Slow Hunt Turns Epic With My First Seated Half & Quarter!!!

Well Dave, those seated half’s are seldom seen on Tnet. I’ve dug one, and it’s something I’ll always remember...and I come from the land of seated coinage. Way to go dude, you rocked it! That 1859 date is something to be proud of for sure since the whording of silver in the US ensured soon after. And as far as a slow hunt, yeah, I’ve been there 1000 times. But with the right attitude and perseverance anything can happen in this hobby! Congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats

They are both still pretty nice. I have yet to find the elusive seated half in 25 yrs hunting and ive hunted alot. Dozens of barber halfs dozens of seateds but not the half.

They both are hard to come by.

Jer

Thanks Jer. Yeah I’ve been hunting for about the same amount of time and have mainly focused on old coins. So you never know when and where you’ll get those big first. Good luck to ya I hope you get over a big Seated soon!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Dave, those seated half’s are seldom seen on Tnet. I’ve dug one, and it’s something I’ll always remember...and I come from the land of seated coinage. Way to go dude, you rocked it! That 1859 date is something to be proud of for sure since the whording of silver in the US ensured soon after. And as far as a slow hunt, yeah, I’ve been there 1000 times. But with the right attitude and perseverance anything can happen in this hobby! Congrats!

Thanks Scrappy! You’re right about the perseverance paying off. I know a ton of my better finds have come from a slow unproductive hunt but sticking in there and getting over the right spot can pay off big. Congrats on your Seated half they do seem to be elusive. Good luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread