Small Point, Big Lesson

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is the first point I ever found. It was on a trip to the desert sage brush country of eastern Washington, looking for Ellensburg Blue Agates, many years ago (my eye sight was better back then).

It was complete when I found it, but I allowed my mother-in-law to hold up to the light that happened to be over the kitchen sink. Should have said no, as she dropped it, breaking off the ears etc. Never again.

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 594
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCF0048.JPG
    DSCF0048.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 606
  • DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
scepter1 said:
It was complete when I found it, but I allowed my mother-in-law to hold up to the light that happened to be over the kitchen sink. Should have said no, as she dropped it, breaking off the ears etc. Never again.

Nice little point scepter, pretty material.

I think many of us have had to learn that lesson the hard way.

The rule is:
never let someone handle an artifact over a hard surface or over other artifacts that may be in a case or laid out on a table for viewing.

11KBP

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Very good rule of thumb,I once was cleaning of a serrated point made out of black chert and the tip came right off...errr had to glue it back as well as one time I was handling a nice very thin hafted scraper ,popped at an angle ,right in half in my hands,there was NO salvaging that one,it sux when these things happen as they happen to the best of us. A man learns his lessons real quick on how to handle points after some shit like that goes down :help:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a wonderful 3 inch field find bowlen bevel get dropped on a table top and of course it snapped right in half. Everyone was sick because it "was" perfect. Even glued back together it just wasn't the same. Sorry to hear about your point.

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
ohh thats enough to make a person sick >:( what can ya say ,things like this happens alot more often than they should.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i know a fella that found an Ellensburg blue projectile point...talk about amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread