So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even if the cartels stop screwing their customers, this hobby will not get much more popular......

I wouldn't call the manufacturer's "cartels" when was the last time a cartel gave you a lifetime warranty, resale, and just enjoyment? If the machines were cheap lots of kids, homeless people, ect would have one and be out digging up lots of good stuff and leaving holes everywhere and there would be bans on detecting in way more places. You need to be serious about the hobby if your going to spend what it takes to get something above a toy grade machine...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
El Pardon,
Have you ever bought a Tesoro? Just curious what your opinion is on build quality vs ML?
I have not Fletch, I'm only about two years into the hobby, but many more then that into life.....
I think thats why I can speak from a consumer perspective. I learn more and more here every day, But I knew from the first hour I used and held my first cheaply made metal detector, (hint it was a also a Garret) that this industry operated at margins considered virtually impossible to achieve in almost any other consumer electronics category.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Your the one who said it cost $20 to produce, I said prove it, otherwise your just blowing smoke

No, I have no Idea about electronics. I only built my last 3 computers, I only install and repair the latest Cisco routers used for voice and data....

I have only taken apart my current Sov GT 3 or 4 times, my water proof Sov GT at least that many times before selling it, been inside my excals several times....

My hunting partner is an electronic wizzard who built and runs Minelab repair center for Kellyco....

No I have never seen the inside of metal detectors. ROFLMBO

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
Well I'm just going by its performance and the fact that it doesn't cost more then $5 total to mass produce all the rest of the parts it is comprised of.
Thats a fact, As far as the case its in, I've bought food in better constructed packaging.

So once again I have to ask you, What is in it? Do you know? There is no shame in not knowing, because no one else does either......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will answer your question when you produce the proof that they cost $20 to manufacture like you stated......

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the bells and whistles is what's holding back faster processor speeds, that's why I wanted the sovereign, no bells and such, just pure power, and that's the issue, until somebody invents better batteries, then recovery speed will probably suffer on the fancy machines, for example, my laptop, pretty high end, if I ran it on battery, at full performance, I'd be lucky to get 90 minutes use out of it, sure they could do that to a detector, but how many people are gonna buy a 90 minute metal detector, makes me love my old fisher, it does not have modern filters to handle all the EMI, so it suffers, but in the old days it could hitva dime solid at 12 inches, and the batteries would last 40 hours or more.
My explorer get 4-6 hours on a set of batteries, but is also worthless around all the EMI, even with the sensitivity set to zero it falses constantly..bleh!!
Or maybe its because I can't figure out how to use it..dunno.

Mike

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't call the manufacturer's "cartels" when was the last time a cartel gave you a lifetime warranty, resale, and just enjoyment? If the machines were cheap lots of kids, homeless people, ect would have one and be out digging up lots of good stuff and leaving holes everywhere and there would be bans on detecting in way more places. You need to be serious about the hobby if your going to spend what it takes to get something above a toy grade machine...

sent from a potato...

Merriam Websters's dictionary, Cartel - A Combination of independent business enterprises designed to limit competition.
In this case that is effectively done by a closely held dealer network and huge phycologically driven advertising campaigns and budgets .

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac and CTX are the smoothest machines I've ever used around EMI sources. Noise cancel, auto sens and they are quiet as a mouse. Also have used both for 2 days on same charge and had battery leftover. Duno?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the Sov GT Mike. ..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac and CTX are the smoothest machines I've ever used around EMI sources. Noise cancel, auto sens and they are quiet as a mouse. Also have used both for 2 days on same charge and had battery leftover. Duno?

I own the ETRAC but not the CTX but everyone I personally know that owns one loves it ..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't afford it unfortunately TH, so I shared the link to craigslist its on, in everything else forum at least maybe one of the cool guys or gals on here can get a sweet deal...yeah I'm bummed bad. Mike

That's a bummer! I thought it was a done deal.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Mike, I feel bad for you. There's got to be a way you can get it. Where there's a will there's a way...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will answer your question when you produce the proof that they cost $20 to manufacture like you stated......

Consider the price of what other similar items are produced and sell for in a retail environment,
The fact it is made of the cheapest materials that could possibly hold it together.
It doesn't work that well and yet has sold in record numbers due to dealer kickbacks and unprecedented advertising.
You yourself with a lifetime of electronics experience still have no clue pertaining to its actual electrical components.
The discounted price of extremely high volume raw material and cheap outdated electronic components
It would be certainly be revealed as a selling point if every component in it wasn't comprised of the cheapest most outdated technology that the manufacturer can possibly get away with using.... Yet no one has a clue what drives it.
The unbelievably low cost of outdated electronics.
Last but not least, considering I am a self made, well educated, "outside the box", financially independent business man with a lifetime of value conscious decision making experience,

If I say its being built for less then $20 a unit, You can pretty much bank on it....

Do you want an itemized part list and the name of the factories in China? LOL

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New ctx3030 & Sand Shark Dealer Ad:

SandShark! CTX3030! From the absolute worst machine on the market to the absolute best machine on the market! Depending on who you ask, you'll cover the entire field when you buy one of these babies! Why buy anything else! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in other words you can't produce it or prove it... Excuse me if I don't bank on it.....

As stated many times detectors are sold to a very LIMITED market....

I personally only care about how they perform... I currently own 2 excals, a ETrac, a Sov GT and Fisher 1235X... They all perform perfectly for me and all but the ETrac has paid for itself, ETrac has been used least so it hasn't paid for itself yet.

I could sell either one of the custom excals, ETrac or Fisher or all and and get all my money back that I paid for them so just how much have they truly cost me...

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wifey won't give in..I should sell her to the pirates, she's so hot, she has caused accidents when walking down the street with me, men have heart attacks with a single glance, time stands still when she looks at a clock..and she is smarter then all of us men combined..and that's scary, plus she was born and raised in Tennessee, so she cooks really good lol, loves working on our car, floors the guys at parts stores when she tells them she fixes things, loves to camp and fish and swings a coil fairly well, heck I could get a CTX for that muwhaha..know any pirates ?

Mike

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So in other words you can't produce it or prove it...

All things considered, it's reasonable to note that I already have.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wifey won't give in..I should sell her to the pirates, she's so hot, she has caused accidents when walking down the street with me, men have heart attacks with a single glance, time stands still when she looks at a clock..and she is smarter then all of us men combined..and that's scary, plus she was born and raised in Tennessee, so she cooks really good lol, loves working on our car, floors the guys at parts stores when she tells them she fixes things, loves to camp and fish and swings a coil fairly well, heck I could get a CTX for that muwhaha..know any pirates ?

Mike

Nah, you don't have to sell her. Just pawn! Lol

sent from a potato...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All things considered, it's reasonable to note that I already have.

You haven't proven squat but if it makes you feel important have at it....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
El padron, I am amazed by how much your invested in this. Are you not upset with high prices on anything else? What about high taxes?

sent from a potato...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions