So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive my ignorance but what is reverse discrimantion?

Reverse descrimination is hunting in pinpoint and switching to descrimination when you get a signal to see if it nulls for iron, then back to pp..... You get more depth on pp than descrimination...

I have mod on my excals that has waterproof switches on the hand grip so it is just a flip of switch with thumb to switch from pinpoint to sec and back to pp..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
People that are soooooo against the expensive machines don't quit understand the overhead businesses have. There is not a huge market for this hobby. Minelab, whites, xp dues, ect. all have overhead. They have employees, marketing, ect. Garrett brand has many other divisions within its company which allows a tad bit cheaper prices. I have learned in life a complainer is always a complainer! No one can ever change there mind. If a person has the best hunting capabilities with a cheaper model more power to them. I could careless if i pay 2 grand for a detector cause if i was smart enough to to start a business i would also sell them for the same price. If you don't like the prices start up a new brand and sell them cheap. I know everyone in the detecting world would be happy to buy one if you can make one like these people talk about. All the options for 300 and it works like the big companies. Sign me up if it can be done.

Hold an AT pro in your hand and tell me how good you feel about your $600 purchase..
Every business has overhead. This industry is huge, It is stand alone, and it is experiencing an absolute worldwide renaissance.
There is a huge worldwide market. Absolutely huge. Once again, a huge WORLDWIDE market. The big 3 metal detector cartels are making hundreds of millions of dollars. They have never ever seen times like this. They are absolutely as amazed as I am that they can take their old technology, add a $20 GPS module, color screen, a USB port and sell it for $2500 to people that have no idea what it is they are buying. They are amazed that people like you will pay that much money for something that costs them so little to innovate and ultimately produce. They are amazed that you will defend your purchase even after you realize just how much passion you must have to be productive at this hobby and how hard it can be. (and of course enjoyable).

The MD Cartels advertise "Find riches beyond your wildest imagination," Their adds feature a guy that looks like Lorenzo Lammas in his prime holding their newest model, (Still featuring the same twenty year old technology), with a quote " Ever since purchasing my Fornicator 400 I have found the great outdoors and a new twenty two year old girlfriend."

What they won't tell you is what you are actually paying for. That is not mentioned anywhere.
They won't tell you that they see no need at all to reinvest in innovation. There is no need at all. They have many customers like you.
Also they won't tell you that the salespeople are on commission and that they don't actually earn much at all from each sale.
They won't tell you that most sales people have never hobby detected a day in their life, and they certainly won't tell you that an AT Pro costs less then $20 to produce.

While some people complain, others are lifelong victims......

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold an AT pro in your hand and tell me how good you feel about your $600 purchase..
Every business has overhead. This industry is huge, It is stand alone, and it is experiencing an absolute worldwide renaissance.
There is a huge worldwide market. Absolutely huge. Once again, a huge WORLDWIDE market. The big 3 metal detector cartels are making hundreds of millions of dollars. They have never ever seen times like this. They are absolutely as amazed as I am that they can take their old technology, add a $20 GPS module, color screen, a USB port and sell it for $2500 to people that have no idea what it is they are buying. They are amazed that people like you will pay that much money for something that costs them so little to innovate and ultimately produce. They are amazed that you will defend your purchase even after you realize just how much passion you must have to be productive at this hobby and how hard it can be. (and of course enjoyable).

The MD Cartels advertise "Find riches beyond your wildest imagination," Their adds feature a guy that looks like Lorenzo Lammas in his prime holding their newest model, (Still featuring the same twenty year old technology), with a quote " Ever since purchasing my Fornicator 400 I have found the great outdoors and a new twenty two year old girlfriend."

What they won't tell you is what you are actually paying for. That is not mentioned anywhere.
They won't tell you that they see no need at all to reinvest in innovation. There is no need at all. They have many customers like you.
Also they won't tell you that the salespeople are on commission and that they don't actually earn much at all from each sale.
They won't tell you that most sales people have never hobby detected a day in their life, and they certainly won't tell you that an AT Pro costs less then $20 to produce.

Please produce the docs that show or prove AT Pro costs $20.00 to manufacture. ...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Please produce the docs that show or prove AT Pro costs $20.00 to manufacture. ...

I said produce....Thats including the R & D that went into the Ace platforms ten years ago, Manufacturing the AT Pro costs far less.... Its about the same thing as a cheap battery charger with the most rudimentary scientific calculator innards. All licensed for pennys, and manufactured in a foreign land (where earning $45 a week means you have arrived) for a few dollars.
The twenty dollar figure is high.

Last edited:

speeddemon94

Apr 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has been a riot. I sure do love the free market system.

A couple of weeks ago I started doing the research and I've decided that the 3030 is the machine I WANT...I dont need it, but I like the way it works and looks, so I'm going to sell off one of my long range rifles to fund the purchase, not to mention getting a 17" Smart Coil thrown in for free does not hurt at all. Yeah, 2500 is expensive, but ultimately, I want it, it'll do everything I want and probably more, so I'll have it, and I'll be happy with the money spent.

I'm a retired disabled veteran, anything that gets me out and doing something that I enjoy and doesn't hurt me is worth every penny.

First off, no detector will do everything. Second that 17" coil has balance penalties your back will pay. Just a word of advice! Frank...
View attachment 990836

I want is the operative term there. I cant believe how many people have tried to tell me what I want is wrong in some way. Not saying that is what you've said, but I've done a ton of research and decided that it's the machine I want. I worked hard to earn the money and toys that I have.

And though I'm a disabled vet, I'm still 6'8", and hovering right around 300 pounds. I've rigged a harness for a 23 pound machine gun to pack for hours on end, I'm sure that a 5 or 6 pound detector wont phase me a whole lot.

It all comes back to the free market, capitalist system: The market dictates the price, people are free to pay that price, or not. If people dont pay the price then the prices come down. I am more than happy to pay to play, if I couldn't afford to do so, then I'd have to make sure the wife worked some extra hours ( not really, but it sounds good on paper and as long as she never reads it I wont be beaten to death!) Quality and value for money are worth exactly what someone will pay for it, plain and simple, and to me that 3030 is worth every penny. That's all that really matters.

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting
I originally paid about $950 for my detector, (Minelab SGT) and in about a year after I got accustomed to using it, I recovered my cost .
I often wonder if an ACE 250 would have yielded the same results. I mean not really but....... ( the biggest recent hoard finds in Europe often reported as found using really cheap detectors).
So look at an AT pro for instance...
This thing is an extremely popular well loved machine, I might even get one for its waterproof capability, but have you ever held one?
Honestly it feels like it should cost $30.
I mean specifically is there some super expensive intel or AMD processor technology that goes into these things? I mean a chip board is a chip board right?
Even my SGT which certainly pulls its weight and does pretty much everything I expect it to still costs about $1000 today.
The central unit is boxed in cheap plastic. I literally have to treasure and cherish the detector even while Im hanging upside-down in a cave (not really but), I mean I know it has to be light, but have you ever held a $200. HAM radio? It feels like $200 went into it. The switches are rubberized and waterproof. The cases are plastic but they are designed to feel sturdy. There are waterproof faces and LED's
Im not convinced.......

If 50%+ of MD targets are found between 0"-5" per the poll here on TH then the only reason I can see spending more for a detector that needs to go deeper is strictly for relic hunters imo. Mosty any $100-200 detector will go 5" so if one was just looking at quantity vs. quality I would think they would be just as effective. I agree that most older targets are going to be deeper due to the surface age so that goes without saying imo.

Now, of course, it all depends on what you are hunting, what you want to dig and have deep one wants to dig. I have seen someone with a ACE 250 fly up and down the beach pulling up $10+ in clad and a few rings in less than 2 hours. Then watched someone with a much higher priced machine spend most of the day only to recover just a few worthless targets due to the time spent digging 2 foot holes....

I do agree that even though detectors have got a bit better over the last 30 years they do seen to still be way behind the eightball compared to just the basic Commodore 64 computer I had in the early 80's...It's almost like alot of the detector's on the market now in 2014 aren't running anything much more than those were. Just my opinion.

Happy hunting!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If 50%+ of MD targets are found between 0"-5" per the poll here on TH then the only reason I can see spending more for a detector that needs to go deeper is strictly for relic hunters imo. Mosty any $100-200 detector will go 5" so if one was just looking at quantity vs. quality I would think they would be just as effective. I agree that most older targets are going to be deeper due to the surface age so that goes without saying imo.

Now, of course, it all depends on what you are hunting, what you want to dig and have deep one wants to dig. I have seen someone with a ACE 250 fly up and down the beach pulling up $10+ in clad and a few rings in less than 2 hours. Then watched someone with a much higher priced machine spend most of the day only to recover just a few worthless targets due to the time spent digging 2 foot holes....

I do agree that even though detectors have got a bit better over the last 30 years they do seen to still be way behind the eightball compared to just the basic Commodore 64 computer I had in the early 80's...It's almost like alot of the detector's on the market now in 2014 aren't running anything much more than those were. Just my opinion.

Happy hunting!

Lol! Commodore 64! I had a Commodore Vic 20 with a tape drive...I thought I really had something when I got the 64! Lol

sent from a potato...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I have to agree with you about old and new technology .. They talk about new but it is not new … I have not found a detector now a days that will not go any deeper than they did 35 years ago …and some will not go as deep today as they did way back when...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with you about old and new technology .. They talk about new but it is not new … I have not found a detector now a days that will not go any deeper than they did 35 years ago …and some will not go as deep today as they did way back when...

You want depth? Get a PI. Today's detectors are capable of extreme depth if that's all you want. What the modern detector HAS improved in is seeing conductive targets in heavier mineralization as well as when mixed with ferrous targets.

If you can't see the improvements then you are looking at the old detectors through rose-colored glasses! I see HUGE improvements from what was top-of-the-line 30 years ago to today.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for getting my point, You scored high on the scholastic entrance exams didn't you ?
You know, I've seen two machines that might feature a step up in technology, One I recently purchased, (and have found my first natural form gold, I have to buy a test kit......, but yeah, its gold) and another I used for a few hours in Texas last week.
My recent purchase is the best constructed metal detector I know of and the other left me pleasantly surprised.
If the CTX 3030 is a step up in performance, it cost very very little to achieve this difference. For the most part the actual important technology has stayed the same or gotten worse, while the construction quality has fallen to an all time low. All the while the pricing has skyrocketed.
This might be getting addressed as we speak, but probably not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You want depth? Get a PI. Today's detectors are capable of extreme depth if that's all you want. What the modern detector HAS improved in is seeing conductive targets in heavier mineralization as well as when mixed with ferrous targets.

If you can't see the improvements then you are looking at the old detectors through rose-colored glasses! I see HUGE improvements from what was top-of-the-line 30 years ago to today.

Shhhhhhhh.... The ATX is such a step up I just want it for myself....... expensive but I didn't mind, Little details that prove lots of effort was put forth...... and wow it can detect tiny, tiny little pieces of metal..... What happened to the rest of the line?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said produce....Thats including the R & D that went into the Ace platforms ten years ago, Manufacturing the AT Pro costs far less.... Its about the same thing as a cheap battery charger with the most rudimentary scientific calculator innards. All licensed for pennys, and manufactured in a foreign land (where earning $45 a week means you have arrived) for a few dollars.
The twenty dollar figure is high.

I said prove it otherwise your just blowing smoke.

I have recovered many gold and diamond rings a lot deeper than 5 inches. On the beach it will sink a lot deeper unless there is a hard shell base close to the surface..

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not really eager to see the price of good detectors to be low...there's enough of us looking for the good stuff already...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I said prove it otherwise your just blowing smoke.

I have recovered a lot of gold and diamond rings a lot deeper than 5 inches. on the beach it will sink a lit deeper unless there is a hard she'll base close to the surface..

Blowing smoke,...... You bought one didn't you?
Tell me what it is comprised of besides the absolute cheapest possible materials available to man and I will itemize it for you. $600?
You don't have any idea in the world what kind of electronics are in it do you?

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not really eager to see the price of good detectors to be low...there's enough of us looking for the good stuff already...

sent from a potato...

Even if the cartels stop screwing their customers, this hobby will not get much more popular......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El Pardon,
Have you ever bought a Tesoro? Just curious what your opinion is on build quality vs ML?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blowing smoke,...... You bought one didn't you?
Tell me what it is comprised of besides the absolute cheapest possible materials available to man and I will itemize it for you. $600?
You don't have any idea in the world what kind of electronics are in it do you?

Your the one who said it cost $20 to produce, I said prove it, otherwise your just blowing smoke

No, I have no Idea about electronics. I only built my last 3 computers, I only install and repair the latest Cisco routers used for voice and data....

I have only taken apart my current Sov GT 3 or 4 times, my water proof Sov GT at least that many times before selling it, been inside my excals several times....

My hunting partner is an electronic wizzard who built and runs Minelab repair center for Kellyco....

No I have never seen the inside of metal detectors. ROFLMBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread