So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming this thread was intended to address/question the cost of the CTX 3030, what's the point? Some have purchased the machine and didn't care for it, others have purchased the machine and love it. The real value resides in the hand of the user, that's ultimately what determines the value of anything. By comparison, if I purchased a new Excal, added all the new mods I have now, plus the new extra coils.....guess what.....I'd be very near that $2400 mark. Do I feel it's all worth it? Absolutely, because it serves my hunting style and requirements very well. Live and let live, do what works best for you. Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Do you want to pay for a lot of 'options', or maybe just good basic target location.
I confess I bought my XLT because of Whites reputation. It was there top model and had a lot of 'options' included that I rarely use. Generally I just turn it on, look at the voltage displayed, hit the button twice to ground balance and select coins and jewelry program and hunt. When it tones, I pull the trigger and get the depth and exact location. I don't need to update to a newer model because it would not improve my depth or locating capability. I don't need a color screen or multi frequencies. I am out there to find things, not waste a lot of time playing with adjustments.

I admit I checked out the ATX. I saw the instruction vid. I love it's fold up construction, but think they over complicated the operation. My Surfmaster PI will go down 4' for a large target and I doubt that the ATX will go deeper. I just turn on my Surfmaster PI by setting the 2 knobs to the preset locations and hunt. I dislike a detector that has to be constantly tuned to get results. I check all targets on the beach or while prospecting. I am beginning to think that they think if there are a lot of adjustments they can charge more. Just my opinion, Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

speeddemon94

Apr 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has been a riot. I sure do love the free market system.

A couple of weeks ago I started doing the research and I've decided that the 3030 is the machine I WANT...I dont need it, but I like the way it works and looks, so I'm going to sell off one of my long range rifles to fund the purchase, not to mention getting a 17" Smart Coil thrown in for free does not hurt at all. Yeah, 2500 is expensive, but ultimately, I want it, it'll do everything I want and probably more, so I'll have it, and I'll be happy with the money spent.

I'm a retired disabled veteran, anything that gets me out and doing something that I enjoy and doesn't hurt me is worth every penny.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only other machine I know of that has witnessed so much debate, rebuttal, attack and praise is the Sand Shark. I don't know why people feel the need to defend their choice in machines? If it works for you and you're consistently slipping goodies into your pocket/pouch why bother going out of your way to defend or promote your choice of machines? Just keep swinging and slipping those goodies into your pocket.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what the second coil is, am really wondering why selling it so cheap, it looks new, but it could have been dunked, and be faulty, I have no clue how to tell if its working right or not.

Mike
Well congrats, not just because I own one. It has quite a learning curve, but after a while it teaches you its "language" The GT has been improved upon for quite a while and dealers still sell them new for $950 all day. Your going to find all kinds good stuff with it.
Note:, A while back I posted about a condition pertaining to where the coil cable leaves the control box.
Its a bad design and sometimes that exact location takes the full weight of the machine depending ion how you store it / lay it down....

Check that spot when you get yours to be sure the case hasn't fractured at that location.
That said congrats again....

Last edited:

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
People that are soooooo against the expensive machines don't quit understand the overhead businesses have. There is not a huge market for this hobby. Minelab, whites, xp dues, ect. all have overhead. They have employees, marketing, ect. Garrett brand has many other divisions within its company which allows a tad bit cheaper prices. I have learned in life a complainer is always a complainer! No one can ever change there mind. If a person has the best hunting capabilities with a cheaper model more power to them. I could careless if i pay 2 grand for a detector cause if i was smart enough to to start a business i would also sell them for the same price. If you don't like the prices start up a new brand and sell them cheap. I know everyone in the detecting world would be happy to buy one if you can make one like these people talk about. All the options for 300 and it works like the big companies. Sign me up if it can be done.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
This thread has been a riot. I sure do love the free market system.

A couple of weeks ago I started doing the research and I've decided that the 3030 is the machine I WANT...I dont need it, but I like the way it works and looks, so I'm going to sell off one of my long range rifles to fund the purchase, not to mention getting a 17" Smart Coil thrown in for free does not hurt at all. Yeah, 2500 is expensive, but ultimately, I want it, it'll do everything I want and probably more, so I'll have it, and I'll be happy with the money spent.

I'm a retired disabled veteran, anything that gets me out and doing something that I enjoy and doesn't hurt me is worth every penny.

First off, no detector will do everything. Second that 17" coil has balance penalties your back will pay. Just a word of advice! Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The only other machine I know of that has witnessed so much debate, rebuttal, attack and praise is the Sand Shark. I don't know why people feel the need to defend their choice in machines? If it works for you and you're consistently slipping goodies into your pocket/pouch why bother going out of your way to defend or promote your choice of machines? Just keep swinging and slipping those goodies into your pocket.

I agree with you, but some of us like to help out others by informing them of a good thing or method that has worked out well for us. Just a thought, Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
People that are soooooo against the expensive machines don't quit understand the overhead businesses have. There is not a huge market for this hobby. Minelab, whites, xp dues, ect. all have overhead. They have employees, marketing, ect. Garrett brand has many other divisions within its company which allows a tad bit cheaper prices. I have learned in life a complainer is always a complainer! No one can ever change there mind. If a person has the best hunting capabilities with a cheaper model more power to them. I could careless if i pay 2 grand for a detector cause if i was smart enough to to start a business i would also sell them for the same price. If you don't like the prices start up a new brand and sell them cheap. I know everyone in the detecting world would be happy to buy one if you can make one like these people talk about. All the options for 300 and it works like the big companies. Sign me up if it can be done.

Let's face it. You buy a detector to detect, nothing else. Most brand names will go down as far as most people want to dig.
For a comparison lets use cars. Most people buy a car to get from point A to point B, nothing more.
Now here's the kicker. Some people have to have that Cadillac or BMW badge on the front. To be Frank, in most cases, the Chevy will get you there just as quickly. Think about it! Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted parks with a 15" WOT coil with no problems...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17 inch coil ?!?!! Holy! Doubt that monster would work in a park, but them old home sites, bet that can hit a jar sized cache at 4 feet!

Mike

True, large coils can/do add a little more depth, but mostly it's a coverage issue. A machine only has so much power output, this being the ultimate factor on just how deep, or how strongly the send and returns can be. Sure, the larger and denser the target the deeper it can be detected because it produces stronger returns. But with everything else being equal the difference between a 10" coil and say a 17" coil using the same power supply is only a matter of inches, not feet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, large coils can/do add a little more depth, but mostly it's a coverage issue. A machine only has so much power output, this being the ultimate factor on just how deep, or how strongly the send and returns can be. Sure, the larger and denser the target the deeper it can be detected because it produces stronger returns. But with everything else being equal the difference between a 10" coil and say a 17" coil using the same power supply is only a matter of inches, not feet.

Scoop, I am getting more than a few inches on my 15x18 SEF Butterfly coil on my Sov GT and even my Excals with the 15 inch coils on small targets.

I have recovered good targets at 20 inches on the 15x18 SEF hunting in reverse discrimination

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop, I am getting more than a few inches on my 15x18 SEF Butterfly coil on my Sov GT and even my Excals with the 15 inch coils on small targets.

I have recovered good targets at 20 inches on the 15x18 SEF hunting in reverse discrimination

Right, but we're not talking "feet" of improved depth. With my 8" maxed out and the mods, and on many typical targets, I can hit 14 -16" in the absolute right conditions with weak but fair responses. With the 15 x 18 SEF in the same perfect conditions "maybe" 20 - 22 max depending on the target. A big jump in inches for sure, but still just inches. Put a bigger/denser target down there,(like a manhole cover :laughing7:), add a few more inches. This is in a saltwater/wet sand environment.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your getting same as me... I get 20+ on my 15x18" coil and your correct signal is weak BUT it is a detectable signal. .. I am getting 15-18 on my 15 inch coils..... I was only getting maybe 12 inches on 10 inch coils .

8"-12" inches extra depth is a big advantage.....

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
You do realize the 3030 already has full color display, GPS, wireless module and 9 different languages to choose from....

TH, Thank you for your service... Both to our country and here....
Yes I've had the opportunity to use one for several hours during a recent trip to Texas. The CTX feels and performs well but the color screen is not visible in sunlight, also most 12 dollar cell phones have that same feature. GPS's were 39.95 at Frys last weekend I paid $820 for my first GPS in 2002, but today that hardly qualifies as updated technology. The GPS function is a gimmick that costs little to nothing to add to a basic platform. Niether does the wireless module. That technology just makes sense.
GPS would be invaluable in mapping a virgin spill or battle site, but the vast majority of people that own a CTX have never and will never use that particular function

Its a good solid machine, I didn't have the opportunity to spend as much time on it as I would have liked to. I was pleasantly surprised pertaining to its ID and discrimination features . Still at $2500 its amazingly overpriced. Thats a lot of money for someone that has worked for it or does not intend to write off their credit card balance in a chapter 7 BK.

Last edited:

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Forgive my ignorance but what is reverse discrimantion?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, Thank you for your service... Both to our country and here....
Yes I've had the opportunity to use one for several hours during a recent trip to Texas. The CTX feels and performs well but the color screen is not visible in sunlight, also most 12 dollar cell phones have that same feature. GPS's were 39.95 at Frys last weekend I paid $820 for my first GPS in 2002, but today that hardly qualifies as updated technology. The GPS function is a gimmick that costs little to nothing to add to a basic platform. Niether does the wireless module. That technology just makes sense.
GPS would be invaluable in mapping a virgin spill or battle site, but the vast majority of people that own a CTX have never and will never use that particular function

Its a good solid machine, I didn't have the opportunity to spend as much time on it as I would have liked to. I was pleasantly surprised pertaining to its ID and discrimination features . Still at $2500 its amazingly overpriced. Thats a lot of money for someone that has worked for it or does not intend to write off their credit card balance in a chapter 7 BK.

As i stated several times the cost is relative and its only $2500 if you keep it for the rest of your life.....

I have sold several detectors I bought used and never sold them for less than I paid give or take $50 and that doesn't include the finds...

If you pay $2500 and sell it 2 years from now if you take care of it you should still recover $1800-$2000...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread