Small Town CRH Raid - 15oz goal

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, next week I am planning on raiding two small town routes. I am hoping it pays off with some old coin.

Monday will stay local. 2 banks, all dimes.

Tuesday will be local as well, 1 bank, 4 boxes of Brinks Halves

Wednesday will be somewhat local. Going North to pick up 6 Halves and shooting for $1000 in dimes and whatever CWR's I can grab. Doubt I could work in the North route as well as it shows 5 hours for 250 miles before any stops. I dont think I could sort and dump $6,000 in halves and $1000 in dimes and still manage the run.

My best runs have been in the 10,000 and less population cities. I am interested in seeing how they do. I am hoping that the hard economic times means people have dumped their coins they have been saving for a long time into the bank as CWR's.

Thursday will be the North Run.

City: population, # of banks (Bold are additions)

City 0: 329, 1 bank
City 0a: 2510, 2 banks
City 0b: 257, 1 bank

City 1: 4814, 3 banks
City 2: 5535, 2 banks
City 3: 14940, 4 Banks
City 4: 2725, 1 Bank
City 5: 208, 1 Bank
City 6: 784, 1 Bank
City 7: 4453, 3 banks
City 8: 4682, 3 Banks
City 9: 427, 1 bank
City 9a: 779, 1 Bank
City 9b: 249, 1 bank

City 10: 399, 1 bank
City 11: 284, 1 Bank
City 12: 2450, 3 banks
City 13: 1628, 2 Banks
City 14: 1064, 1 Bank
City 15: 2462, 2 Banks
City 16: 632, 2 Banks

Friday will be revisiting the 4 Solid Merc bank 1st, drop off some cookies in the morning and pick up all the CWR's they have while giving them unopened Brinks boxes as a replacement.

City 1: 10019, only hitting one of seven banks
City 2: 592, 1 bank
City 3: 4315, 3 Banks
City 4: 1090, 2 banks
City 5: 1028, 2 banks
City 6: 1780, 2 banks
City 7: 281, 1 bank
City 8: 4209, 4 banks
City 9: 1461, 1 bank
City 10: 67, 1 bank
City 11: 8327, 7 banks
City 12: 3775, 4 banks
City 13: 286, 1 bank
City 14: 162, 1 bank
City 15: 1314, 2 banks
City 16: 417, 1 bank
City 17: 507, 1 bank

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
well at least you ended your skunk streak with the half boxes.

I was only able to get one of my three half boxes I was expecting today and I'm half way through the box and so far it's a skunk.

Better luck to both of us the rest of the week. I'm hoping to get some cwr halves tomorrow from a couple of banks that I've had some good luck at lately.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
namster said:
I am up to 9 skunks this week, sure sucks.

On that bag, he probably saw a bunch of franklins....that would be my luck anyway. :BangHead:

The Vault teller used to CRH. I dont think that was the case though as the girl behind him shook her head yes when he mentioned the pesos. Knowing my luck, they were the new pesos with the silver centers!

We shall never know, perhaps we shall next week, we will see.

I decided to do the box of nickels I was saving for the weekend lol. 1 1920 Buffalo and a 1944 P war nickel. Just a little more for the collection.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverFace said:
well at least you ended your skunk streak with the half boxes.

I was only able to get one of my three half boxes I was expecting today and I'm half way through the box and so far it's a skunk.

Better luck to both of us the rest of the week. I'm hoping to get some cwr halves tomorrow from a couple of banks that I've had some good luck at lately.

That is the most important part. The two 40% halves came in the last row of 5 in the box so they made my trip otherwise it would have been a wasted trip. I brought home more in silver than I spent in gas, that is always a good day.

Well.. Tomorrow is small city CRH part 1. Got the GPS updated, just in case and the weather should be good. Hoping for a payoff. On a side note, I kicked it down at the local coin shop for a hour yesteday and was talking with the owner and he mentioned a guy who came down one time who scored big at one of the banks I plan on hitting tomorrow. Hopefully I can score big while I am up there. Gonna buy it all!

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
City 1: Stop was uneventful. The teller was not so friendly but I managed to get 3 rolls of CW Dimes. Was surprised to hear they dont have much wrapped coin being the only bank in town. Got Skunked.

City 2, Bank 1: Stopped in and asked if they had any halves, she said yes they did, how many did I want. I said I would take whatever you have. Turns out they just pulled the bag from their counter. She tells the vault manager and he is happy to see it go. There went almost half my funds lol. The bag ended up netting me 5/40% and 1 Franklin. Also a number of pennies, dimes, quarters and nickels.

City 2, Bank 2: I missed bank 2, I drove by it on accident and didnt turn around, I know I should have but I didnt. I will call up bank 1 on Monday and ask them if they could release the other bags. If they can, I will end up hitting them both as they are a side trip away from my Wednesday trip up north.
City 2, bank 3: Closed

City 3: Nothing

City 4, bank 1 : Nothing
City 4, Bank 2: Nothing
City 4, Bank 3: Nothing

City 5, Bank 1: Not a customer, get no coin.
City 5, bank 2: Nothing

City 6, bank 1: 10 rolls of CW Dimes, Skunked
City 6, bank 2: Could not find it
City 6, bank 3: Nothing
City 6, bank 4: Could not find it

Dumped my clad

City 7: 13 rolls of CW Halves, skunked

City 8: Nothing

City 9: Could not find the bank

City 10, bank 1: $3.50 loose from teller tray, 1/40%
City 10, bank 2: Nothing
City 10, bank 3: Nothing

City 11, bank 1: 1 roll CW Dimes, Skunked
City 11, bank 2: 30 rolls of CW Halves, Skunked except for a 1978 5 mark coin
City 11, bank 3: Nothing

City 12: nothing

City 13: Bypassed it

City 14: Bypassed it

City 15: 6 rolls of CW Halves, Skunked.

Dumped my clad and picked up a box of Brinks Dimes for my glory hole to trade for CWR Dimes.

On the way home a friend called, he was up in the city. He was calling to let me know he was paying me back and grabbed me $300 worth of CWR Dimes. Those netted me 2 Rosies.

So todays take was

2 Rosies
6/40%
1/90%
Possible 2 new banks to buy bags from coin machine.

Weeks total is

1 Merc
5 Rosies
9 - 40%
1 - 90%
1 - War
-----------------

Truth be told, if I can hit 4 oz this week I will be happy because that will keep me on track for my weekly goal.

New goal, 1.8171 oz tomorrow :D

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, run 2 about to start.

I have 2 boxes of dimes ready to trade for all the CWR's they have.

By the time I get home, I will have enough time to eat something before hitting up the auction tonight. Tonights auction includes

COINS & CURRENCY: 1885 BARBER (Morgan?) DOLLAR, 1909 & 1913

BARBER DIMES, 1887 SEATED LIBERTY DIME, 1853

HALF DIME, BUFFALO NICKELS, WHEAT PENNIES,

7-$1.00 SILVER CERTIFICATES, 4-RED SEAL $2.00 BILLS,

17-$2.00 BILLS

FRAMED SETS:"THE BICENTENNIAL COLLECTION

18TH, 19TH, & 20TH CENTURY", "THE TRAIL BLAZERS

14-BUFFALO NICKELS & STAMPS", 'THE PIONEERS

8-MERCURY DIMES & STAMPS", "THE FORTYNINERS

7-LIBERTY NICKELS & STAMPS", "THE AMERICAN

INDIAN 8-INDIAN HEAD PENNIES & STAMPS",

Ill be going for all the coin, I have enough currency unless I can get the silver certificates for $1 ea.

Than I have a bag of dimes to buy on Saturday so todays trip wont be covered until tomorrow morning. With so few ounces needed for a total of 4, I think I might have this covered, I can at least buy at the auction if the price is right. Its going to be a 13-14 hour day for me and I have lots to do before I leave so wish me luck.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Road Trip Day 2.

Started off the day by hitting up the bank that gave me the 4 rolls of Mercury Dime. Walked in with some Butterscotch Haystacks and a package of doughnuts for the tellers who were all super happy and telling me I didnt need to do that. I proceeded to get the rest of their CWR's while I was there, which included another 4 old rolls of dimes. Sadly, not a single one paid off.

City 1, Bank 1: 33 rolls of CW Dimes, Skunked.

I could not hit City 2, bank or City 3 because the offramps are being redone and to get there would have taken me 10 miles one way out of my way, 20 miles round trip.

Cities 2 and 3, N/A

City 4 bank 1 I could not find and bank 2 had nothing.

City 5 was good to me. Bank 1 had $3.50 loose, nothing ( one looked like it had the yellow patina of silver but it wasnt ) but the 20 rolls of CW Dimes netted me 2 Rosies.
Bank 2 did well with 90 rolls CW Dimes. They dont have a coin counter so customers have to bring in all their dimes rolled. That gave me 3 Rosies.

City 6 bank 1 gave me 30 CW Dimes, skunked
Bank 2 gave me 20 dimes which skunked. What was cool was the lady gave me the bottom of the dime box, I thought I already had a bottom so I asked for a spare top instead. I should have went and checked in the car. Now I have 2 tops :(

City 7 I had to skip because I was running out of time.

City 8 Bank 1 had nothing
Bank 2 I could not find
bank 3 had 10 rolls of CW Dimes, skunked
Bank 4 Nothing

City 9, Nothing

City 10 could not find the bank. The GPS told me to take a right onto a dirt road into a foreboding Forrest. I decided not to go that route.

City 11 I only used as a dump. Took me almost an hour to dump maybe $500 worth of dimes. They were rolling the dimes with their coin machine as it was dumping. They ended up running out of rolls, I finally dumped the rest of the dimes today. I still had $784 in dimes in my bag, I had received about $500 cash from what they had done there lol.

City 12 I skipped due to running out of time and wanting to get to some smaller towns

City 13 I skipped

City 14 I skipped

City 15 Both banks were closed by 3pm on a damned Friday!

City 16 bank was closed

City 17 Bank was closed

So.. $25 in gas netted me 5 Rosies. One bank, I dont recall which one, said that they had just sold $74 in halves the day before so I missed out on that.

I went home, got some food and jumped right back into the car to go to the auction. 6pm I am there inspecting the coin and jewelry.

1885 No mint mark Morgan Dollar went for $47.50
half dime went for $6
Seated dime went for $7
Barber dimes went for $6 ea
I picked up a 1884 6 pence for $1 :)
Misc other coins went for too much.

Two sterling necklaces, both weighing in at a quarter of an ounce went for $12 ea. $8 total over melt.
One sterling mason locket, went for $27, it weighed in at half an ounce.

Over all everyone paid too much for what they got, except for me. I underpaid on the foreign coinage. Not sure standing around for 3 hours is winning but I felt like I had won :D

I did make a contact, some older lady who inherited her fathers coin collection. She is interested in buying some of my Barber and Seated dimes off me or trading me for equal in melt value for Rosies. I might make a little extra in oz's when we are done. As stated, I am not in it for the collectors value. I will happily trade a valuable collectors coin for junk silver of equal value. More ozt is what matters to me.

So.. the weeks totals were pretty sad.

1 - Merc Dime
10 - Roosevelt Dime
9 - 40% Kennedy
1 - Franklin
1 - War Nickel
1 - 1884 6 Pence

2.6184 ozt

The numbers might change a little. I am going to hit up one of my buy banks and try to get a box of nickels and cents for the 3 day weekend.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
you're a busy and dedicated hunter. Seems like those auctions get top dollar. So do you have many barber and seated dimes to trade for junk silver?

I haven't had too much luck this week either. I was out this morning to dump some halves and picked up $200 in loose string half rolls from one bank, $90 in cwr halves from another bank and $100 in cwr dimes from another bank.

Btw, just to let everybody know Chase bank is open on Mon. (at least where I live) and I've got 2 half boxes waiting for me to p/u from one branch on Mon. :)

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverFace said:
you're a busy and dedicated hunter. Seems like those auctions get top dollar. So do you have many barber and seated dimes to trade for junk silver?

I haven't had too much luck this week either. I was out this morning to dump some halves and picked up $200 in loose string half rolls from one bank, $90 in cwr halves from another bank and $100 in cwr dimes from another bank.

Btw, just to let everybody know Chase bank is open on Mon. (at least where I live) and I've got 2 half boxes waiting for me to p/u from one branch on Mon. :)

Yep, I have 10 barber dimes and 2 Seated Dimes. I picked them up for $2 each, they were my first silver I bought, got them from a pawn shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread