Small Four coin cache found!

TL Missouri

Dec 31, 2006
About a month ago I bought the salvage rights to a small farm house that was to be tore down. I was removing some doors and trim out of the house when I spotted a string hanging from a nail on the back of a closet door. I noticed what looked like buttons hanging from the string. After closer inspection I discovered there were four coins that had been holed and had the string ran through the center. There was three Indian cents and one seated dime. The dates were 1865 1866 1900 IH and 1857 dime. I know not worth alot but it broght a smile to my face! The sad thing is the 1866 IH looks like it had full liberty. A nice coin before being holed. I never found anything else of much value at the old house and it had a dozer run over it and buried it. I left the string that was holding the coins in the picture. TL

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 979
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this interesting as I was looking up some info on colonial cons earlier today:

"Holed coins were like modern traveller's checks. A traveller would sew or pin several of these coins into the lining or inside of their jacket and use them as needed"

I think it went out of fashion to do this in the later part of the 18th century, but I guess some people continued to do so later!

Still a great find!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unique finds. Interesting topic about the holed coins.

;) RR

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds and heres a pic of a coin with a hole in thats worth 15,ooo US dollars,The australian holey dollar made from spain reale[8] in 1813 when the colony of New south Wales ran low of coinage.Punched the middle out to make a smaller coin called a dump.Only 300 found.

tinpan

Attachments

• holydollar1.jpg
    holydollar1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 475
  • holydollar1.jpg
    holydollar1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 468

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way there is only about $50.00 lost because of the holes. What a waste..

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That's a cool find. The one on the lower left looks almost square as though it was broached. I wonder if that string was good luck or to ward off evil spirits :o :o

D

doyboy

A "super duper" job, bud! Or, in Zoyboy's words, a "zoyper doyper" job! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread