SLQ and a couple other keepers

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nate was off school on Friday so we decided to scout some new places. League park was opened in 1891 and there was a lot of activity there until 1946. Got there and there was still part of the original stone structure standing – very cool.

However the detecting was a bust. We were digging 80’s clad at 7-8 inches. So we gave it a good shot but moved on to another “downtown” park. Took a while to find the park and it was not what I expected. Found out later looking at Google maps that I was in the wrong part of the park. Anyway, another bust – not even a wheat penny. So packed up and went to old faithful. Was starting to get late and rain was moving in but we had to go home with something for the day. Turns out we were not disappointed. Was working a trashy area and thought I heard a good tone in with the junk. Dug the plug and pulled out a newer style pull tab. Probed the hole and pulled out a 1946 nickel. Rescan the hole and one more – a SLQ! No date but I was happy.

Other merc and rosie were from last weekend from a different site. One wheat was a 1916 and in fair shape the rest 40’s and 50’s and roached.

SLQandstuff800.jpg

totalsSept24800.jpg

Samehole.jpg

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Mirage.

I know the feeling. You don't wanna go home empty handed. Some days are tough though.

Your persistence to stay out got you that nice quarter. It's amazing we all seem to have a site that we can go back to when things get tough.

HH Jer

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some very nice finds you have there... You say the coin had no date, is this because it is worn off? or did they make them without dates? Also what program are you using to put a ragged border on your pictures, they look great.....

God bless
peter

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
gypsyheart said:
Those are some great finds! When you found all that in one hole,what did it ring up as?

With the Exp II I am going more on tone so I must have heard that silver tone in there somewhere. With the trashy signals like that the cursor on the graph jumps all over the place. I wasn't even paying attention to the graph - especially as the rain was making the display hard to see. I am beginning to see why Explorer users rely heavily on sound.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
pgill said:
Some very nice finds you have there... You say the coin had no date, is this because it is worn off? or did they make them without dates? Also what program are you using to put a ragged border on your pictures, they look great.....

God bless
peter

Thanks Peter.

SLQ's are notorious for the dates being one of the first things to wear off.

The program I am using for adding borders is JASC Paintshop Pro.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds gotta love silver
i guesse thats an old pull tab u found wit the silver :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mirage said:
gypsyheart said:
Those are some great finds! When you found all that in one hole,what did it ring up as?

With the Exp II I am going more on tone so I must have heard that silver tone in there somewhere. With the trashy signals like that the cursor on the graph jumps all over the place. I wasn't even paying attention to the graph - especially as the rain was making the display hard to see. I am beginning to see why Explorer users rely heavily on sound.
Very nice haul Mirage...glad you moved on.I'm thinking about buying my brother's Exp II....Are they as tough to learn as everyone make's them out to be?...Congrat's..

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds WTG on staying with it. Silver is always a good way to end the hunt. HH Burdie

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Very impressive, I spent several hours hunting Sunday and was more or less skunked. An 1840 farm, an old country chuch and graveyard with huge old oak trees and an old city park. And I got one mower attacked silver ring, and one wheat. Nice to see some folks had luck this weekend.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its to bad those standing Liberty Quarters always come out well worn, very few come out with dates. Nice haul like usual! WTG

Z

ZipDogg

That's a real good day, nice loot. Also great pictures make stories more interesting, thanks for both.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Any SLQ day is a good day!!
That was my first silver coin found
with my detecor back in the 80's.
They are a treasure! Congrats Bob!!

The egyptian thingie is kind of interesting looking.
What's it? Great finds and awesome photos as usual.

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread