So Im going to buy a bazooka

OP
OP
A

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tweeta, you can slump mold ABS plastic by building a wood form laying your sheet of ABS on top and heating to around 235 degrees. Commercial operations vacuum form for more detail and extreme shapes. Shouldn't be to hard even if you just build a wood form and use a heat gun get it hot enough to bend over your edges. You could always use black HDPE plastic as well, it can be welded with the right tools. If it were me I'd try forming ABS, heck I think I have a small scrape sheet laying around, I will hit it with the heat gun and see what results I get trying to form it. I'd toss it in the oven over a mold but stinking up the house wouldn't make my wife to happy!

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
do you think the ABS is cheaper then aluminum. where would i get that stuff? i dont think home depot carries it.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
im figuring out the size of piece i need. got a question. the top side of the sluice is 14"s wide im figuring an 18" skid plate/deck, how wide should i make the flare mouth? im thinking 24"s wide. oh yeah im making this for my 36" prospector.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
just called the plastic place and the piece is only gonna cost me $22.63! and its the same exact material as the sluice!

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
step one done!

Attachments

• image-3431120705.jpg
    image-3431120705.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
A

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want larger sheets cruise the web for plastic supply companies. You can get it real cheap. What kills me is shipping, but being in the lower states ground shipping could get you 4'x 8' sheets for cheap money. I build a lot of things out of all types of plastics, my miller table I just got some building is out of UHMW. I'm currently building a larger plastic sluice that will be a recirc for the garage. How thick of material are you going to use, 1/8, 3/16"?

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
McMaster Carr has everything, and their web page is awesome. There is explanation of all materials with specs and cad drawings for most things.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
i got 3/16 and ill mark it and cut it then just go back where i bought it and pay him $20 to bend it for me with his heat rod bender... i think thats what he called it.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
this just goes to show how strong your bazooka gold trap is... this is a piece of ABS material that im bending almost in half!

Attachments

• image-2902680496.jpg
    image-2902680496.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 132

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tweeta - The water flare looks cool. Great idea. A person could mount a leave screen to the bottom section of this flare. That way I could have a visual on what was going into the tubes. Kind of a "weed grizzly" for the fluid box. (Pardon the pun - weed) As I understand it is a common word used in Colorado today, lol. Ok enough of that - the flare really does not need to be attached to the super Mini, it is only to be used as a booster of water flow. A friction fit would be all that was needed. A person could place it even at a downward angle to yet increase the flow of the water. I wonder if a person has to be careful not to overload/flood the fluid box. Maybe to much thought at this point. Post pics/video when the smoke clears. Good idea.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
weed, weed, weed... pun? is that something you smoke it out of? now back to prospecting... i just dropped if off today to have it bent. im hoping to get it back for the wk end and i wiill post pics and videos!

OP
OP
A

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get back soon, I would like to see the results of their bending.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
just got the call and my piece is ready. when i was down there dropping it off the guy said someone else brought a gold prospecting equipment in to get bent... it was an aluminum piece he called a diffuser.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One mod I see that would help is to add a feeding hopper that would slip over the top end of the bazooka slick plate, as a safety to prevent spilling some of the material off the front edge of the sluice or even over the sides for that matter. Ive accidentally done that more than once while speed shoveling. I can picture that being an issue with the scoop addition as any spilled material off the front edge would be washed into the fluidizing chamber.

Would be a cheap and easy mod to make so I suppose I'll fabricate one and post a photo.

GG~

Here it is...................

hopper4.jpg hopper7.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread