Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does he still have that SPAS-12? They sell for quite a bit now.
I would you are talking about the SPAS pistol grip folding stock switchable from pump to semi auto? (on California BAN list of course) This is an Awesome shot gun. They do make more than one SPAS 12 all are pretty reliable but the switchable pump auto is the best thing since sliced Bread

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think to be fair we should perhaps focus on the well meaning part of the op's intention. As I read it he's debunking stunguns as treatment for snakebite. I dont think it was kids vs dogs.

That said, where I live I have the delightful Puff Adder everywhere I detect....they play dead and wont move out the way (yet are very fast strikers when need be) move at about 1/2 walking pace and normally kill you if you are 6 hours from help. Lets face it, it adds a little sizzle to detecting - it's all good sport!

To be honest though I spend as much time in nature as possible so my movement detection, animal/ human/ insect /tracking, weather spotting, tree /plant identification is pretty much on point.

chub
Sounds like you need a Smith & Wesson Governor with some number 6 high base

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would you are talking about the SPAS pistol grip folding stock switchable from pump to semi auto? (on California BAN list of course) This is an Awesome shot gun. They do make more than one SPAS 12 all are pretty reliable but the switchable pump auto is the best thing since sliced Bread

Yes, the old arm hook folders. Pump/semi.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one when they came out. Over the counter for 385 bucks. I took it out to Lyle Creek to shoot it. It was Heavy on the draw but as you fired it in semi, It lightened up. The nose became light as a feather. The balance was perfect. A guy out there offered me 600 for it on the spot and I took it. (Just go buy another for 385 right?) Before I could get another it went on the ban list. I miss it to this day. Just over the Arizona or Nevada border out of reach. SNIFF!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one when they came out. Over the counter for 385 bucks. I took it out to Lyle Creek to shoot it. It was Heavy on the draw but as you fired it in semi, It lightened up. The nose became light as a feather. The balance was perfect. A guy out there offered me 600 for it on the spot and I took it. (Just go buy another for 385 right?) Before I could get another it went on the ban list. I miss it to this day. Just over the Arizona or Nevada border out of reach. SNIFF!

Damn. Believe it or not back in the day a lot of the importers of the real cool stuff were in CA. My oh my how times have changed. Id be an instant felon if I moved to your state with my possessions. :sadsmiley:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tragically that one was banned and " bought back" by the government in Australia as part of the 1996 or 7 (?) disarming of Australia. A knee jerk reaction of the Port Arthur massacre. Of which some say was a false flag exercise designed to disarm the nation. Google away and make up your own mind. The guy got 95% head shot rate shooting from the hip?? Included in the buy back was our SKK. I discovered (in pre internet days) that putting in a long 6x1mm bolt in the front trigger guard hole lifted the sear turning it from semi to full auto. Disarming Australia was really the beginning of the end ... the start of the nanny state that it has become today....need a liscence for a air rifle, slingshots illegal, throwing stars illegal, home use fireworks, even riding a bicycle without a helmet is illegal!!

sorry for the thread hijack.
Yes the franchi spas was the removable stock version. I believe the alley clearer choke was an option?

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote - I believe thats how safeties actually work-

Nope, the gun discharged as the safety was released (effectivley turning the safety into another trigger).

Chub

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right I never had kids, except for the four legged kind.. But what I was trying to confir, is that my pets are very dear to me and I consider them a part of my family. Call me cold hearted but I cried more like over my dogs dieing than I did for my father. We were not close at all. My wife used to think we need to save the rattlers, becuase " we moved into their home" she would say. She had a brush with one, and quickly changed her mind. Any rattler I find will be a dead one in short order. All the other non venomous ones I find, I bring home to control the rodents. Ranches get a lot of mice.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kill every damned, poisonous one that I run across so nothing gets bitten! PETA can go to Hell too and anybody else if they don't like it! :cussing:
I believe the CA law on venomous snakes here is ..... They are open season, day or night, any method, all year round. Haven't checked in just over a year, though. Check out www.venomlocc.com for a viable snake bite first aid method. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dogs as important as Children??????????????????????//:BangHead:
What Planet are you from?
Marvin
My only son passed in 2010. I would gladly give up every animal I ever owned to have him back. No contest. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I shot one in the house once.... that, um went surprisingly well....I put it outside then had to go and collect a new TV. Came back and the snake had gone! Turns out it was still allive?! WTH? anyway ended up cutting it in half (just to make sure) ha ha

Another time back in the mid 90s I had a bag of chicken feed on the back porch...that attracted some mice...that attracted a big red bellied black snake.(lived in Australia) It was living under the dog house next to the feed. My brother had a Franchi spas (spelling?) ready. The plan was for me to lift the dog house with a pole while he emptied the spas into the snake nest. It all went well until I lifted the dog house...lets just say my brother didnt get a shot off before the snake raced off at high speed! On a side note the franchi spas had a terrible flaw. If you pulled the trigger when the safety was on it didnt fire....but ....when you put the safety off it fired the round off!! Would not recommend.

Chub
I see a firearms training/re-training course in your future. ANY firearm that did/does what yours did will never be in my cabinet/closet. ╦╦Ç

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My state game warden informs me that all snakes are federally protected.
And that he kills every rattler and copperhead that he comes across.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a firearms training/re-training course in your future. ANY firearm that did/does what yours did will never be in my cabinet/closet. ╦╦Ç

It was 20 years ago... the gun is gone.....the snake is dead ...and my hair is grey....

Chub

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn. Believe it or not back in the day a lot of the importers of the real cool stuff were in CA. My oh my how times have changed. Id be an instant felon if I moved to your state with my possessions. :sadsmiley:
Believe it or not, you can grandfather in things that you own prior to moving here. (Except fully auto, silencers and AK and AR15 AR10) But why oh why would you want to do that? :)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tragically that one was banned and " bought back" by the government in Australia as part of the 1996 or 7 (?) disarming of Australia. A knee jerk reaction of the Port Arthur massacre. Of which some say was a false flag exercise designed to disarm the nation. Google away and make up your own mind. The guy got 95% head shot rate shooting from the hip?? Included in the buy back was our SKK. I discovered (in pre internet days) that putting in a long 6x1mm bolt in the front trigger guard hole lifted the sear turning it from semi to full auto. Disarming Australia was really the beginning of the end ... the start of the nanny state that it has become today....need a liscence for a air rifle, slingshots illegal, throwing stars illegal, home use fireworks, even riding a bicycle without a helmet is illegal!!

sorry for the thread hijack.
Yes the franchi spas was the removable stock version. I believe the alley clearer choke was an option?

Chub
The gun came with three barrels Full Mod and USA Football shaped patterns. Truly a Street sweeper in the football barrel. I need to stop typing as this is making me cry. I really miss that shotgun. Might have some personal issues! California Recently banned the AR 15 and AR10's with features. I am glad to have loaded up before the ban. They do not do buybacks they grandfathered them in. SO they can never be sold but possessed till you die.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, you can grandfather in things that you own prior to moving here. (Except fully auto, silencers and AK and AR15 AR10) But why oh why would you want to do that? :)

That's a no-go for me then. But I'm just fine here in TX. 8-)

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was 20 years ago... the gun is gone.....the snake is dead ...and my hair is grey....

Chub

I hear there are a few Aussies that water their "gardens" with oil...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread