Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did a thread on snakes become guns? Ya got to admit guns against snakes is is overkill not worth discussion.
I mean ya don't even need to be a good shot unless maybe a pistol at 20 paces.
Anyway there is storied here that a dog bit by rattlesnake will probably be OK. Not sure how that story started but
it's part of rural lore here. Kind of like "It's good you got the dog some anti-venom but he probably would have been
fine." Or so my friend was told. He was a tad put off as he thought he could have saved some money.
Maybe it's a simple as some people also pull through. Maybe some money could be saved and wait to see what happens
to them.

I mean ya don't even need to be a good shot unless maybe a pistol at 20 paces. Have you ever shot a snake? If you are a good shot its different, but I would not ever say you don't need to be a good shot to hit one. I prefer number 6 high base 20 GA or 410 from a Smith governor (or a Judge) I like it ez and lethal. One of the last things I want to miss is a poisonous snake. and it is pretty easy I think to see how this thread turned to guns. It is in my opinion the safest way to dispatch them. When I was a little younger we would hunt the rattlers with a 6 foot close rod dowel We would strike them so they were stretched out and put the dowel on the back of their head. After they were pinned we would walk on top of the dowel and cut their heads off. The heads would strike the next day if handled so you still had to be very careful. Rattlesnake is delicious eating BTW and once when hunting with a friend from Peru we caught a very large one. He took the head and placed it in a leather bag. We cooked and ate the snake. When we got home the next day, he took the head and rolled it like a joint in a leather square about 10 x 10 inches until it was small and round like a cigar. He took a fresh bottle of Tequilla and with the leather a Wood dowel of the same size and a mallet, drove the head into the tequila bottle. He placed it on the shelf and told us not to touch it. 30 days later he took it down and we all had One and ONLY one shot of it. It made me feel Numb and I could hardly move my arms. Chalk that up to dumb stuff we did. But apparently this is a thing in Peru.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mean ya don't even need to be a good shot unless maybe a pistol at 20 paces. Have you ever shot a snake? If you are a good shot its different, but I would not ever say you don't need to be a good shot to hit one. I prefer number 6 high base 20 GA or 410 from a Smith governor (or a Judge) I like it ez and lethal. One of the last things I want to miss is a poisonous snake. and it is pretty easy I think to see how this thread turned to guns. It is in my opinion the safest way to dispatch them. When I was a little younger we would hunt the rattlers with a 6 foot close rod dowel We would strike them so they were stretched out and put the dowel on the back of their head. After they were pinned we would walk on top of the dowel and cut their heads off. The heads would strike the next day if handled so you still had to be very careful. Rattlesnake is delicious eating BTW and once when hunting with a friend from Peru we caught a very large one. He took the head and placed it in a leather bag. We cooked and ate the snake. When we got home the next day, he took the head and rolled it like a joint in a leather square about 10 x 10 inches until it was small and round like a cigar. He took a fresh bottle of Tequilla and with the leather a Wood dowel of the same size and a mallet, drove the head into the tequila bottle. He placed it on the shelf and told us not to touch it. 30 days later he took it down and we all had One and ONLY one shot of it. It made me feel Numb and I could hardly move my arms. Chalk that up to dumb stuff we did. But apparently this is a thing in Peru.
He's right, T. We need to get back on topic. I probably started the side track as I am passionate about my guns and talk them up at every opportunity. As for the anti-venom/stun gun topic, I wish to believe the jury is still out on the stun gun therapy. ╦╦Ç

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense taken!
I often think -and am so surprised- that we survived all the crazy choices we made as kids. We had a copy of the anarchist cookbook , poor mans james bond etc some other good reads from palladin press. Not sure if they are still around? Anyway we made some touch powder... my brother used to put it all over my motorbike (on the clutch, break etc ) so when I went to work it would sound like a cap gun with ever action. Anyway....we mixed it in a prescription bottle....with a label...with our name on it(dumb). we'd been letting this stuff off after some beers at a public look out along with a lemon cannon etc.. long day and the bottle was laying on its side and we forgot it....then remembered it some time later so I said I would pic it up the next day.... whent to pick it up and thought I had better throw a rock onto the bottle to see if there was anything left....the rock hit the bottle...huge explosion that shattered the rock. So yes, narrowly avoided turning my hand into a handburger.

Have a thousand plus crazy stories.... luckily we mellow and wisen with age.

Chub

The Good Lord watches over little kids and fools....he's watched over this one plenty!!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread